Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15945490 03/27/21
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
What’s out there these? Besides Henry. How are the newer Rossi pumps, and I don’t suppose Remingtons can be had anymore.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
find a 70's Rossi. you could hold the trigger and trombone them like a fire hose.
the current new ones leave me cold.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Henry is well made, octagon barrel makes it really heavy, function is fine and accurate. The new Rossi is plastic or wood stock, basic, function on the plastic version is very good, fiber sights, and accurate. The trigger is heavy, consistent and action improves with use. The plastic version is a no brainer for clunking around on an atv or sxs.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree with Mikem2 about the Henry but I did not keep mine. The pump 22 that I have kept is a Remington 12c. Both of mine have been flawless and utterly dependable. Not so good if you want to mount a scope. I've tried most of the old Winchester pumps (1890, 1906, 61 and 62a) but they didn't fit me well. Both of the generally well regarded 61's had function issues.

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Thanks guys, I am kinda wanting a beater. So maybe I will look at the Rossi.

I’ve mentioned before that I had a Henry 22 mag. Loved it but it shot weird. 2 shots touching at 25 yards or so. The next shot might be off an inch or 2. Scoped or open site it didn’t matter.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Used to fill up a 572 BDL w CB shorts and nuke starlings .It shot em well.
Better than any other .22 rifle I've had trying those puddly rounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the Henry is the best out there among new guns. Used ones are a whole 'nuther issue. However, at about $600, its twice the price of a wooden stock Rossi.
Good gun no doubt. Good value? Well......not so much

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I know where a Rem 572 is sitting, I think the asking price was $375.00, I have to go back up to his shop next week, im going to stock up his store alittle, I can see if he stills have it if you want, PM me and ill get your cell and ill send pictures. He doesn't ship so ill have to buy it and ship it to your FFL so it would be $405.50 as there will be tax and background check. He also had a nice winchester 62 galley gun.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had two low comb 572s, pre 68. Both were decent but one was really good shooter. Got a 572A w decent bore and it was horrible ( post 68 ). Pops won a BDL w high comb at NRA banquet. Dunno if he ever shot it. Also had a clean pre 68 A model. And a brand new pre 68 receiver/ stock.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/28/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I may build the new receiver up. Depends on what parts I find stashed, and online

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gemby58
I know where a Rem 572 is sitting, I think the asking price was $375.00, I have to go back up to his shop next week, im going to stock up his store alittle, I can see if he stills have it if you want, PM me and ill get your cell and ill send pictures. He doesn't ship so ill have to buy it and ship it to your FFL so it would be $405.50 as there will be tax and background check. He also had a nice winchester 62 galley gun.

Generous offer but step lightly Brother. Sounds like you would be/might be in Straw Purchase territory

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Doubt it a straw purchase if he resold to somebody that had to do a 4473

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

Generous offer but step lightly Brother. Sounds like you would be/might be in Straw Purchase territory

Not if it goes to his FFL and he fills out a 4473 and passes a background check

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V

That’s the way I interpreted it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It all depends on whether the ATF wants to push it or not - here is a case that went to the Supreme Court concerning a similar purchase and resell. Take a look at it and ask yourself if it is something you would want to do considering the possible consequences.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/12-1493

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by drover

It all depends on whether the ATF wants to push it or not - here is a case that went to the Supreme Court concerning a similar purchase and resell. Take a look at it and ask yourself if it is something you would want to do considering the possible consequences.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/12-1493

drover

He sent him the money first, I would just buy it, list it on here for sale. I would be the actual buyer, but then i deceide to sell it for a profit, he sends me the funds, i ship to the persons FFL, he fills out 4473, background check just like all of us sells guns on here, and as if i read it right he transfer the pistol, his nephew never sold it to him, and uncle never filled out a 4473. This is all talk anyways as the op never contacted me about it and I called my buddy and he said it sold, good buy Rem BDL 572 for $375 in i would say 90 to 95 % condition, thats a steal

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
That case....sent him money to buy it, crossed state lines, investigated for robbery.....while legal to buy a gun, possibly still not a proper person. Wonder what else there was going on. Shady IMHO.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A few months ago I gave $300 for this one that was on consignment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM

Thats a good deal for $300, even at $375 its a good deal

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Taurus made a decent one back in the day

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just go weak in the knees for a Winchester pump .22

[Linked Image]

