Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
There are slob hunters of every persuasion.

Bow to extreme long range.

If you keep your shots within your skillset, you KNOW you're not a slob, and your feelings won't be hurt by what others write/think/say.

That's a good simple summation & a good statement that should encompass a lot of "hunters".

He does make a lot of generalizations & probably overstates a lot of things & understates others.

He's 100% on target about ego, though. Some LR "hunters" are hunters others aren't; they are just shooters & there's a difference.

If you've ever spent much time around various hunting conventions, you'll soon see that many of the "hunters" are simply & only about kills for bragging rights or for filling up a bucket list of animals.

These are the LR "hunters" that in many cases, give LR hunting a bad name & are some of the people he is referring to.

Others are genuinely really good hunters that have other motivations & have also learned to utilize modern tools to extend their genuine hunting capabilities & I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's wrong when inadequate shooters & "hunters" use LR shooting as a crutch.

I think he does badly underestimate the LR shooting capabilities of a lot of good hunters & shooters today, but in reality, I also think that number of really good shooters is relatively small compared to the numbers that have jumped on that bandwagon & use it as an excuse not to be a hunter.

Money can buy equipment; it can't buy the talent or skill or the ability to capably use it nor the aptitude & skill of being a genuinely good hunter.

Just my view of the world, YMMV.

MM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Selby Rifles - 1,000 yards out of the box!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd take a 10k bet that at least 50% of the people that buy a hunting license could not hit a pie plate at 100 yards on their first attempt with their deer rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is always one of the issues with "freedom" and the question of how to protect one person's rights without stomping on another's.

I shot two chamois in New Zealand: one bouncing along a cliff face while being chased towards me by a helicopter and one from the hovering helicopter. While the range wasn't exactly long and by no means a "hunt", the shots I made were the "trophy", if you will. Both critters are honestly some of my more prouder successes and was A) legal, B) fun, C) a cultural thing and D) a good way to spend the one day I had left in country. It is also a great way to make the anti's hate us even more....which ties into my original point in my first sentence.

I see a lot of similarities with that situation and the current long range craze, and no, I didn't practice those shooting scenarios beforehand. I probably should have, but didn't as it was a last minute opportunity that I hadn't anticipated. I wouldn't have shot though if I wasn't confident in the situation.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You shouldn't shoot animals at long range, but if you do, make sure you buy one of my guns!

All this guy is missing is the big red shoes and squeeky nose. "The real clownsmith"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
I'd take a 10k bet that at least 50% of the people that buy a hunting license could not hit a pie plate at 100 yards on their first attempt with their deer rifle.

No bet there, your 50% is optomistic. I have seen many who cant hit a pie plate at 100 yards on SEVERAL attempts. Off a bench.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
FYI this video was made 3 years ago.

Agree with him or not, like his delivery or not, Randy Selby has earned thru considerable work and experience the right to his opinion and his ways to share them. He was tutored by Les Bowman in his youth, and much more on his resume
Randy has seen Gunwerks and Best of the West move in just down the road and he probably has a point about what we see on their shows and what ends up on the cutting room floor.
I enjoy watching his Real Gunsmith videos and try to learn from them. I got a kick out of his take on the new PRC chamberings.

http://randyscustomrifles.com/therealgunsmith/

Nothing wrong with "old school", getting that way myself these days.
I like the retro look of his old shop in contrast to the modern CNC machinery of the new gunsmiths.
Whether who is better, new or old, doesn't matter to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i appreciate your post. for years, all you read besides the classic old gunwriters, is all about custom equipment and the dangers of wandering out in the western hunting areas. long range has captured the imagination of many.

one skill is dying...off hand shooting with a rifle. at the range i shoot at, it got so bad that extra structure had to be added to ensure bullets stayed in the range.

a couple of places were set up for hunters to shoot at up to 100 yards. hardly anyone uses them. almost all of the people who shoot from field positions are military match shooters and silhouette shooters.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's a difference between having an appreciation of the old school and being hidebound.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's 3-1/2 minutes of my life I can never get back.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Having seen some shots taken that shouldn't have been, some animals hit and not recovered because the variables were to great to overcome yes I believe the long range "craze" has led to those kind of things.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I 100% agree with Selby that ego looms large in the long range debate, but that's okay. I love getting pheasants out of a field after other guys fail, and I love catching fish when other guys can't. However, over-hunted fields and crappy fishing spots are not my preference. All too often a long range shot on game is preferred and even sought after. The only reason for that is ego.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
I am old enough to remember a time when your skill as a hunter was based on how close you could get to your quarry.

