Print Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 67 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 67
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I use the gaiagps app on my phone- it's a fully featured gps (maps/waypoints/tracking/etc), no more carrying a gps smile

Ok, so what you mentioned in my thread. Thanks...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I am near the 200 mile mark, for 2021. Will probably hit it by the end of the week, I am 75

Good deal! My personal thought is if a guy (or gal) keeps after the miles, throws in a little judicious strength training along with some stretching, that there is no reason he still can't kick some butt in the mountains!

Greg- yup. Once I have a route saved, I don't bother tracking it again. The only time I track is if it's a route I haven't done before.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I got 126 miles since the 1st week of feburary, been fighting shin splint pain this year. Trying to see what I can do this year, been stretching and got some new shoes with compression leggings. Sucks getting old. Hoping I can rack up some miles up the mtns hiking soon. Been using the Strava app to measure distance and been using the mileage for charities this year.
Also the dr told me last month I have diabetes and need to drop a few more lbs, I did drop about 60lbs last summer hiking around here.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I am near the 200 mile mark, for 2021. Will probably hit it by the end of the week, I am 75

Nice Job!!!!!

Challenge your limits
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Happy New Year Ward! Where'd everybody go? Did Battue finally get a date, get married, and settle down?

Vaccine yesterday, cardio today for me. 45 on the stair machine, with one of those oxygen-restricting devices.

Still doing pretty much the same...

Yesterday:

Treadmill: 23minutes..
Squats: Start out light with 8-10 reps, then add weight at 5-8 reps, add weight at 4-5 reps and then 3-5 sets of two at 80% of max
Benchpress: Same as above...
Some arm curls and forearm press
New addition is the jump rope....now around 150 skips...goal is to add 600 into the workouts.

Have a Concept 2 rower at home and average 4x30minutes every week while watching something on the screen.

Usually get in 3 Dog rolling hill walks per week that hit the 3 mile mark plus or minus a little...

Today a Bud wanted to work a new Dog, so walked around behind Ollie and Merlot for 3 hours on a shooting preserve....Chuckars paid a heavy price for our time...

No vaccine yet. Personally right now not all that worried about Covid. Traveled halfway across the country twice hunting last fall and survived, along with spending 3 days or so a weak in the hospital among the contaminated. And it proved to me Covid currently is real. Have a feeling Covid may wear itself out, and given time they are going to refine the final product and perhaps the delivery system also...As of now, not required for work and will make a decision if that or flying becomes an issue. If I thought I needed it right now, I wouldn't hesitate.

Going to the gym shortly....

Too young to get married and settle down....

Last edited by battue; 03/10/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Either that or too ornery. You don't hear that word much any more, but it's a good one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
New post on Wim Hof for you to look at....Cold showers....You have had to take them for years to stay in control.at the gym, but, no wonder you are such an Elk Mountain freak....Now I know where it comes from....You have been keeping it to yourself, but no longer...I have discovered your secret.

Last edited by battue; 03/24/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Getting back after it.

I remember one day surfing a two hundred yard long point all morning.. hitting the trail head and making it to the backside of a 1300 meter vert hill for an evening hunt on chamois.. and back to the car park by 11am and hit dawn patrol the next am. That’s in the rear view these days tho

Got a new shred sled. 160mm of travel doesnt suck. Nice and slack and fast. But still bunnyhoppable. We had a pocket of nice weather and got some new trails built.

Hoping west coast has some clean surf early April. Man I need a rinse off.

As for hunting stuff:

Doing a modified 24 minute drill but for archery. But basically you got a 2” and a 3” target at 30 yards. Do 10 burpees.. then 2”, then 3”.. every miss 10 burpee’s. 8 second shot timer from knock.

After a dozen arrows, walk out and pull em. And start again.

Or run it with a 5” and 3” pieces of steel. Same thing but alternate standing shots in 5” at 50 and 3” sitting. 20 rounds. Start over every mag full or 5 rounds.

Or today I did it prone 1” at 50.. 10 second timer from rifle in hand like ur stalking to shot break. Take too long or miss. 10 burpees.

Builds the skill set below the curve.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Good deal! My personal thought is if a guy (or gal) keeps after the miles, throws in a little judicious strength training along with some stretching, that there is no reason he still can't kick some butt in the mountains!

Greg- yup. Once I have a route saved, I don't bother tracking it again. The only time I track is if it's a route I haven't done before.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I passed the 200 mile mark for the year, and the 100 mile mark for March. Did 5 miles today in some old lava fields, that wore me out. March has been kind to me, I have not missed a day, usually 3 or more miles in the AM then a 1 mile hike in the evening.. I have two dogs so I break up the routine.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Ended up with 194 miles this month with 23500 elevation gain, wanted to hit 200 this month but some blisters hampered that.