1 - Winchester 1890 .22 Short. This was the first rifle for everyone in my family going back to 1920. I got it at age 12.
2 - 1919 Winchester 62A gallery from the "5 Spot" shooting gallery company
3 - 1979 Rossi 62
4 - Winchester 61

When pump .22's are so cool, why use anything else?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
pump it, baby...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I just go weak in the knees for a Winchester pump .22

[Linked Image]

1 - Winchester 1890 .22 Short. This was the first rifle for everyone in my family going back to 1920. I got it at age 12.
2 - 1919 Winchester 62A gallery from the "5 Spot" shooting gallery company
3 - 1979 Rossi 62
4 - Winchester 61

When pump .22's are so cool, why use anything else?

Tough to argue with that logic....

Nice collection Geek'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3rd generation owner. Win. 1906.

They are still out there, saw three at different LGS in last couple years.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Truth, nice ones are still out there to be found. There was a Win 1906 locally and this Remington 121 Special. I had to bring the special Remmy home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just looked today, Remington 121's ain't gettin any cheaper & the numbers for sale are lower.

But dang it I like those things. The last one I owned had some extra holes in the receiver & a crooked rear sight. So I sold it with intentions of getting a nicer one. Put it off & now a really nice one might be $700.

For that money I'd have to view in person. Kinda feel of it ya know. Not buy half blind on GB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At a gunshow earlier this year I bought a 121 in really great shape, especially so for a rifle made in December, 1939. It had been d&t with two holes on the receiver but that turned out to be somewhat of a good thing since the holes were exactly .860" on centers so a Skinner sight fit perfectly. The alternative would have been to search for an old Lyman tang sight which is fairly scarce and expensive and isn't windage adjustable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The epilogue to this story is that I had cataract surgery recently and can now see open sights almost as good as I could decades ago. Turns out that the factory rear sight (taken off for these pictures with the peep sight) allows a perfect sight in at 75 yards. A tap of the front sight centered windage and I was ringing a 4" steel target at 75 yards darn near every shot so the Skinner was put away for another day or another rifle.

Yes, I know this has little to do with the OP but it is an opportunity for me to talk about me, so... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think I posted this pic before.. but yeah old pumps are allright

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vote is to pick up a quality vintage version.
I lean toward Winchester but most other older pumps will do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

I'm not sure why, but when I see 1906's they tend to be rode hard and put away wet. Yours is FANTASTIC!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by roundoak

I'm not sure why, but when I see 1906's they tend to be rode hard and put away wet. Yours is FANTASTIC!!!

My stepbrother has one and there's absolutely zero finish left on it, and the bore is ancient history. It DOES function, and I attribute that to JMB's superior design and Winchester's quality construction, but that can't fix the bore and the old ammo useage.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gunzo
Just looked today, Remington 121's ain't gettin any cheaper & the numbers for sale are lower.

But dang it I like those things. The last one I owned had some extra holes in the receiver & a crooked rear sight. So I sold it with intentions of getting a nicer one. Put it off & now a really nice one might be $700.

For that money I'd have to view in person. Kinda feel of it ya know. Not buy half blind on GB.

I messed up and sold my 121, that being said I got 650 for it. Had some freckling on the receiver but was a really solid gun.

Last edited by killerv; 03/31/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I think I posted this pic before.. but yeah old pumps are allright

Good looking group there - nice and clean!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Jim in Idaho]At a gunshow earlier this year I bought a 121 in really great shape, especially so for a rifle made in December, 1939. It had been d&t with two holes on the receiver but that turned out to be somewhat of a good thing since the holes were exactly .860" on centers so a Skinner sight fit perfectly. The alternative would have been to search for an old Lyman tang sight which is fairly scarce and expensive and isn't windage adjustable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet thats a quick, slick shooting rimfire pump!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=GunGeek]I just go weak in the knees for a Winchester pump .22

[Linked Image]

I've been on the hunt for a 5 Spot for a long while. Just missed a few over the years. Nice looking group of guns!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
I've been on the hunt for a 5 Spot for a long while. Just missed a few over the years. Nice looking group of guns!

