Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,820 of 1,842 1 2 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Got 2 rifles cleaned up yesterday. My .308 and the .270 that found it's way home a few weeks ago. I'm about 75% that .270 has never been cleaned. Like, EVER.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Got 2 rifles cleaned up yesterday. My .308 and the .270 that found it's way home a few weeks ago. I'm about 75% that .270 has never been cleaned. Like, EVER.

I worked at a small gun store for a while doing minor gunsmithing & cleaning. I was always amazed at how absolutely filthy some of them were. One guy brought in a new stainless inline muzzleloader. Said he shot it a few times after buying it, the year before, but didn't clean it. He wanted us to clean it for him. Stainless isn't stainless in a muzzleloader! It was destroyed.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep that wrecks them quickly Jim.

My son and I got 4 cameras set up today. Spread out over about 3 miles. We saw plenty of deer today. About 10 throughout the day. We saw 3 separate sets of bear tracks as well. Bear season is in full swing in WI. Groups of hunters were after them with dogs this week.

I have a feeling we will have about a month of bear pics before the deer pics start coming in.

We also found a potential stand site. We did hang a cam on it. It’s between two roads. About 1/4 mile apart, maybe a bit less. One road is pretty well traveled and one is an old logging road. I like the location because it can be accessed from either direction, depending on the wind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What kind of bow are you looking at?

I’m thinking about one as well but it won’t be this year. I’d REALLY like to bow hunt this season though. We’ll see how fast my plate fills up.

My old bow is a Reflex Growler and about 15 years old or so. Hoyt's bargain line back in the day.

I've had Hoyt, Darton and Matthews in the past. Brother's had those, Elite and Bowtech. Dad had those and Jennings back in the 70's.

I'm thinking new one will likely be Hoyt. Like their products - just need to make time really.

Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I was looking at a Matthews V3X and a Diamond Edge 320. I really don’t need one. But theirs so much quieter and smoother than my 20 year old bow. Even the lower end units.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Took the 250 mile road trip to check the cams. Had deer, bear, wolf, fox and grouse and rabbits pictured. Only problem was the bear or bears played with the cameras pointed them into the brush in late June so not many pictures after. eek

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Played around in the bushes today. Have over 4000 pics from 2 weeks on 4 cameras. 3 bucks, the biggest is a 3 point

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Played around in the bushes today. Have over 4000 pics from 2 weeks on 4 cameras. 3 bucks, the biggest is a 3 point

I usually end up with 1000 pictures of moving grass.

Me

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Teal

So I'm not the only one. Lol. I took a weed eater out with me last time I checked the camera cards and cut down the tall grass in front of the camera. Now I only get 500 pic's of moving grass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At least we're no longer paying to develop those pictures. I do remember one of the first "contraptions" we had were basically little clocks with a string. Deer walks through, pulls the string and stops the clock. You now knew when they were using the trail. Sorta. Then film cameras came...

Oddly enough - I don't get excited over the cameras. Brother loves em, uses them all over but it's mostly just to see "what's out there" - not so much as "this is where I need to hunt" type of thing.

We're not big on "target bucks" but if you have pictures of a pile of 8 points, I tend to hold off on the smaller guys, "hoping". I'm getting old - the killing isn't all that important to me. Not like when I was 16-25

Me

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'd wager a guess and say there is about 500-700 pics of grass. I had one cam that usually has 300-600 pics of deer on it from a 2 week soak. It had 3100. Deer, turkey, bear, and a fox with some random moving tree pics but less than 100. This is on public land. There is a guy about a 1/2 mile away that has some pretty good food plots. End of Oct we'll usually get a monster on the cam chasing a doe but we haven't for a few years now.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jc189

So I'm not the only one. Lol. I took a weed eater out with me last time I checked the camera cards and cut down the tall grass in front of the camera. Now I only get 500 pic's of moving grass.

Funny you say that. I actually but a brush cutter attachment for my Milwaukee weed whacker. When we hung the cams a few weeks ago it seemed a lot more "thick" than it usually does.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Anybody knock a deer down with the bow yet?

First frost of the year here and it has me feelin kinky... It's getting to be that time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Frost #3 here this morning Tom !

Yes, itch starting.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Yes, itch starting.

You can get some cream for that. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Now I do have a good story that I will steal from a buddy of mine because I think its worth sharing with you deer crazy lunatics. smile

This buddy of mine is a few years younger and some of his old classmates and him leased some hunting land by Bemidji. The area is dense forest and swamp land bordered by state land. They all built big fancy stands and cut shooting lanes for the rifle season. Well they are up there for a few days and don't even see a deer so one day one of the guys takes a case of beer with him to the stand to fight the boredom. One of the more dedicated hunters was always watching his shooting lane with binoculars every few minutes so this guy who was drinking beer decides to pull a prank on him. He walks to the edge of the shooting lane about 150 yards out, strips down to nothing but his orange hat and boots. He waited until the guy raised his binoculars and slowly walked out and across the shooting lane butt naked with his face turned away. The other guys all of a sudden get a call on the two way radio's saying "uh.....guys.....I'm heading back to camp" They said "why?" He said "I think I have been out here too long...I just seen a f**kin naked hunter walk through my shooting lane"
That night they went to the bar and this guy is telling all the locals to watch out for the naked hunter who is roaming the woods. The other guys were about busting a gut. Then this same guy who stripped down in the woods goes outside and comes walking back into the bar wearing nothing but his orange hat and boots and his sweat sock covering his purple headed yogurt slinger! The whole bar erupted in laughter! You have to hear my buddy tell the story. It's hilarious when you get the expressions with it!

Mother of Christ I don't know how I've missed this story every time I've read this cover to cover...but I have. OMG I'm dying. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

First frost of the year here and it has me feelin kinky... It's getting to be that time.

I just shot a nice Doe opening weekend of bow season.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
thumbnail (9).jpg (23.58 KB, 94 downloads)
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
At least we're no longer paying to develop those pictures. I do remember one of the first "contraptions" we had were basically little clocks with a string. Deer walks through, pulls the string and stops the clock. You now knew when they were using the trail. Sorta. Then film cameras came...

When I was a kid my uncles use those. I remember them.

Oddly enough - I don't get excited over the cameras. Brother loves em, uses them all over but it's mostly just to see "what's out there" - not so much as "this is where I need to hunt" type of thing.

Pretty much where we're at as well. I think we've probably shot 3 deer that we had on camera over the last 10 years. lol

We don't have "target bucks" either. See above...we just don't see them much after the rut starts.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jc189

I just shot a nice Doe opening weekend of bow season.

[Linked Image]

You did what you had to do...it looks like it broke into your garage! laugh laugh

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]

That's just before she was about to be turned into burger and sausage.

Here's one just before she broke into my garage. Lol

l[Linked Image]

Attached Images
thumbnail (6).jpg (32.79 KB, 84 downloads)
thumbnail (9).jpg (23.58 KB, 71 downloads)
Last edited by jc189; 09/29/22.
Page 1,820 of 1,842 1 2 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.