Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The HPG chest rig is the one I always hear people talking about. If I go that way, I'll definitely go HPG.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The HPG chest rig is the one I always hear people talking about. If I go that way, I'll definitely go HPG.

I have one for running. Gray, without the molle on the outside.

It's awesome.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Which attachment guys?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was really skeptical on the HPG chest bag/pouch/whatever. After using it in 3-4 states, in/out of woods, National Parks, stores, vehicles, treestands, and about everywhere else, they are gold. I carry a spare mag in the front zipper pocket and a gps attached to the molly on the front. I also put my phone in the front zipper pocket and have attached my keys to the inside. I bought both the Runners version and the full size version. Gave the full size to my Dad and kept the runner version. Hes been trying to talk me into trading since........

I've used it to carry all my Glocks, a M20 fits with ease with and without a pack. I've not tried my Ruger Bisely but may at some point - but the M20 has largely replaced my Bisley 45 colt as a serious defense gun for woods adventures when bitey things are around. I really like the M20 and HPG setup. I use it unzipped on top and right hand side. With practice, you can extract a Glock from the HPG quickly and be shooting accurately within 2 secs. I hesitate to say 1 sec but it is very quick. The real bonus is you can zip it [bleep] and go into a store and no one knows. I've also worn it wearing a seat belt. For me, they are excellent.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie

I have one for running. Gray, without the molle on the outside.

It's awesome.

Same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
What happened to that vet that was making a combo bino/gun harness and posted here? I went to find his website a while back and it looked like it was not running.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A while back I bought this LCRx in 357 Mag for a lightweight outdoors gun. I still haven't sourced a decent holster for it though.

I've been on the watch for a 3" 357 but they are tough to find right now.....and selling for high $ when found. I've become a big fan of the LCR/LCRx revolvers.

Like folks have mentioned, the HPG is a great item to have. I use mine all the time, hunting, hiking, working around the farm. Not being firearm specific is a bonus. With several handguns I use a kydex triggerguard that has a loop which goes around a tab in the bottom of the HPG pouch so it pulls off when you draw.....and also can keep the handgun from sliding out the side if you leave the side of the pouch unzipped for straight access. I've never had one slide out but it's just extra insurance......

Most often if I'm hiking I carry one of the following:
1. 3" LCRx in 22
2. 1 7/8" LCR 357 or 22 (with 38's and/or 2 shot capsules)
3. Sig P365

An available belt holster for the 3" LCRx is below. I used one of these for 1 7/8" LCR's (22 and 357) and another for a 3" LCRx (22). Very nice little holster. Below is a link for the left hand 3". Usually if I'm carrying either of the 1 7/8"s it's in my left front pocket or the HPG though.

https://shopruger.com/LCRx-3-Mitch-Rosen-Holster-Left-Hand/productinfo/50244/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pics for reference. This is the runners version, non molle. Guns are M&P 4" compact (G19 size) and M&P 5" (G34 size). The "big" HPG kit bags would be HUGE. The runner version has an elastic strap that's awesome for stopping any bouncing around.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

I use a velcro holster from a Maxpedition bag to keep the firearm in place for a consistent draw.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have two woods bum/backpacking/hiking guns. a G31, and a G20 the 31 loaded with 125 Speer Gold Dots, the 20 loaded with 180 Federal Trophy Bonded Bear claws

I second ( or third, furth fifth..whatever) the chest Rig i just ordered an HPG kit bag and have a Gunfigter industries Kenai Chest holster which I really love

Last edited by gitem_12; 03/28/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i have two woods bum/backpacking/hiking guns. a G31, and a G20 the 31 loaded with 125 Speer Gold Dots, the 20 loaded with 180 Federal Trophy Bonded Bear claws

I second ( or third, furth fifth..whatever) the chest Rig i just ordered an HPG kit bag and have a Gunfigter industries Kenai Chest holster which I really love

The Kenai is awesome, but the HPG kit bag lets me keep from stampeding the sheep....

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been back-packing all my life. about 55 years as of now. When going to the mountains I usually pack as light as I can, but one thing I never gave a thought to was buying a L.W. handgun for pack-trips.
The gun that goes with me the most and has for 45 years is my 4" M29 44 mag in a full flap holster.

About 1/2 the time I carry a rifle. When I do and it's not a hunt but just a back-packing trip, the 2 that I take most often are either an AR15 carbine or an AK47 with a folding stock. Another that I carried a lot years ago is my M1 Garand, which is anything but light. Sometimes I have taken a good 22LR, usually a Ruger M77/22 or an old Winchester M62A. When taking a 22 I usually take several hundred rounds to shoot. But taking the AK or the AR I often don't take more then the 30 rounds in the gun because I am not going shooting with those most times but just going on a hike and they are with me for the odd times I want to shoot something.

In every case however I carry a hand gun . I have taken about every one I own or have owned at one time or another, but the one that gets taken most has been the 4" M29. If for any reason I wanted to take a handgun because of it's light weight I'd take my 4" S&W Kit Gun, and maybe my M10 S&W 38 special.

Last edited by szihn; 03/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Heavier gun with less ammo than lighter piece with more ammo.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One advantage of as lightweight is, you're never tempted to leave it in the truck to save weight.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
One advantage of as lightweight is, you're never tempted to leave it in the truck to save weight.

Yes. Plus I find the various Glocks to take up less space on my person. I've carried numerous hawglegs and they seem to be in the way alot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If all I was worried about was wild dogs and people, I’d probably go with the LCP for ease of carry. In my area Glock 20 is with me almost everywhere due to moose and bear, and meth heads....

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pittu
If all I was worried about was wild dogs and people, I’d probably go with the LCP for ease of carry. In my area Glock 20 is with me almost everywhere due to moose and bear, and meth heads....

The G20 really hits the sweet spot for size, weight, caliber, and capacity.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I carry my tiny NAA 22 mag revolver more than any pistol I’ve ever had.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glock 32 in .357 Sig along with my Ruger LCP II in .22 LR in my pocket for plinking.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Goalie,
Is this the holster?
https://www.maxpedition.com/products/universal-ccw-holster

Looks helpful to keep things in position.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I carry a G43 w/ 2 round extension mags. BB 147gr hc ammo. Gun and 2 loaded mags weighs 28 oz and is carried in a HPG Recon chest rig. This is the best combo for weight/efficiency that I have tried so far. I spend 6-8 weeks/year in griz and moose country and am pretty comfortable w/ this set up.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
565 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.