Mine is a little rough around the edges...seems it had a hard life as a full time "working" gallery gun. The reciever is painted black, and the barrel...well, it's not the original barrel. The barrel is a round barrel .22LR marked Winchester Model 1890. I assume the original barrel got shot out, and this is what they could get from Winchester. I intend to leave it in precisely the condition in which I found it. Mechanically the rifle is completely sound, functions perfectly, and shoots lights out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman

Mine is a little rough around the edges...seems it had a hard life as a full time "working" gallery gun. The reciever is painted black, and the barrel...well, it's not the original barrel. The barrel is a round barrel .22LR marked Winchester Model 1890. I assume the original barrel got shot out, and this is what they could get from Winchester. I intend to leave it in precisely the condition in which I found it. Mechanically the rifle is completely sound, functions perfectly, and shoots lights out.

I think that makes it that much more appealing. It sounds authentic. I’ve seen a few that were drippy mint and that screamed fake to me. They should’ve been road hard and put away wet, then road hard again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

Thats a good deal for $300, even at $375 its a good deal

I have one. Would not sell it for $300 or $375. Not sure what they are going for, but that seems like a good/great deal.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could never warm up to any of the new stuff and since my first .22 was a Winchester M62A, I've always had a soft spot from those old Winchesters. I've got a M61 with a Leupold 2-7x28 RF on it now for a walking around .22, but I like the lighter trigger pull on the 10/22 Sporter and 77/22 RSI better.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I pick up a Rossi today (275).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you’ll enjoy it!
16 or 20 inch barrel?
Blued or stainless?
Exposed Hammer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
I pick up a Rossi today (275).

I picked up a late '70's Rossi for my son, he LOVES it!! They're just SO fun. The Taurus versions were even better.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My Mom bought my Dad a 22 Browning pump for his birthday in 1948. A lot of our family members learned to shoot on that rifle. I have heard them called "Trombones". Ours has been shot so much that the end of the loading tube wore out, so Dad crimped an empty 22 casing in the end of the tube. It will still pick an empty shell case off a twig at 50 feet.

The rifle was willed to me as the oldest child and it was to continue to the oldest child in each successive generation. My oldest daughter married a fine man from Ireland and firearms restrictions there are even more retarded than Canada, so my younger daughter will keep it in the family. Neat little rifle. I killed hundreds of grouse with it from 9 years old up.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I shoot a raccoon, I write it down. The Rem 572 and the Win 61 are two pump 22s I really like

572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
75 sporter Winchester
61 Winchester
80 marlin
Lightning 1890 Colt
Model X Iver Johnson
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
1957 550-1 Remington
61 Winchester
61 Winchester

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Shot the Rossi 5 x tonight, it functioned. Tomorrow I will play some more....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
When I shoot a raccoon, I write it down. The Rem 572 and the Win 61 are two pump 22s I really like

572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
572 Remington
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
75 sporter Winchester
61 Winchester
80 marlin
Lightning 1890 Colt
Model X Iver Johnson
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
61 Winchester
1957 550-1 Remington
61 Winchester
61 Winchester

The 75 sporter and colt lightning don’t seem to be performing well... you better send em to me!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh man, I'd love to have a Colt Lightning.

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Shot some gophers today, it does what it’s supposed to do. Ugly SOB though.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have an 1890 22 short that's still fairly accurate and two Remington 572's. One was my first gun purchase the other was my little brother's first gun as well. They still get the job done in the squirrel woods. I like the tube magazine in the pumps much better than a 5 round clip in a bolt gun.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
have two ,22 pumps a Remington 572 and a Winchester 62, both net guns

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I got to use the the Rossi 22 pump early this morning (0100) on a coon in the hen house. I love those fiber optic sights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Henrys are well built but heavy.

C
C
Hi. Late to this party, but wanted to recommend a fantastic, but uncommon, pump 22. The Browning Trombone is one of the finest rifles of any caliber I’ve ever owned/handled/shot. John Moses Browning hit yet another home run with this little beauty. I found mine years ago when I could scarce afford an extravagant purchase (in college and working part time), but the price was right ($299) even if the rifle’s condition wasn’t. It had obviously been stored in damp conditions, as the steel buttplate is rusty and there is considerable checking where the stock meets it. Also freckling and larger spots of rust are present on the receiver and barrel. Overall not horrible, but far from pristine.

Mechanically it is perfect. Someone drilled and tapped for a side-mount Lyman peep sight which hurts the value yet again, but really improves the sight picture and accuracy. This thing is built like the proverbial “brick house”; really feels like a full size gun but obviously with a petite stature.

If you come across one, don’t hesitate to consider it. One of the best purchases I’ve ever made. 👍

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
616 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,848 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.