Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i appears to me ruger copied the tikka t3 pretty good with the rar series of rifles. there i said it. y'all were thinking the same thing and if ya wasn't look at em both close. except for the bedding block the top of the action is a direct copy like i said minus the safety and bedding block ruger did a good job of copying a darn accurate rifle platform. the most sincere form of flattery is........
Big Ed

I'm not seeing what Ruger copied. Ruger bolt is 3 lug full diameter, Tikka is 2 lug traditional style. Ruger has a savage style barrel nut to set head space, Tikka is spaced off the shoulder with no nut. Ruger uses two V-Blocks for bedding, Tikka uses a recoil lug in the stock that engages a groove in the action. Ruger has a 2 position tang safety, Tikka has a 3 position rocker up by the rear of the action. Ruger has a blade in trigger style trigger, Tikka does not. Ruger uses a rotary magazine, Tikka uses a single stack.

Frankly the only thing that is the same is that they are both modern push feeds with synthetic stocks. Other than that they are completely different.

That said, the Tikka is unbeatable for $700 in my opinion, and the Ruger American is the best for its $350 street price. They are both great rifles. If you are not sure you are going to stick with hunting or are on a budget get the Ruger. If you want the best no compromises light hunting rifle on the market, pay the extra money for the Tikka.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You’re comparing apples to truck rims

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I cannot warm up to bladed triggers... and the RAR stocks feel cheap to me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

You can say that again.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by turkish
I have both. Accuracy is similar. Inspection of fit and finish quickly shows that they are two separate classes of rifles. The Ruger is rough as a cob. Everything about the Tikka feels and looks higher quality — except the plastic mag. Tikka trigger is noticeably better. I got my T3X before prices went up, so at less than $600, it was a steal. On the other hand, I forked over nearly $500 for the RAR-P with AI mag.

Good post. I agree..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

You can say that again.

Haha, this damn site keeps glitching out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t think Tikka invented the bedding block either. I have an old RIFLE magazine (179 Sept. 1998) where Ken Waters describes the way his smith built a lightweight .22/250 on a 700 action. He omitted the washer-style lug and used a separate lug bedded into the stock that fit in a cut into the bottom of the barrel just in front of the receiver. This was done for looks, and Waters wrote he didn’t think it would work well on a rifle with more recoil.

Don’t know if any earlier Tikka or other rifles used that method. Really new ideas are scarce as chicken lips.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don’t think Tikka invented the bedding block either. I have an old RIFLE magazine (179 Sept. 1998) where Ken Waters describes the way his smith built a lightweight .22/250 on a 700 action. He omitted the washer-style lug and used a separate lug bedded into the stock that fit in a cut into the bottom of the barrel just in front of the receiver. This was done for looks, and Waters wrote he didn’t think it would work well on a rifle with more recoil.

Don’t know if any earlier Tikka or other rifles used that method. Really new ideas are scarce as chicken lips.

Look at some of the bizarre front lug setups Sako has used in the past and presently for an answer.

To answer the OP both rifles have bolts so there is that commonality.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Both rifles do fine. But both are compromises to a fine rifle.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka I’d buy at a higher price point. RAR I won’t.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your budget only allows for a Ruger American go for it. I’ll work a little harder for the Tikka.

You ain't about that life.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i appears to me ruger copied the tikka t3 pretty good with the rar series of rifles. there i said it. y'all were thinking the same thing and if ya wasn't look at em both close. except for the bedding block the top of the action is a direct copy like i said minus the safety and bedding block ruger did a good job of copying a darn accurate rifle platform. the most sincere form of flattery is........
Big Ed

When they first came out, I bought a RAR, and it was every bit as nice as a mint-condition pre-64 FW Model 70 in 264 Win Mag that I owned. So I sold the Wincheter. laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had two RAR's, a 243 and an *06. Worst feeding detachable mags I've ever seen on any rifle at any price. Ruger replaced both of them, and they still sucked. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough even though they shot pretty well, they weren't worth the constant hassle.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got the Predator from Ruger, in 6.5 Grendal....

its solid, well put together, is accurate as hell, and takes 223 mags, which feed just fine...

I love the older Tikkas from the 80s, with the wood stocks...

what has kept me from picking up one tho, has been is I don't like the limited access if you have to clear a jam....

if you ever handled a Tikka from the 80s, the actions were smoother than an old well used Krag....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any love for one of the new Mausers? They have me very interested.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I had two RAR's, a 243 and an *06. Worst feeding detachable mags I've ever seen on any rifle at any price. Ruger replaced both of them, and they still sucked. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough even though they shot pretty well, they weren't worth the constant hassle.

Same here but mine was a 308. I think Ruger has come up with an improved magazine since then but I don't see me getting another one.
I'd rather wait for a used Marlin X7 for the same price as the RAR.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Both rifles have their place. I have several RAR’s. All perform well. Just not the form and finish of the tikka.

R
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Any love for one of the new Mausers? They have me very interested.

I think the Mausers are hard to beat at their price. Called my local Bob Wards and they have them for $520. Great trigger, well made stock, 60 deg bolt, bolt locks on safe, and a reputation for phenomenal accuracy. I also think that the storage compartment in the stock is a great idea (keep your hunting tags, folding scalpel and a couple extra rounds so you never have to think about where they are during hunting season). You can also get a 6.5 PRC on Eurooptic for $500.

I think it is a great rifle design; only thing that might be nice is a lighter all weather version to go head to head with Tikka.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is a lot of very good rifles out these days at many price points

IMHO
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.