Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Just about any fit woman is better than looking at a hairy legged Jud or Beretzs.

I'd definitely agree with that.

Semper Fi
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biebs
When hunting Alaska for Moose, we found that the average Moose required 11 man-trips to pack out, if that's any help.

IMO this post and that of Blueduck re number of man trips are the most practical replies to the original query.

Ditto to 11 man trips for a large Canadian moose. We did a smaller one in 9 man trips.

We've packed out many bull elk but I only have specific man trip numbers for two large Roosevelt bulls: One required 6 man trips and the other 4 1/2 heavy loads, all carried by strong young men in excellent shape.

The 4 1/2 pack load bull was this past Fall. He was 1000 vertical feet below the road, most of that elevation gain in a 450 yard stretch to get to a brushed in trail. The total pack was about 3/4 mile. The last three packs weighed 117, 109 and about 90 lbs. including rifle and remaining gear, carried out through brush laden with wet snow.

The 6 man-trip bull was huge, 2200 feet vertical below and about 3 miles from a road. Part of that was on a grown in road but most was without trails and everybody was exhausted. It was raining at the bottom and snowing up at the ridge road.

If the weather is cold you can take your time. Leapfrogging packs works well for me when packing meat solo.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've always hunted solo and still do at 78. I've had to switch from bulls to cows and now my only option is a small cow. It sure beats a rocking chair and i'm still having fun.

Enjoy your youth guys. It won't last forever.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 03/26/21.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Originally Posted by smokepole
You experienced elk hunters, how many young guys do you bring with you to pack out your elk?
Can you get away with just one, if he's a hard worker?
Horses, mules, and llamas don't count.

What kind of person starts a thread to discuss young guys doing hard work, when they represent themselves as an experienced elk hunter, where they should know this already? He claims to be an experienced elk hunter. An experienced elk hunter would not need to ask that question. What is the message in the quote above “really” telegraphing to the public? He clearly points out he wants to talk about “young guys”, and NOT animals. Why would someone not want to discuss all options? Telling?

Or maybe the real reason is:

Further evidence to see how SMOKEPOLE is infatuated with discussing the male genitals and his azz can be found in the BACKPACKING FORUM work out thread every year and simply searching the key words: BALLS, GLUTE, or PUD will bring up multiple threads proving SMOKEPOLE steers threads towards the MALE ORGANS for the sake of driving the narrative of HOMOSEXUALALITY subliminally.

You pulled something that attaches to my calf??

What, you pulled my pud when I wasn't looking? Can't you be satisfied with just pulling your own pud?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2019-fitness-workout-thread#Post13762562

Did lower body, kicked my butt. Er, I mean "glutes."

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2019-fitness-workout-thread#Post13842852

or a few more:

You must have had your hands on more men's asses than Elton John by now. I'm thinking you like the sound of that.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...health-care-for-us-citizens#Post15360205

And it's telling that you assume two guys go on a hunting trip for a homosexual liaison.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...health-care-for-us-citizens#Post15360502

After reading all of the above posts, I’m sure you can see the OP wasn’t about how many “young guys” it takes to pack an elk out.

It was simply about packing young guys.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WTF?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
WTF?

Exactly. But it's "elkslayer," this is what he does. Best to ignore him, but sometimes it's difficult. Kind of like trying to ignore the guy with the shopping cart on the street corner, shouting gibberish with spit flying everywhere.

You know, the one you make sure you don't get downwind of.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was 40 I did it myself. The last one i was 51 and my other packer was 48.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Exactly. But it's "elkslayer," this is what he does. Best to ignore him, but sometimes it's difficult. Kind of like trying to ignore the guy with the shopping cart on the street corner, shouting gibberish with spit flying everywhere.

You mean like how you ignore me by cyber stalking me on this site constantly, you mentally deranged sunufabitch.

Do you drop your pants to your ankles while reading about "young guys" on this thread you started?