Challenge your limits
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gutthooked
I got 126 miles since the 1st week of feburary, been fighting shin splint pain this year. Trying to see what I can do this year, been stretching and got some new shoes with compression leggings. Sucks getting old. Hoping I can rack up some miles up the mtns hiking soon. Been using the Strava app to measure distance and been using the mileage for charities this year.
Also the dr told me last month I have diabetes and need to drop a few more lbs, I did drop about 60lbs last summer hiking around here.

60 lbs? congrats. Try a zero drop shoe like Altra for shin splints and lots of calve raises. Of course after the pain gone. those boots you wear at night work too

Getting covid put a dent in my workouts. Only around 180 for the year so far. Getting back my endurance finally. Back in the weight room finally too

Last edited by ribka; 03/31/21.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Yes 60lb last year and about 10lbs this year, I couldn't do all this hiking/walking with the extra weight. Feels some much better and got way more energy. I couldn't of done it without my health coach I got from my health insurance company. I'd recommend Betrhealth to anyone that seriously wants to drop weight. They teach you good healthy eating habits , also figured out how bad wheat products were for me.

One thing that got me through this rough patch this month was walking some mileage, it was the only way I could clear my mind.

It truly is a miracle when I brought my dad home from the hospital last Friday he walked on his own into the house with me close by to catch him incase he fell. You see he had a blood clot in his pelvis and the blood flow to his legs was cut off and he lost all feeling to both legs. The drs told me he would probably lose his legs after some stents, catheters and sections of the femur arteries in both legs and a by pass from leg to leg and being put in a coma for 2 days. The doctors restored the 50% of blood flow to both legs and the miracle started lil by lil he could move his legs and started to feel. Then when he started to feel better he started to throw up and they discovered his colon was pinched off and needed another emergency colon surgery. The feeling in his legs and feet is coming back a lil at a time. His doctor is a great surgeon and the best around here, we're very fortunate to have him at the local hospital. 

Challenge your limits
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gutthooked
Yes 60lb last year and about 10lbs this year, I couldn't do all this hiking/walking with the extra weight. Feels some much better and got way more energy. I couldn't of done it without my health coach I got from my health insurance company. I'd recommend Betrhealth to anyone that seriously wants to drop weight. They teach you good healthy eating habits , also figured out how bad wheat products were for me.

One thing that got me through this rough patch this month was walking some mileage, it was the only way I could clear my mind.

It truly is a miracle when I brought my dad home from the hospital last Friday he walked on his own into the house with me close by to catch him incase he fell. You see he had a blood clot in his pelvis and the blood flow to his legs was cut off and he lost all feeling to both legs. The drs told me he would probably lose his legs after some stents, catheters and sections of the femur arteries in both legs and a by pass from leg to leg and being put in a coma for 2 days. The doctors restored the 50% of blood flow to both legs and the miracle started lil by lil he could move his legs and started to feel. Then when he started to feel better he started to throw up and they discovered his colon was pinched off and needed another emergency colon surgery. The feeling in his legs and feet is coming back a lil at a time. His doctor is a great surgeon and the best around here, we're very fortunate to have him at the local hospital. 

Great news. wonderful!!! Walking every day will cure a lot of health problems with a clean low carb diet

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good work Gents! smile

I just went over 400 miles and am at 86,000' of gain, so pretty much on track for my goal of 1700 miles and a bit ahead of my goal of 250,000'. I'm starting to ramp things up for the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open at the end of May, always seems like a long ways off and then boom- it's there smile

We (my wife, youngest daughter and Tiny Elvis) snowshoed into a cabin that sits at 8600' last weekend, bagged a close by peak the next day and then relaxed in a dry sauna- life is good.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outstanding photos! Thanks for sharing!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cool cabin is it a USFS cabin? Plush outhouse too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
deeded surrounded by Forest Service; old mining claim- not sure if it was passed down or these folks purchased it, this is the first year they entertained renting it out; I just happened to bump into them in January on my way back down from the peak and they mentioned they were going to try renting it a out a bit- we were the first customers

took about 2.5 hours to get the dry sauna up to temp (140-ish) via a small wood stove at the back, but once up to that temp easy to hold it- had the sauna rocks and the whole shebang smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dry sauna?? Who ever heard of such a thing, I was thinking it was a his/hers two-holer.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
it did have a pretty nice one holer, had to spend two hours shoveling snow to get to it laugh

Page 64 of 67 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.