Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,658 of 1,842 1 2 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Kinda weird, but, I remember where I was when I typed the first post on this thread. It was a crappy, rainy, cold, August day. I was the Sup on an earthen dike/dam project in northern WI.

After that, I couldn't stop checking in. It was started when the campfire was great.

After all these years, this thread has remained true to friends/family. No fighting, name calling, or anything. Even if folks disagreed on other forums on this site. If they conversed here with respect to the Shaw family and what this thread was for.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That is true, and pretty remarkable. A fortunate experience.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In true Camp Chickenbuck fashion we are all pleasant and polite.
Dave ,when you order 10th. anniversary stuff I want a Camp Chickenbuck full zip hoodie sweatshirt wif hand warmer pockets in XL. I prefer a wine color.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Kinda weird, but, I remember where I was when I typed the first post on this thread. It was a crappy, rainy, cold, August day. I was the Sup on an earthen dike/dam project in northern WI.

After that, I couldn't stop checking in. It was started when the campfire was great.

After all these years, this thread has remained true to friends/family. No fighting, name calling, or anything. Even if folks disagreed on other forums on this site. If they conversed here with respect to the Shaw family and what this thread was for.
Well said Tom. I fully admit that I come here to find a dose of sanity within the confines of the fire.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did a little work on the boat yesterday. I replaced the stern light socket, and when I traced the wiring, the guy who had it before me had spliced 3 chunks of misc. wire together to run the light. I will be going through everything eventually and getting rid of this mess. I really appreciate clean wiring, so that's my first big project here, I guess.

Last edited by gophergunner; 04/09/17.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Boats are like trailers to me. I could run bran-spankin new wiring, stem to stern, and it would still work only when it wants to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True dat, Tom. I always think it's a good trip if I've got more than one light on the trailer actually working.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not much for maudlin anniversarys, but it's been 10 years to the day I lost my brother in a traffic accident. He was about the same age as Waylon, born 8/71.

He spent some time in the Army during the Gulf War coming out an SF guy from 5th Group. Went to college on the GI bill and became a field biologist.

He loved anything outdoors, but he really liked duck and deer camp. He hunted with me as soon as he was old enough. The only time we missed an opener together was when he was over there in Uncle Sam's employ. He would only hunt with Grandpa's old Marlin 336C, that was, yes, a 30-30. His time in SF made him deadly accurate with it. He always told me I had too much schit on my belt; knife, ammo, light, gps, etc. so much, that it became a deer camp joke. I travel lighter these days. For duck season, the first round out of my gun for the season is one of his old shells. I have enough to do it until I'm 83.

It was here, this thread, that I came for quiet healing. Good people here. I am so very grateful for Dave starting this. It got me through some tough times.

So I ask that you may join me to raise a glass tonight; (cheap stuff - my brother was a blackberry brandy or Busch guy) to my brother, my hunting pard, and my friend, Corey. Thanks.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Glass raised (twice),prayer said. RIP warrior.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

So I ask that you may join me to raise a glass tonight; (cheap stuff - my brother was a blackberry brandy or Busch guy) to my brother, my hunting pard, and my friend, Corey. Thanks.

I missed this last night and I'm sorry I did.

I will tell you what CFT, I'm going to the shack tomorrow to turkey hunt and I will bring Busch Light to pop for Corey. I happen to have Blackberry on hand. For some crazy reason, I like that cough syrup.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice tribute CF.

10 years, that's something huh? I guess I'm soon at 10 years for the grieving that initiated this whole effort as well.

I don't know about you but I've seen a lot of changes in 10 years. More loss, more growth... The kids have grown, I've slowed down as my physical awesomeness has seemingly left me. lol! It's funny how we adapt though. That's the important thing, adapt, find new ways to charge forward and don't drop your values along the way.

It's shaping up to be a good year. Things are certainly different, but they are good.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Different for sure Dave. With the exception of the losses, I'm going to say different in a good way on this end.

But this October, it will be 10 years since Lucas passed as well. I still think of him every day.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

I'm sorry I missed this until now Steve. If it's not to late and if it's alright with you, I'll raise a glass to Corey tonight.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I guess I'm soon at 10 years for the grieving that initiated this whole effort as well.

Things are certainly different, but they are good.

It took awhile and the scars are definately still there but I agree.

We should really plan a fun filled get together of sorts in June.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rooster7

I'm sorry I missed this until now Steve. If it's not to late and if it's alright with you, I'll raise a glass to Corey tonight.

Ha! It's never too late! My brother wasn't exactly known for his punctuality. grin His tardiness was usually due to a "quality nap" as he used to call them.

Thanks fellas. Loss is just the circle of life. We who continue on keep the good memories, deal with our new normal, and look forward to the next thing. I'm pretty sure those we've lost would want us to do it that way.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's quitting time at the hot rod factory. I believe I will have a tardy toast as well.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, almost !

+1 when I get home too CFT.

Happy Easter everybody.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Happy Easter!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy Easter to all the Chickenbuckers, and all our friends and family. Everyone please drive safe.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happy Easter everyone, I'm visiting my folks with my oldest in tow. His grandpa and I have been planning a fishing trip to Ontario in June. The place used to be private until the past year. We'll be among the first to fish 6 lakes that have otherwise seen very little pressure. Hoping for a good time. Haven't done a trip like this with my dad and uncles since 1998. I'm making an effort to take the time to do things like this and to not be too busy.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 1,658 of 1,842 1 2 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.