24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello,

I'm searching for a set of 450 AK Imp dies..the ones with the shoulder, I'm looking at 24 months for a custom set from anybody, so if anybody has a set they would be willing to let go. I'll pay a fair price too, not trying to cheap anybody out.

Thanks
577Nitroexpress <<<< built one of these too.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CH4 is your friend for non standard dies

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bugger
CH4 is your friend for non standard dies

Have a set from them now for 450 straight, I talked to Dennis at H4CD and its a 24 month wait.

About the same for everybody.

Thanks
577nitro

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To bad George Nonte is no longer with us. Check on the delivery time for a reamer, buy a set standard dies and find somebody to ream out .

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How can there be that much demand for custom dies. I know anything reloading related is bought up but the reality is not very many people load their own ammunition.

It makes me wonder if its merely a material supply issue or if theyre usjng manufacturing capability for other things.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Let me know if you find somebody who can do it. I recently bought a Model 71 chambered in 348-450 ackley improved and will have to get some custom dies. Thank you.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
How can there be that much demand for custom dies. I know anything reloading related is bought up but the reality is not very many people load their own ammunition.

It makes me wonder if its merely a material supply issue or if theyre usjng manufacturing capability for other things.

I was told its the material, supply chain break down due to the BS happening now.

577nitro-

OP Offline
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Let me know if you find somebody who can do it. I recently bought a Model 71 chambered in 348-450 ackley improved and will have to get some custom dies. Thank you.

I'm down to possibly making own. I have some round stock I bought years ago for something that I'm going to try and turn on my lathe. If I can get a sizing reamer I think I can make at least that part.

If it works I might be able to make more.

577nitro.

OP Offline
Good news..

I have the gun done, and its shoots fantastic. I proofed it and no issues found, as expected with a Marlin 1895. At his point I just testing loads and gathering reloading data. I'm having to basically create hybrid loads from the 45/70 and 458 win mag since its in between these two in case volume.

I did a lot of work smoothing out the action so it cycles effortlessly, like silk. I can work the lever as fast I I can with zero jams, pretty damn happy with it. I bought the trigger happy kit from WWG to tart it up a bit and I'm dove tailing a NEGG 2 leaf express sight into it was well. I'm not a fan of the old buckhorn style sights...being a double guy, I like express sights.

Quality Cartridge sells formed and head stamped brass, and as much as you want. For me this has been a no brainer, lower pressure for 45/70 equal loads, or greater velocity for equal pressure...its a win win.

I'll post velocities when I finish up testing if anybody interested.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes. Please... And thanks for the heads up on Quality Cartridge brass.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I found a set of RCBS dies with a trimmer and expander. Now I have to find some powder and loads. It should be fun.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I found a set of RCBS dies with a trimmer and expander. Now I have to find some powder and loads. It should be fun.

LUCKY DOG! I'm still looking, where did you find them and are there more?

OP Offline
Thought I would give an update on the gun and testing. I will preface this with the statement that there is a LOT of BS and internet experts that have for years pontificated and perpetuated falsehoods surrounding the 450 AK on a M 1895 45-70 base action. I have spoken at length with numerous gunsmith buddies, and mechanical engineer co-workers on the subject. We can find no fault with the basic design of the gun. Have there been failures, yes, but nobody knows the whole truth so BS explanations have been put forth...for years (and none from a 450AK that I have been able to find). I spent months and months researching this, and found NOTHING but conjecture. I have tried to blow up guns with 4140 barrels that are FAR thinner than the chamber of the 1895 450AK and have never been able to...they just blow the primers and vent gas...we are talking barrels...that particular action did stretch some and need to be put back on face (double rifle).

Enter my testing, real testing, to date I have put 50+ 40 to 50 cup loads through the gun which is strapped to a tire stripped to just the frame and barrel. A string is tied to the barrel and from behind a barrier the gun is fired. I measure before and after to see if anything has stretched or bulged..nothing. No cracks, on the frame barrel to mag tube web, no chamber cracks, no stretching..nothing. The lever is zip tied to keep it closed. The only negative has been extraction is sticky and a lot of force is needed to eject the case. The gunsmith I know has done similar testing with the same results. I will say all of my loads are with powders designed for rifle cartridges, I will not use pistol powder in a large volume or rifle case, that makes a pipe bomb.

I plan on some more testing with different powders I use for double rifle sized cases to see how they perform. At this point I'm confident it will hold on pretty much any sane lever gun load.

Disclaimer: These are shot from a test stand from behind a barrier for safety I would never shoot these from my shoulder. The purpose of chambering for the 450AK and a larger case is to reduce the pressure for the same loads, not to increase the loads. IE: 400 grain bullet at 1950fps in 45-70 is maxed out at 40cup, the same load in a 450AK is 35cup; thus is easier and safer on the gun.

These are done with my gun..yours may not be as well built, I always proof a gun as described, not from my shoulder.

577Nitro-

Last edited by 577Nitroexpress; 05/13/21. Reason: spelling
OP Offline
I've ordered 2 sets of dies from Hornady, 12 to 24 weeks to delivery. Note, when you order a set of custom dies, since the tooling is set, it's easy and cheap to do two sets, or more.

I'm on to load testing now over the chrono. Since I've found zero load information, I'm just using 45-70 loads and tweaking.

577nitro

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.