Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
101 -357

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker."

I'm still sorting that one out.

I like the larger grip of the 66. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a 3" or 4" 66. If not, then just schlepping the 2.5" 66.
You really think you'd gain much if you went from a 2 1/2" to a 3" or even a 4"? I can see wanting the 4" with a square butt. At this point in time though, you could probably just order some grips that would simulate the square buttedness of the older 4" guns, if that is your desire. Personally, I can see buying one to gain 1/2" or 1 1/2" in sight radius and velocity. If it's just getting another gun, then go for it, as it sounds like money is no object. Personally, I ALWAYS consider the money and would continue to do so even if I hit the Powerball.

Check out the Governor. It is slightly larger than your gun but surprisingly light and you're gonna gain the ability to go with a bunch of different rounds. The right holster, and it is almost as concealable especially during times of heavier attire.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
I noted several references including from the original poster regarding “real” sights and what seems a dismissive attitude towards fixed sights.

A good fixed sight revolver is very smooth and Very functional as a defensive weapon. Very good work can be done with fixed sights in this role and are not really lacking on the target range when paired with a load that shoots to those sights.
Adjustable sights are more fragile (some) and more prone to sharp edges and snagging.

Try them before you dismiss them. I have won more than one shoot off using a fixed sight Smith even when going against full on competition pistols.
Les

I agree completely. I've carried a few revolvers over the decades, and all of them were fixed sighted. No problems hitting my targets.

This was the last one I carried a lot before switching to Glocks, a Model 13. I can shoot the heck out of it.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3" mdl 65

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For a revolver, I carry the S&W Model 67-1 with the 4" barrel....They call it the "Distinguished Combat Masterpiece". My Dad carried a 6-inch Model 19 for about 15 years as his duty weapon before he switched to semi-auto's. i now have that revolver and it is sweet. The 67 is basically the same thing with 2" less barrel.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
686, seven shot.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If that were the case I would love to have a smith 66 or 19
Not good for concealment but who cares if you know your gona need it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
3" 357 or charter pug 44spl

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker."

I like the larger grip of the 66. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a 3" or 4" 66. If not, then just schlepping the 2.5" 66.
You really think you'd gain much if you went from a 2 1/2" to a 3" or even a 4"? I can see wanting the 4" with a square butt. At this point in time though, you could probably just order some grips that would simulate the square buttedness of the older 4" guns, if that is your desire. Personally, I can see buying one to gain 1/2" or 1 1/2" in sight radius and velocity. If it's just getting another gun, then go for it, as it sounds like money is no object. Personally, I ALWAYS consider the money and would continue to do so even if I hit the Powerball.

Check out the Governor. It is slightly larger than your gun but surprisingly light and you're gonna gain the ability to go with a bunch of different rounds. The right holster, and it is almost as concealable especially during times of heavier attire.

It is not a big gain in velocity or in sight radius going from a 2” or 2.5 in barrel to a 3” .. The bigger difference is with a 3” you also gain a full length ejector rod to aid in fully ejecting spent cases and in turn, a much cleaner and faster reload.
There are a lot of small nuances in using and getting the most return from carrying a revolver. There are some notable advantages even, but you have to work at it and commit to it.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
M-13 or M-65 S&W with either a 3" or 4" barrel.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
M-13 or M-65 S&W with either a 3" or 4" barrel.

Either is a damn fine choice!

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
3" model 13 for EDC for myself

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There's a mdl 19 converted to 327 by Bowen on gunbroker right now. If its a 7 shot that would be a damn good carry gun

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

It is not a big gain in velocity or in sight radius going from a 2” or 2.5 in barrel to a 3” .. The bigger difference is with a 3” you also gain a full length ejector rod to aid in fully ejecting spent cases and in turn, a much cleaner and faster reload.
There are a lot of small nuances in using and getting the most return from carrying a revolver. There are some notable advantages even, but you have to work at it and commit to it.
Les

Savvy advice for sure...

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Winter time around here I’ve been toting a Smith Thunder Ranch model 22. 4” light tapered barrel, 45auto, wood grips with a Tyler t adapter. Changed out front sight blade to a ramp as I can pick it up better.

Keep it loaded with 225gr hard cast wad cutters in ACP brass and moon clips and the reloads are 230gr gold dot loaded +p in 45 auto rim brass in hks speedloaders.

Find myself packing a revolver more than anything. Good leather makes it easy.

Last edited by Full3r; 03/28/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
S&W 442, nice small gun,concealment is easy, I have bigger revolvers, but I find I carry the 442 most of the time. You are better off with a smaller gun than a huge one that is left at home because it is too bulky.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 4 inch, 66 would be a great choice as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4" Colt Diamondback in a shoulder holster or an OTW. I carry a couple of speed loaders when I can stick them in a jacket pocket. I have a 4" model 19 but it is just a bit more bulky. I wish I would of kept my Charter Arms Bulldog. 3" of rock and roll.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber K6S 3". 6 shots in a J-frame sized package.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!

You might like the S&W 337-1. 3" barrel, excellent sights. I have one. Nice gun.
Google 337-1 to see a picture. They are hard to come by, but available on occasion if you look.

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.