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, you crack me up, "elkslayer."

But why did you cherry pick the one positive thing docrocket said about you for your sig. line, why not use it all?

You want me to post it up for you?

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I can no longer pack my own game then it is time for me to quit elk hunting. But then that is just me.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MAC
When I can no longer pack my own game then it is time for me to quit elk hunting. But then that is just me.

You may feel different when you get there. I speak from experience. Even though nobody has helped me yet. I'm thinking about it.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

You may feel different when you get there. I speak from experience. Even though nobody has helped me yet. I'm thinking about it.

I doubt it. I am 58 years old right now and I still pack my own game. At some point we all have to hang it up and for me that will be when I have to depend on someone else.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like I said. You may feel different when you get there. I said all my life that a hunter should do the whole hunt. I'm still doing that at 78 but i'm on the edge of doing it all alone now.

However, the thought of not hunting is not an option if there's a way to keep going.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I said. You may feel different when you get there. I said all my life that a hunter should do the whole hunt. I'm still doing that at 78 but i'm on the edge of doing it all alone now.

However, the thought of not hunting is not an option if there's a way to keep going.

I didn't say I would quit hunting. I said I would quit elk hunting when I have to depend on others. Deer is a whole different thing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just do deer hunting? That would be quitting for me. Elk hunting is just more trips with the meat.

No need to talk about it. Do whatever makes you happy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

I doubt it. I am 58 years old right now and I still pack my own game. At some point we all have to hang it up and for me that will be when I have to depend on someone else.

I did a walk-in sheep hunt in Alaska when I was 58, and I felt the same way you do. It was a three-day pack out with a lot of vertical, the first leg was 3,000 vertical feet up a steep ridge, with a heavy pack. We had to stop and rest every 100 yards or so, to let the lactic acid in our muscles dissipate. Then down off that ridge and up another that was steeper. Rained the whole time, by night one everything we had was wet. Hardest pack out I've ever done, the thing that kept me going was the guide. His pack was a good bit heavier.

I felt like if I could handle that, I could handle most any pack out down here that I'd get myself into. But now I'm thinking like Mauser hunter. I can still pack one out, but I don't want to stop chasing elk when I can't. It's not just the physical ability to pack one out, it's also the fact that the older you get, the easier it is to seriously injure yourself hauling a heavy pack cross-country in the mountains. So if/when I need someone with livestock to haul my elk out, I'll happily walk behind and be thankful that I'm still doing it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are always other options...horses (though owning them can be IS even more work in a lot of ways), private land hunts (though they cost more, and don't have the appeal of public land hunts), as well as other options.

If it is even still allowed, when I am too old to pack game out of the big mountains I have no intention of throwing in the towel. I'll figure something out.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Anything is better than a rocking chair. Just keep taking one step at a time. Even if you are going 1/3 the speed that you used to. Old farts have lot's of time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There are always other options...horses (though owning them can be IS even more work in a lot of ways), private land hunts (though they cost more, and don't have the appeal of public land hunts), as well as other options.

If it is even still allowed, when I am too old to pack game out of the big mountains I have no intention of throwing in the towel. I'll figure something out.

I ran into a woman on the trail that does pack trips with llamas, got her card. She said they'd be happy to pack out an elk for me, very reasonable rates. That just got me to thinking I could go in a few more miles if needed........

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Same age here. I have done about everything I can to out last letting the old man in. However bad knees and an extremely bad back that continues to get worse along with messed up lungs are taking their toll.I have gone to shorter mules so I can still throw a saddle up on but have to use a step to do it. Lifting packs on the pack mule is trouble some.Walking a 1/2 mile is max and not over 8000 feet elevation. I still put in for my elk,deer and antelope tags this year, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel I think.

I have never had any youngster help me packing meat. It has always been alone or one of my hunting buddies that are the same age as me. Of course,I never figured carrying things on my back was the way to go.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/28/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
757 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 83 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.