Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I frequented the 'fire for many years using Firefox and either adblock or ublock, and never had an ad or unwanted video. In the wake of the 2020 election I took exception to the Mozilla CEO and his remarks and attitude towards conservatives. So I switched to Brave browser. Had no issues until tonight.

A little while ago I opened up the Brave browser and logged onto the 'fire. Ads all down the right side of the page, and a video playing in that right hand column near the top. I installed adblock to Brave and the adds went away, but the video persisted. Did a right click on the video and only got info on said video. Right click on the frame around it and elected to "block frame".
The 'fire became a blank page. Uninstalled the adblock but the 'fire did not reappear after restarting the browser.

So for now, I'm back to firefox, but the video appears there as well, and I cannot block it.

Need advice on ridding the video from the page?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And I just figured it out. Ublock has an element Zapper that will, when selected, eliminate any element that you hover and click on. Look for the lightning bolt.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John were you running uBlock or uBlock Origin? They are different programs, and the Origin one is smaller, faster, and better at blocking stuff.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had the same thing (firefox-adblock) one video running on sidebar opened adblock did Block element clicked on it and its gone. Fire running smooth again.....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just did it, and video disappeared. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank y'all! Just eliminated that video!

All American

All the time
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Even I did it, by myself, WOW!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No such ads or videos visible here. Running a desktop, Linux Mint, Firefox 87.0, uBlock Origin.

Stand by while I close this out and try it with Brave...

Running Brave I had that video pop up, and had to install uBlock Origin, then Block Element. PITA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
And I just figured it out. Ublock has an element Zapper that will, when selected, eliminate any element that you hover and click on. Look for the lightning bolt.

Ublock Origin is the way to go. And the element zapper works well. Some Ad blockers will let you block elements but then leave blank space behind which is just a waste of screen space. Ublock Origin does a good job of eliminating blank space where an element was.

With that said, most people usually think of the element zapper only as a way to create a custom rule to get rid of an ad that slips through. I also use it for regular web site elements to make screen space more efficient. On some sites, there's a large header or banner at the top that can be put in an element. It just needs to be something that's consistent and predictable.

I created an element in Ublock Origin for the Campfire banner at the top and I can see significantly more threads on the screen before scrolling. This is especially worthwhile on a mobile browser if it supports add-ons. Screen real estate is a premium on mobile screens and I hope more mobile browsers support add-ons in the future, if for nothing more, to allow using Ublock Origin as a means of freeing up screen space.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ublock origin didn't get rid of the video, for me. By zapping it, it would disappear until I change pages and then the vid would reappear. I changed form Brave to Foxfire with Ublock origin and again, no luck. So then I uninstalled Ublock Orgin and Installed Adblock Plus, blocked the element and now the video is gone.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank you guys. Out of nowhere those video ads started popping up on the top right of my screen. I have had uBlock Origin for years.

Those ads were very annoying to say the least. I took y'alls advice and clicked on uBlock Origin, and clicked on the lightning bolt and the videos were gone!

Gott sei Dank.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine just started this a.m. Fixed now.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If no ads downloaded, is a Campfire viable, moneywise?,

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You guys need to support Bin and click on and off of about 15 ads a day.

Be good members/ sweeties and generate some ad revenue for him.

#doingmypartforyablossman
#somemembersshowingyounoloveman

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Rocky,

Just installed the Ublock Origin addon to my browser, and it works like a camp. Thanks!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 5thShock
If no ads downloaded, is a Campfire viable, moneywise?,

You make a good point. But I just can't stand those ads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Btw, if you visit the Campfire on a tablet or phone, and don't like Firefox, the Kiwi browser is the one Chrome variant that I know of that allows user installation of add-ons like Ublock Origin. Like many of the Chrome variants, the behavior on certain web sites can be a little off because the code updates are always a step behind Chrome. But if you have favorite add-ons that you miss on mobiles, it's an option.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Freedom of speech includes the right to not listen. Just because a website has every right to include ads, so it is your right to avoid them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
I frequented the 'fire for many years using Firefox and either adblock or ublock, and never had an ad or unwanted video. In the wake of the 2020 election I took exception to the Mozilla CEO and his remarks and attitude towards conservatives. So I switched to Brave browser. Had no issues until tonight.

A little while ago I opened up the Brave browser and logged onto the 'fire. Ads all down the right side of the page, and a video playing in that right hand column near the top. I installed adblock to Brave and the adds went away, but the video persisted. Did a right click on the video and only got info on said video. Right click on the frame around it and elected to "block frame".
The 'fire became a blank page. Uninstalled the adblock but the 'fire did not reappear after restarting the browser.

So for now, I'm back to firefox, but the video appears there as well, and I cannot block it.

Need advice on ridding the video from the page?

I was thinking of starting a thread on this as well. Just very recently, this has started for me, too, using Firefox with adblock activated. For many years now, I've not had this, but now (just in the last few days) I'm getting an annoying constant video about hunting and cooking on the upper right side of the screen. I think it has also compressed the text part of the screen to make room for it, which is also annoying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
221 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.