The ONLY reason I have one long range rifle is for hunting Axis across The Texas Hill Country. Often times I will be posted up and look across 3 or more hillsides & see them grazing on the leeward side. Range, dial , whack. But never more than 500 yards, personal limit. Otherwise I work into at least within 250-300 yards.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I was at the range one day trying some new loads and a guy sat down at the bench to my right with a new very expensive .338 Lapua sniper rifle. I know it very expensive because he told me what he paid for it. This range only has targets at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards. We were on the 100 yard range. He told me he was going elk hunting in Colorado on a ranch where you could get some real long shots at elk over 1500 yards. He said all he had to do was get sighted in at 100 yards and when he found the actual actual distance to the elk he'd just adjust the scope for that distance. After he made his first 5 shots letting his barrel cool between shots I looked at his target and he had shot about an 8" group. I moved to a different target to get away from the muzzle blast. Maybe he did better on his second group.

To me there is no reason to shoot game animals at very long range. The animal could move after you fire. It's not like a military sniper who is shooting at enemy soldiers who want to kill him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Having seen some shots taken that shouldn't have been, some animals hit and not recovered because the variables were to great to overcome yes I believe the long range "craze" has led to those kind of things.

While I can’t disagree with the above, I’d offer that might be painting with a pretty broad brush. Folks have also been taking bad shots from as little as 30 yards for a long time - the long range game has had little consequence on general lack of practice or judgement.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I am old enough to remember a time when your skill as a hunter was based on how close you could get to your quarry.

The ONLY reason I have one long range rifle is for hunting Axis across The Texas Hill Country. Often times I will be posted up and look across 3 or more hillsides & see them grazing on the leeward side. Range, dial , whack. But never more than 500 yards, personal limit. Otherwise I work into at least within 250-300 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to make a 500 yard shot as long as there were no crosswinds. We shot popup targets at 500 yards in Army basic with our M-14's. The 500 yard mark on the flip up sight was fairly close but we got to use tracers to get on target.

Last edited by victoro; 03/28/21.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a 1,000 yard rifle - inch groups at 300.

The problem isn't the rifle..... smile

500 is my limit, and then it needs a good rest, game standing broadside, little or no cross wind.

Now, 30 yards my huckleberry.

I've been known to miss a 50 yarder tho...

It wasn't my fault. Really.

Last edited by las; 03/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Long range hunting starter kit:

1. Flat-bill hat.
2. $4000 package gun with carbon barrel.
3. First focal plane scope.
4. Arca rails on everything.
5. Double arm sleeves tattoos.
6. Big beard.
7. Sitka -or- Kuiu gear outfits.
8. Jacked up monster truck.

I can only afford the beard and maybe the hat, if they sell them at Walmart.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffP

Me too.

Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
In my opinion, I can’t judge people who can do something I can’t. As long as what they do is the legal taking of game, I feel it’s counterproductive to my own privilege to hunt to disparage other hunters.

I agree with you too. If you can , and that’s your thing, good for you. My problem with LRS isn’t the guys that can. It’s the guys buying these “1000 yard out of the box” rifles, who can’t shoot 200 yards (and have never practiced at ranges they are taking shots) going hunting with them. And taking shots on game they have no business taking.

Instant gratification culture is the culprit..
Any of us could go on for days on that theme...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I spend less time worrying about what others are legally doing and more time becoming more proficient and capable with what I’m doing.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

102 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 20 invisible), 1,160 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,476
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.