Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I picked up some gear to evaluate sharp in my shop. My bowhunting company needed to better quantify what "sharp" means for my customers. Now I can quantify what sharp looks like and cuts like as it applies to broadheads. While there are only a very very small number of bowhunters here, I expect some might find it worth while and might be able to understand the concepts I present here. I expect that of the super small number of actual bowhunters here, that many just buy whatever Walmart has on sale and dont give sharpness a second thought but I hope to expand your horizons. The rest will simply whine and complain act like fools (You have been patterned.) wink

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by sharp_things
I expect that of the super small number of actual bowhunters here, that many just buy whatever Walmart has on sale and dont give sharpness a second thought but I hope to expand your horizons.

Wrong.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Blade angle, tip type, number of blades, bevel type, degree of sharpness..........and that just the head.
Then theres FOC, overall weight, quality of flight.

I did buy a sharpener w a strop from my local big chain sportings goods store and it quickly made my Cutthroat broadheads shaving sharp.

Have met some trad guys that run BH's a bit on the dull side IMHO.
Yrs ago got some Magnus 2 blades shaving sharp w just a file.
Zwickeys I never could LOL

Lost the knack or steel change, hell I dunno, last Magnus I couldn't get em to pop.
Thought I was similarly afflicted this past yr, until I got a strop.

Scary sharp now, and took very little time. Do think the Cutthroats harder mofos (steel) compared to other brands I've had.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Interesting tests, not withstanding the condescending comments about some bow hunters.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
scientific is that. but a blade hit by a file to get a general angle and then on paper wheels, without all the time and effort of all this other stuff has never failed for us.

As to some things like checking heads during season etc... it goes to be said for years good bowhunters know to check and touch up as needed ever since I was a kid. And we've known not to trust factory heads at all.

Good selling video though if you can convince the folks they need all this your pocket book gets fatter.

Same tools have been on the market for years differing versions and we tried them. Yep they do work. At a cost of time. A good file and paper wheels are so much more efficient.

Caveat you do have to be able to know what you are doing with them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the link. I thought I was the only one who obsessed over sharpness.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.