Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Apologies if this gets asked every week (not a ton popped when I searched and almost all that did is about bear protection)... what lightweight pistols do y'all backpack with when big bears aren't the primary concern? Are new production SW airweights really such a notch down from older models?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
browning 1911-22

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Apologies if this gets asked every week (not a ton popped when I searched and almost all that did is about bear protection)... what lightweight pistols do y'all backpack with when big bears aren't the primary concern? Are new production SW airweights really such a notch down from older models?

Dang I hope not, I've got one of the older ones. That would piss me off!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What would be the main reason for carrying? I love 22’s for fun and plinking. Defense against attack from humans or an aggressive dog is a good reason, and might call for something larger. My favorites are a Ruger 22 or a Glock 9mm, depending on circumstances. Actually, the world is full of good choices. Get what you like best!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most times a Glock 17.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am not sure of the combined weight ( to lazy to add it up) of a G44 and also a Glock 19/23. Might be lighter then a 1911, idk

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A while back I bought this LCRx in 357 Mag for a lightweight outdoors gun. I still haven't sourced a decent holster for it though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
MM, have you tried a small chest pack?

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A while back I bought this LCRx in 357 Mag for a lightweight outdoors gun. I still haven't sourced a decent holster for it though.

That's a sharp looking revolver. How is the alloy/weight vs. recoil in full house 357 rounds? I've been eyeing one of these in 38+p but I'm wondering if 14oz or so is too light for wife or smaller shooters?

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WMR
What would be the main reason for carrying? I love 22’s for fun and plinking. Defense against attack from humans or an aggressive dog is a good reason, and might call for something larger. My favorites are a Ruger 22 or a Glock 9mm, depending on circumstances. Actually, the world is full of good choices. Get what you like best!

Basically wild dogs and druggies in the trail. Almost more a hiking than hunting concern, but some overlap.

IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WMR

Basically wild dogs and druggies in the trail. Almost more a hiking than hunting concern, but some overlap.

Good thinking. We all think about lions and tigers and bears(oh my!), but a dog or a human are far more likely to cause you trouble. Almost any quality 9mm, 38 or 357 would be fine. Even a 22 would usually work. Too big and you’ll hate carrying it. Too small and it might be hard to shoot accurately. Maybe try several with friends or at a rental place. Get one you like and can shoot. Think about ammo cost and availability as well. You’ll want to practice.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

No, I've never tried a chest rig. Maybe I should, they seem popular.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

That's a sharp looking revolver. How is the alloy/weight vs. recoil in full house 357 rounds? I've been eyeing one of these in 38+p but I'm wondering if 14oz or so is too light for wife or smaller shooters?

The 357 is steel frame, 21 ounces empty. I've put 158gr full house loads through it. Recoil is strong, but manageable. The grip tames a lot of the shock compared to a lightweight with wood grips.

25 yards with the 158gr 357 load, Shooting DA.

Most of the time I load it up with a 38Spl +p handload. A 170gr Keith SWC, over 5.0gr Unique. I think it's around 850 fps.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a Glock 48 in a Hill People Gear chest pouch about everywhere outdoors.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Good thinking. We all think about lions and tigers and bears(oh my!), but a dog or a human are far more likely to cause you trouble. Almost any quality 9mm, 38 or 357 would be fine. Even a 22 would usually work. Too big and you’ll hate carrying it. Too small and it might be hard to shoot accurately. Maybe try several with friends or at a rental place. Get one you like and can shoot. Think about ammo cost and availability as well. You’ll want to practice.

Yea I typically carry a snub nosed 357 with 38+p Keith type bullets. Have a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag if I need to fend off a velociraptor. Am thinking a 38+p or 357 in the 3" range would be ideal right in the middle.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to own a Smith 60 357 with the 3in bbl and adjustable sights. It only held 5, but was a good all around gun. I found +P 38 loads quite tolerable, but 357’s, not so much. I now carry a Glock 43x about everywhere. Others here are probably much more capable handgunners than me, and might prefer something else.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Smith 329 would seem ideal for your intended purpose. Unless you want/need more than 6 rds.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Naturally the 3" LCRx is out of stock the internet over.

JM - what are your thoughts about recent SW QC complaints? Ive never owned one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Smith 329 would seem ideal for your intended purpose. Unless you want/need more than 6 rds.

That's what I carry most of the time backpacking. It's not fun to shoot .. but I don't go backpacking into wilderness areas to plink. If I shoot something, it's to kill it. The 329PD teaches you to make the first shot count .. if only so you don't have to shoot it again. Not joking, not exaggerating. Surprising how accurate it is though.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

No, I've never tried a chest rig. Maybe I should, they seem popular.

They're great for backpacking. Don't need to mess with a holster that fits on the hip pad, and when you take the pack off, you still have the chest rig on.

The Hill People Gear packs have a padded compartment for pistols and it's made so that the zipper rips open really quick if you need to get to it. Plus, it has extra room for other stuff you might want handy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

76 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.