Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff Woody, i have the very last copper penny sight Bill made, as well as the last patches he cut, his Wife told me he never went back out to the shop after i left and he went in for surgery, said she saw the patch scraps on the table and left them there, shes not ready to clean them up, God Bless Her, as said, the first things i need to put that sight on and burn those patches on is animal hair, it would be more special and honorable if i done that in Africa.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good stuff Woody, i have the very last copper penny sight Bill made, as well as the last patches he cut, his Wife told me he never went back out to the shop after i left and he went in for surgery, said she saw the patch scraps on the table and left them there, shes not ready to clean them up, God Bless Her, as said, the first things i need to put that sight on and burn those patches on is animal hair, it would be more special and honorable if i done that in Africa.

I totally agree Jerry it would be a most honorable way of remembering our good friend !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I took a nice black bear with a then New Ballard rifle in 44-77 cal, one shot at 25yrds, all I saw was white smoke, but started hearing the death moan, and knew it was over! Way up in Sask. CA. One of Sir Bills Penney sights would have been Great for that hunt, I used a large white bead sight.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God Speed to the gentleman.

Did Mr Bagwell ever publish regarding BPCR?
Never dabbled, but have more than a passing interest. I'd be interested in reading anything he wrote concerning BPCR rifles.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Woody, i put a double 44 cal hunting belt rig together this morning, this season will be really special, just sent Sir Ron some pics a bit ago, maybe he can get em put up for us today.

Good to hear Saddlering, i've only taken two animals with my 44-77, that copper penny played a major roll in both kills, the coyote pup was broadside sitting on his haunches at 200 yards, a nice 9pt was hit at 156 quartering away, he went down so hard and fast i thought i had missed ; ]

MadMooner, Thanks for that, i dont think Saint Bagwell published any BPCR material, i can tell you by the mountains of records he kept, and that he spent hours reading to me from, he easily could have compiled several volumes, great informative reads they would have been.

edit to add, to avoid any confusion, i replaced the rear sight on my 44-77, went from factory Lawrence low notch to full buckhorn Shiloh sight, therefore had to get Saint Bagwell to make a new one.

Last edited by gunner500; 03/28/21.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Photos from gunner500, may not qualify among the miracles of Saint Bagwell, but certainly as blessings from Saint Bagwell:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks for posting these pics Sir Ron, Saint Bagwell loved my 44-77 and had talked a lot about getting one for himself, he liked that it shot so clean, was extremely accurate, and could be loaded with lighter weight bullets for less recoil, Kurt71 here gave me the powder charge for the load, and a hammer it s, oddly enough, it was the last rifle he cut patches for and made a sight for, and so it is written, i looked the safe over today and found the little FA 44 Special to go with it, those two weapons with Saint Bagwells steel, copper and paper will make up the bulk of my hunting this season in favorable weather conditions, still cant bring myself to slum a Shiloh rifle in the rain and mud.

It's going to be a fun and memorable season for sure.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gunner you are a honorable man with what you are doing .I hope you cast and blast a hole bunch of critters on your quest sir. my hat is off to you in your journey. keep us posted

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gunner may the Gods of the the Hunt smile on you! Very nice outfit you have there! I never got to try paper patched bullets, maybe one day!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
HEAR HERE !
A toast to the quest.
Make that Scotch whisky.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Bill was a good friend. When the phone rang I knew I better fill the coffee cup and settle down in the recliner laugh
He picked my grain from what little it holds anymore about the .44-77 and after he saw the Buff scull hanging above the soap pot after the buzzards, blue jays and robins cleaned most of the hide off showing the bare bone scull he was convinced that the .44-77 would do it's job and I really thought that he would get one ordered.
He chewed my hinder when I drilled holes in the barrel for scope blocks but understood the reason I did it. I have no liking for using a scope but it's a necessity for me anymore. The eyes are really getting dim.
Bill is not gone as long as we remember him.

Kurt

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
44mc, Thanks You Sir, it will remain my pleasure, i kinda figured a double 44 cal hunting pack might get your attention.

Saddlering, Thank You too Sir, paper patch hunting is one of the best things on earth, truly satisfying, and can be very accurate, that 152 year old Buffalo Rifle slapping steel earlier in this thread was loaded with paper patch.

LOL, You bet Sir Ron, i dusted the prairie chicken [Famous Grouse] last night myself! cool

Kurt, i already miss those 1 to 2 hour calls from Bill, he was such a good teacher and easy to listen too, i have buddys i'd fight and die beside, but listening to some of them for two minutes on the phone has me wanting to poke an ice pick in my ears, Bill would have been a heck of an educator/professor, didn't know he had spoke to you about the 44-77, wish he would have had the time to order one for himself.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bill took a quick interest in the 44-77 not long after I got my first one. He wrestled back and forth for several years about whether to send one of his rifles back to Shiloh to be rebarreled or whether to order a new one. Then when Jamison folded the case availabity more or less shut him down on it.
He was quite the fella, and Sydra is a wonderful lady. I sure hope she's getting along ok.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Ranch, thanks for the info, i didn't know that, i try to talk with Sidra weekly, she seems to be doing as good as one could hope for considering, and Yes Sir He was, i miss the hell out of that guy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you are welcome Gunner .I am a 44hoilc grin

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 44mc

ME TOO LOL. I have 2 44-77, 2 .44-2.6, 1 .44-75 Ballard and 2 .44-90 BN laugh and they all work laugh

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Originally Posted by 44mc

ME TOO LOL. I have 2 44-77, 2 .44-2.6, 1 .44-75 Ballard and 2 .44-90 BN laugh and they all work laugh

LOL you two, my 40-90 Sharps bottleneck dies and shell holder came in from CH4D today, as well as a set of sights and a 50-70 extractor from Shiloh, my pea brains been wandering again! wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gunner is that copper penny sight like have a patten on it ? . i like to make stuff but I don't want to ruffel l no feathers pm me at your conv.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hello 44, no feathers ruffled here, pm me a cell number and i'll take you a close up pic and text it to you, no patterns exist that i know of, i'll sit an extra wheat penny beside the sight on the barrel for scale.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
gunner500 says Saint Bagwell offered to swap both of his testicles for this .303 double rifle hiding in the shadow of a sapling by the game pond:

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.