-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,819 of 1,842 1 2 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1841 1842
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ivy & Izzy are both german shorthaired pointers Rio.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeppers !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great Pooch pics Paul. Fun times ahead for those two and your family.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Girlfriend has a Chinesium CNC laser engraver from Bezos.

Made these for the camp. They're not glued up yet but you can see how they're made by cutting and then stacking layers and then she just stains/colors the wood with sharpies. Got a little jig made to ensure they stack very straight so you can't really tell the layers on the edges. Just 2 good straight lines at a perfect 90* to stick them into. Basswood.

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very Nice

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea�. Wood stove� It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers� I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

15 years. 15 years.

How is it even possible that it has been 15 years since this thread started?

It's crazy to sit here and think back on all the things that this thread has seen come and go.

I, myself, have been through a wedding, a birth(she shares Ryan's birthday), and a divorce in the the last 10 years.

Posters, real/virtual camp members, family/friends, some have simply just disappeared, while others we have truly lost.

I say "we", as I don't know how others who have interacted on this thread feel, but I've just always felt like kind of a long-lost Uncle to all the kids that we've watched grow up through this thread/journey.

I mean, some of them even have kids of their own now, and that wasn't even a thought back then, as they were just kids themselves.

Wheezy, RWS, PWM/Preacher, Captain, Runs in Darkness, Falls in Water, Kennedy, Jackson, Cale, Sylvia, White Bear's Ben, Dean's Lauren and the twin boys, Cole, wabo's daughter with all the heart issues, noduck's kids, Bill's grandson, and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Dusty, Grizzly Bill, SSB and many others that just seem to come to mind whenever I open this thread. Which I do quite often and pick any random old page number and read a few pages to reminisce.

I have/had so much more I'd like to say/include but I'm running short on time for now.

I do have a few questions though:

How many boats has tzone owned since the start of this thread?

Is Earl(I seem to remember his name being Earl, or was it Gene, or similar) still enjoying the Road Runner? (I don't have the time to dig around and find it at this moment)

Did Pam's truck from her Dad ever get into the restore rotation? Carlos?

What about Black Betty and Yeller? They still around?

Are we EVER going to see the pics of that fragile 'luminum trailer that was deemed too difficult to talk about SO many years ago, or is Dave still pushing those feelings down deep inside? Seems I remember hints of a ice cream sandwich wrapper being some part of the equation somehow?

Last but not least(for now)............................................

Did Muffy ever get married?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ben300WSM

That's hillarious....I just ordered the new one today. LMAO!! grin grin

That makes 9 btw.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

Made these for the camp. They're not glued up yet but you can see how they're made by cutting and then stacking layers and then she just stains/colors the wood with sharpies. Got a little jig made to ensure they stack very straight so you can't really tell the layers on the edges. Just 2 good straight lines at a perfect 90* to stick them into. Basswood.

Those are cool!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea�. Wood stove� It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers� I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

15 years. 15 years.

How is it even possible that it has been 15 years since this thread started?

It's crazy to sit here and think back on all the things that this thread has seen come and go.

I, myself, have been through a wedding, a birth(she shares Ryan's birthday), and a divorce in the the last 10 years.

Posters, real/virtual camp members, family/friends, some have simply just disappeared, while others we have truly lost.

I say "we", as I don't know how others who have interacted on this thread feel, but I've just always felt like kind of a long-lost Uncle to all the kids that we've watched grow up through this thread/journey.

I mean, some of them even have kids of their own now, and that wasn't even a thought back then, as they were just kids themselves.

Wheezy, RWS, PWM/Preacher, Captain, Runs in Darkness, Falls in Water, Kennedy, Jackson, Cale, Sylvia, White Bear's Ben, Dean's Lauren and the twin boys, Cole, wabo's daughter with all the heart issues, noduck's kids, Bill's grandson, and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Dusty, Grizzly Bill, SSB and many others that just seem to come to mind whenever I open this thread. Which I do quite often and pick any random old page number and read a few pages to reminisce.

