-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,760 of 1,842 1 2 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to get the juices flowing, I saw 5 bucks in a nearby beanfield last night. Two were big, two were bigger, and one was downright BIG. They all look good now in velvet, but this guy looked to be a wide heavy 8 or 10 point in the making.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They have a bit of growing to do, but they should be shaping up now. I can't wait to start seeing a few without velvet.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
tzone,
Didn't you say you were a fan of the Rem 760? I bought an old one as a project gun, it's a 30-06 with almost no bluing left on it but there is no pitting or rust. It has been drilled & tapped for a scope & the rear sight removed. I am thinking about converting it to a carbine version, basically just shortening the barrel and maybe just go without open sights mounting an old Weaver 4x scope. Haven't decided on the finish yet. Any thoughts tzone or anyone else?

Dave, Congrats on the new grandbabies.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I love the idea. Shorten it up, have it cerakoted. How’s the wood?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those old Weaver K-4's just seem to soldier on forever. Sounds like a sweet vintage correct set up for the northwoods of Michigan.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They’re cool for nostalgia but compared to even a chap Nikon the glass stinks. I have one that was on a rifle I inherited from my Grandpa. I had to switch it out. Once I shoot a deer with that gun, I’ll throw it back on it.

Last edited by tzone; 08/02/19.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The wood is nothing special but its in good shape, has the steel butt plate of course. Wouldn't be an old deer rifle without that. Cerakote is an option I have been considering. Some of the old scopes are better than others but no they don't compare to today's stuff. Still better than open sights and since it's been drilled & missing the rear sight an old Weaver scope & mounts just seems the only answer. Thanks for the input. Will post a pic when I get it done.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jim,

I’d consider a pachmyr decelerator instead of the steel plate. If you don’t like the modern look of the decelerator, you could go with a plain old pachmyr, ventilated pad. Kinda old school.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Old guy, old guns.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Jim,

I’d consider a pachmyr decelerator instead of the steel plate. If you don’t like the modern look of the decelerator, you could go with a plain old pachmyr, ventilated pad. Kinda old school.

What's a pachmyr? Kidding, it's a classic deer rifle, has to have the original plate.
I know the steel makes for a bit more recoil but I like the look and I've never really felt any recoil when I've shot a deer. Even my new (40+) year old 760 has a plastic butt plate. Not that much fun to shoot off a bench but not brutal either.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I briefly looked at the new regs. We're either 171 or the CWD zone. Need to see a more detailed map than the one I found on line. Where we hunt is right by where those two sections meet.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Jim,

What's a pachmyr? Kidding, it's a classic deer rifle, has to have the original plate.
I know the steel makes for a bit more recoil but I like the look and I've never really felt any recoil when I've shot a deer. Even my new (40+) year old 760 has a plastic butt plate. Not that much fun to shoot off a bench but not brutal either.

I don't actually think the 06's kick much in the 760/7600. 270's are fine, .280 and & .243 is fine. For some reason, the .308 is a snappy bastard in those guns and I don't like it. Not that I can't tolerate it, but I sure don't like it.

That's a great gun for MI. You're going to like it a lot.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I briefly looked at the new regs. We're either 171 or the CWD zone. Need to see a more detailed map than the one I found on line. Where we hunt is right by where those two sections meet.

They changed em up again?

We hunted one of those areas a few years ago. One side of the road was hunters choice and the other side of the road was 5 tags per guy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The topic of deer hunting came up at our house over the weekend. It's starting to be discussed a lot more. laugh The boy want's to start talking "dates" and places.

My step-daughter will start hunters safety this week. She's pretty excited. She won't hunt deer this year becasue of some other commitments, but we'll try to find a few grouse for her to pop.

We're going to start off in SD again this year. He drew a youth "any anterless" tag. We'll head to the Black Hills in October to fill that. Any excuse I can use to get there I'll take!

Not sure what we're going to do in MN yet. He's got a place to hunt at his Step-dads land. He shot a few does there last year. We may go with a family friend up in the Cotton, MN area as well.

In WI I we're staying out of the woods this year by the stands. We always have a bunch of pics of nice bucks, but when the season rolls around, we don't see much. We'll go in Labor Day weekend and make sure they're all up and everything is secure and stay out until the season starts. Debating on whether or not to put up cameras.

Between the bear hunters, grouse hunters, jack lighters, and coyotes, they're getting enough b.s. thrown at them. This is public land of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The topic of deer hunting came up at our house over the weekend. It's starting to be discussed a lot more. laugh The boy want's to start talking "dates" and places.

My step-daughter will start hunters safety this week. She's pretty excited. She won't hunt deer this year becasue of some other commitments, but we'll try to find a few grouse for her to pop.

We're going to start off in SD again this year. He drew a youth "any anterless" tag. We'll head to the Black Hills in October to fill that. Any excuse I can use to get there I'll take!

Not sure what we're going to do in MN yet. He's got a place to hunt at his Step-dads land. He shot a few does there last year. We may go with a family friend up in the Cotton, MN area as well.

In WI I we're staying out of the woods this year by the stands. We always have a bunch of pics of nice bucks, but when the season rolls around, we don't see much. We'll go in Labor Day weekend and make sure they're all up and everything is secure and stay out until the season starts. Debating on whether or not to put up cameras.

Between the bear hunters, grouse hunters, jack lighters, and coyotes, they're getting enough b.s. thrown at them. This is public land of course.

Good luck to you guys this fall Tom. Fill that freezer!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had to hastily apply brakes this morning, to avoid filling my buck tag early !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We had some early fall like weather this morning. Temps in the low 50’s. Had the windows down all the way in.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
12 years today. It sure doesn't seem that long.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, WOW !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah, been a good run.

Have made some good friends right here from this very thread.

Page 1,760 of 1,842 1 2 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 65 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.