Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,385 of 1,842 1 2 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1841 1842
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well, i know when i played if we were up like 10 to 15 runs a couple guys would break out the wooden bats... That was fun!!

I dont think wooden bats have been outlawed, I just think composite bats have a huge advantage.....

Also, in Mens league they use a softer softball because of the composite bats.......

Adult softball is crazy, I used to play in tournaments, where they would fly guys in for the weekend,or drive form other states.. They were getting paid 1k or more a month...

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Probably the same dudes that showed up to beer league softball with two batting gloves, eye black, new shiny cleats.... you know the cat.

This reminded me of the douchebag on this team we played against in league softball. He had the eye black on under his sun glasses, his hat on backwards and wore a NY Yankee jersey. (No one else on his team did)

He was constantly screaming and taunting. Even when he was up to bat he would scream chit at the pitcher. He was yelling at us that no one has ever thrown him out when he ran bases because he was so fast. Which was true. He was very fast...until he took off from 1st to 2nd on a short grounder that our pitcher scooped up and fired right into the side of his head when he was half way between the bases. DOWN GOES FRASIER! lol

We were ready for the brawl that was surely going to commence but his teammates were laughing just as hard as we were!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
He was very fast...until he took off from 1st to 2nd on a short grounder that our pitcher scooped up and fired right into the side of his head when he was half way between the bases. DOWN GOES FRASIER! lol

We were ready for the brawl that was surely going to commence but his teammates were laughing just as hard as we were!

grin

That made my morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with slow pitch has mostly been Church League, and ours it pretty civilized. I've seen some other leagues play where it's very intense. Ours is more my speed. Fun, and at the end of the night, the guys share a beverage or two up in the parking lot.

My daughter's fastpitch was a whole different game. The girls played hard, and played for keeps. Ellie was a pitcher, and a pretty good one too. If the opposing pitcher hit one of her girls, Ellie wasn't the least bit afraid to return the favor. If a girl stood in on top of the plate, you could bet Ellie'd pitch her a high inside fastball right under her chin. Running the bases, if she made to second in time to break up a double play, there'd be a shortstop or a 2nd baseman laying on the ground. She wiped out a couple catchers at home too. It was the only way she knew to play the game. She hit one catcher so hard at the plate, she knocked her glove and her mask clear off of her.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Gunner,

That sounds like PA Coal Region softball rules:

Rule 1: Show no mercy

Rule 2: Take no prisoners

Rule 3: Make no apologies

Three simple rules. There was never a need for a 4th.

Proper etiquette did require that beer be shared with the opposing team after the game.

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's a given. grin

Back in the day...way back now I used to play pretty seriously. I'm getting too old for hard slides to second and home, with throat punches and wrestlin' matches.

I'll stick to coaching fourth grade football and little league baseball. smile

I'm not above arguing with a 16 year old ump on a bad call though. smile

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It wasn't the 16 yr old ump that was the problem when I coached. It was the frustrated jock father and helicopter mother who thought their child was playing the wrong position, should be playing more than their 3 innings per game, shouldn't suffer the agony of disappointment, yada, yada, yada. Eight years old and we should be grooming them for a college scholarship when they don't yet know where 1st base is. I don't miss coaching at all.

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh yes, there are a few like that. This year I coached 9,10, and 11. According to most parents, a try-out with a big league club is just around the corner.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seven years ago today....feels like it was just yesterday, we lost Waylon.

It's one of those days I guess.

Guys were here yesterday and did the foam and pex tubing. Now waiting on concrete, which I thought was going to be today but now rain is threatening so not til Monday...unless something else comes up then who knows when. I understand the whole construction deal having grown up with my dad being a heavy equipment operator for over 30 years. Just you know...

Think I'll go plug in my music and mow lawn.

Have a good day everyone, sorry I'm just frustrated.

"I'm not crying!!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you get a new job WB? Glad you had a great day and I hope it was a slump buster for ya!

Yes on the new job. It will be a complete different career for me. NO MORE TIMECLOCKS! smile

It is going very well so far and the benefits are really starting to show up.

The best part is that I got out before ND. hehehehe wink

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember that day clearly.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pam, I'll raise a glass in memory of Waylon.