I have/had so much more I'd like to say/include but I'm running short on time for now.

I do have a few questions though:

Is Earl(I seem to remember his name being Earl, or was it Gene, or similar) still enjoying the Road Runner? (I don't have the time to dig around and find it at this moment)

Did Pam's truck from her Dad ever get into the restore rotation? Carlos?

What about Black Betty and Yeller? They still around?

Are we EVER going to see the pics of that fragile 'luminum trailer that was deemed too difficult to talk about SO many years ago, or is Dave still pushing those feelings down deep inside? Seems I remember hints of a ice cream sandwich wrapper being some part of the equation somehow?

Last but not least(for now)............................................

Did Muffy ever get married?

That is quite a write up. I was thinking about Grizzly Bill just this weekend. It's been sometime since he passed. But I was driving by the area I was when his wife told me he'd passed. Man I miss Bill.

15 years is a hellova run. We've had our family grow and change, and grow again. Job changes, house changes, marriages, divorces, college, death, life, hunting, fishing, getting old. Wow what a trip we've been on through this thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^^^^^^No doubt !^^^^^^^^

Have loved being able to follow along !

Paul.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Teal

Those are cool!

I want to take one, fill it with resin and then mount some LED's in the side to light them up. Think that might be neat.

Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Teal those are great!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
Teal those are great!

Thanks. I dig them. She also made some buffalo plaid flannel curtains last year for the place. Snuck in a Deadpool emblem on the back of one of them. Originals were 40 years old, cheap, thin and literally crumbled to dust when we swapped them out.

We don't see each other during the week and when I ask "wyd" and get "a project" as an answer mid-week, I know I'm getting something cool for the shack. I should probably marry her.

Me

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

That's hillarious....I just ordered the new one today. LMAO!! grin grin

That makes 9 btw.

How many new deer rifles have found their way into the safe in that time? Would like to see a recap of the bucks taken since the start of all this, especially the kids, then & now kind of pics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Epic thread, for sure!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I rarely check in to the campfire anymore, but when I do, I come here. Lots of good people here over the years. I still have my Swamp Squid Bade of Courage hanging on my office wall. I earned that sucker!

I just dropped my daughter off at college last weekend. Wow, that is a big day. She likes it. My boys are 14 and are doing great. Sports, hunting and fishing is their life right now. Girls are just starting to creep into the picture.

Hunting and fishing have been going well with big bucks and bulls harvested by the kids (my daughter shot a 161" whitetail last year!! So proud of her!). Actually got to go to Canada this year and had great fishing.

I am still running Youth Outdoor Activity Day (dot org). We expect over 2,000 kids this weekend in Alexandria. If you are close, go to our website for more info. Completely free with over 5,000 prizes.

There is your West Central MN update, free of charge!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Starting to fart around with some rifles a little bit this week. Put a scope on a 760 I bought last year but didn’t get ready in time.

Picked up a .270 Win today that has a scope on it. I might just use it as-is this season, or wait. I don’t know…

Going to sight in a 30-30 that I didn’t get to use last year either.

More rifles than time as always. I haven’t shot a deer with my grandpa’s 740 in 30-06 yet either.

Anyways….what’s up fellas?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Anyone headed out this weekend? The kind and I are going to check some stands, hang some cameras and chase local women.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone headed out this weekend? The kind and I are going to check some stands, hang some cameras and chase local women.

Negative. I don't hunt WI for anything but ducks and that's been 10 years lol. Michigan deer doesn't open till Oct 1 for bow of which, I'm skipping this year's bow season. I need a new bow and work's nuts. Wanted to get out this weekend for opener grouse in the Yoop but things are "variable" right now with work - lots of projects coming on-line so I'm screwed.

I'll be up there next weekend for sure at the latest.

Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What kind of bow are you looking at?

I’m thinking about one as well but it won’t be this year. I’d REALLY like to bow hunt this season though. We’ll see how fast my plate fills up.

Page 1,819 of 1,842 1 2 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.