Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,778 of 1,842 1 2 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
BM,

Hard to believe your bucks only weights 160. Pics make it look much bigger.

My late FIL shot a WI 10pt that was very skinny and small in body. I’d bet it didn’t weigh 150 pounds.

I would be surprised if yours is only 160 tho. We have forkies that big up north.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, ours too !

Big bodies, small racks for the most part !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Berettaman,
Awesome buck! Congrats!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tzone,
well, give it credit for the last pound...it was 161! We weighed my sons 2.5 year old and it weighed 181 which is in line with what a 2.5 should have weighed roughly. I hung on the scale and it was accurate. We also have forkys that will hit that weight. But the nose to eye measurement doesnt lie either...7 1/4". That is really small for a rack that size as most taxidermied bucks are in that 7 3/4 to 8" range. We are as confused as everyone. We are getting a tooth aged to solve the mystery. I just dont think there is any way possible a wild deer grows that rack at 2.5. And no, there are no deer farms around.

Some really great bucks shot this year by Chickenbuckers, highlighted by Joey's monster!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You might be surprised at the age. Rumors have it the world record by milo Hanson was 3.5.

A guy I worked with was ready to go to war with the DNR when he found out the 23” wide, 140” 8pt he shot was 2.5yrs old. He refused to believe it, because he was a huge promoter of QDM and didn’t want to be ridiculed for shooting a young buck.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tom....How are you guys doing in Wi?

I got a buck up in Bigfork. 4 point rack, 12" spread, 12" long main beams with one non-symmetrical tine on each beam. DNR aged him at 2.5, we weighed him at 160#.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats Jeff!

We haven’t connected in WI yet. Strange year. Not much for deer sightings at all actually. We’re going to head back up Friday morning and give it a shot for a few more days.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Happy Thanksgiving all!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all my "cyber" friends in the USA.

Had ours a month ago.

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To all our members here, Happy Thanksgiving, and I hope your significant others FLIP YOU THE BIRD!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We're back from snowy northern WI. Meat was made and good times were had by all. The cabin was perfect for what we needed it for. I should have taken some pics of it. I'm not sure why I didn't actually.

Jack was the only one to get a deer down. I had 3 teenage boys with me. So, there was a learning curve for us all. lol. That's a lot of boys to watch over and track down at the end of each hunt.

I'll get some pics posted up later after I catch back up at work with all the emails from being gone for nearly a month. laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations to the Hammer Clan !

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't even need to hunt anymore. The kid fills the freezer and I drive him to hunting spots. laugh

He had a nice buck at 30 yards that he said was as wide as his ears. But it was behind brush doing the "head-bob" and he couldn't get a good shot at it. He was pretty shook up. grin Had a touch of the 'fever'.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, yeah, that's what it's all about Tom !!

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well it took me a bit. But lets get to some pictures of a week of WI deer hunting.

Here was what I was looking at opening day
Looking NW
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Looking NE

in the 2nd pic (looking ne) you can see a deer trail in the gap between the pines that comes up to the two dirt humps there... a doe and a teeny tiny fawn walked along it, right up to within 20 feet of me. The fawn didn't have a care in the world, even after they discovered me. The doe just turned and walked back the way they came from.

This was the other spot I watched for days without a deer. laugh This is up on a ridge that drops down into a brushy patch of blueberry type brush about waist high. They bed in it. Tough to see them. They travel right at the edge of the shooting lane looking west and along the side of the hill looking north.
Looking west

Looking north

Last edited by tzone; 12/11/19.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We stayed 6 days and hunted 5 for the first round. We left Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving so we could get home and help with the Thanksgiving dinner. We headed back up early Friday morning to beat a "storm" that was supposedly on the way. But you know with the weather guessers, it may or may not come. We figured if it was coming, Friday afternoon would be a great time to be in the woods. It wasn't. laugh Neither of us saw a deer or even fresh tracks.

A couple of our buddies showed up Friday night and we headed to my parents place for a lasagna dinner. Expecting to see deer at every turn because the "storm was coming." Or was it?

It was and did! Wind was blowing steady 20 MPH with gusts up to 40 MPH.Plenty cold for hunting from a treestand.

I decided for the last weekend of the season, I was going to use my Grandpa's Remington 740, in 30-06 of course, that I inherited last summer. Figured "what the hell, and threw on the plaid red/black wool coat, wool bibs, and wool Kromer too. Hoping Grandpa would nudge something my way.

We decided to swap stands for the morning to see some different scenery. Snow was falling at what seemed like 2 or 3 inches/hr. There was 3 or so on the ground as you can see from the other pics. By 9:00 the wind was really howling, snow was piling up fast and I was starting to wonder if we should maybe hunt closer to a road so we could get out of the woods. A few minutes later I heard a shot that sounded like a muzzle loader. A very strange, ppfffft-poW! and them what I thought was some talking. I was shocked someone else was hunting by us. We've not seen anyone back there before.

A minute or so after that I got a text from the kid saying " got her. watched her fall." now I was more shocked that it was Jack. He was hunting about 200 yards from me to the SW. The shot sounded like it was east. The snow had everything goofed up.

I texted back "that was you?!!" and I heard the Chicken Buck "whooo-looo-looo-looo" grin I told him to stay put I'd be on my way.

I guess Grandpa nudged something, but it was to the wrong kid. laugh

On the way to the stand I walked up on this.

He saw me stop and figured I found it. The stand he was in is in the trees in the very background of the picture. There were 3 does and no fawns coming through. He picked the one that gave him a good shot. He said the others hit his wind and stopped with their noses in the air. Shot was 50 yards, slightly 1/4'ing to him. Hit the shoulder, heart, lungs, and didn't come out. She ran 25-30 yards blowing blood out the nose.

I kinda wanted to hunt the rest of the morning until noon. But with the snow coming like it was, we decided to get the deer back to the cabin and 1/4'd up to bring home. Because we planned on leaving that night after supper. I'm glad we went with that route.

There was about 1 foot of snow at the time he shot. We got back about 1hr later and it was snowing harder. The other boys came in at 12:30 or so from the woods for lunch and to start to pack up. My buddy and his son left their blinds in the woods because our plan was to hunt after lunch. The boys wanted to stay in and watch the Badgers beat up on the Gopher football team. So, we headed out to pull 2 blinds and a stand. In the 2 hrs we were at the shack, the blinds collapsed due to the snow. We got them out, pulled a ladder stand down and it was about 4:00. Just in time to have some daylight to get back to the cabin, load up, and head home.

We made it about 2 miles on a logging road, to the main gravel road that is usually plowed because it's the main route through there. Our truck tracks weren't even visible with the snow blowing all over the place. We got to the highway and kept on the road by the rumble strip. It was that bad. I've never seen it snow that hard before, ever. I called my wife and told here we're not driving home in this, but we'd leave early in the morning. We had to get back early Sunday for the 2PM MN Wild Game we had tix for.

All our food was packed and loaded in the truck, so we got back and told the boys that we were going to be forced to walk a block down the road to the bar for pizza and beer for the night. We were all disappointed. grin grin grin

Woke up Sunday morning to this

There ended up being 28" of snow that fell on Saturday.

Awesome, fun hunt. Can't wait to get back!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tom,

Great pics and story of your hunt! Congrats to Jack! That is big 'ol Roman nosed doe!

Ish....I don't like seeing snow like that. Not after last year. lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks for the detailed post with great pics, Tom.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like a good time Tom. Congrats

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Liked the pics and story, congrats to Jack. 28 inches, wow!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1,778 of 1,842 1 2 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
525 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.