The weather as sure messed up the cement contractors this year, which in turn backs everything up.

WB congrats on the new job.

Will be leaving Tuesday for Oregon.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Raising a sweaty aluminum can filled with cheap beer, for my amigo.

I miss him so much, my heart just aches. Overall, as they say it gets easier with time.

But some days that's just not true.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

But some days that's just not true.

I hear ya.... I'll tip one of him.

It'll be 7 years since Lucas passed in Oct. It must take longer than 7 years to heal.

The passing of these two men have changed my out look on life. I never did get to meet Waylon, but I know he went FAR too young. Life is to live... so lets get after it!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In February of 2008 I lost my best friend of fifty years.We had been room mates in college. Walked parts of the Appalachian Trail together. Did a lot of stuff together. I loved him like the brother I never had. I miss Tom every day.
The true measure of a man is how he lives on in the minds of those he left.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I shall raise a glass as well. This tugs at the heart. Sending good thoughts to Dave & Mrs ND and family as well as Muffy and her family. May you find peace.

As most of you know, I lost my brother to an accident a few months before Waylon. They were nearly the same age. Like Dave, I miss him every day. Time may fade the memory a bit, but I'm not sure it gets any easier.

So I try to focus on the positive. On August 2, his 43rd birthday, my boy and I are going to put up a half dozen wood duck boxes. My brother and I spent our best times together in the marsh. The wood duck nests will bring new life there...sort of completing the circle.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Probably the same dudes that showed up to beer league softball with two batting gloves, eye black, new shiny cleats.... you know the cat.

This reminded me of the douchebag on this team we played against in league softball. He had the eye black on under his sun glasses, his hat on backwards and wore a NY Yankee jersey. (No one else on his team did)

He was constantly screaming and taunting. Even when he was up to bat he would scream chit at the pitcher. He was yelling at us that no one has ever thrown him out when he ran bases because he was so fast. Which was true. He was very fast...until he took off from 1st to 2nd on a short grounder that our pitcher scooped up and fired right into the side of his head when he was half way between the bases. DOWN GOES FRASIER! lol

grin

In the late '70's we had a pretty intense intramural Navy league at Barber's Point NAS. There was a guy like that on one of the teams. Just an A number one a$$hole! We were playing them one afternoon and he was trying to score from second base on a hit to left field. I was playing third base and set up for the relay to home. As I took the throw and whirled to throw home, in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "that sucker is either gonna be 'out' or 'out cold' ". The ball whizzed between his ear and his shoulder...I'm guessing it missed his ear by no more than inch and he flinched big time! grin

OUT! After the inning was over our catcher came up to me and asked with a smirk, "you were trying to hit that guy weren't you?" I just smiled.

The shortstop on our high school team (drafted right out of high school) was really good at turning double plays and used a side armed throw to first to get the runner to slide. In a game one afternoon, the runner going to second was a bit slow to slide and the ball nailed him right above the bill of his helmet. Out cold! The ball ended up going over the bleachers along the first base line. shocked

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ellie had a heated rivalry with another pitcher from our same town. They were always vying for top honors in our program until they both went to club teams and didn't cross paths much any more. In a dome game one winter, the other pitcher hit one batter all day, and it happened to be my daughter. This girl had good control, and it was no accident. It was a fastball, and drilled her right in the ribs. Ellie sneered at her, and told her "nice change-up!" as she took her base. She ended up coming all the way around to score the winning run. They were only up by one going into the last inning when the other pitcher came up. Ellie knew she couldn't risk hitting her with the game close, but she sure made it an interesting at bat. Three high insdie fastballs, all aimed at her head. By the third time diving out of the way, she wanted nothing to do with Ellie. The coach was just going beserk, yelling from third base that Ellie was trying to hit her. A curve ball across the outside corner for strike one, a fastball right down the middle, and a low out side change up that she was a good three feet in front of as she flailed at it. Ellie's catcher said to the opposing pitcher, "now THAT'S how you use a CHANGEUP!"

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
smile

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There are no bugs today, because the wind is blowing 40 mph.

Something clever here.

Page 1,385 of 1,842 1 2 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.