Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at building a chicken coop, any ideas or pointers? Reminds me of an oversized dog house. Looking at space for eight to twelve chickens. What ya think?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a cheap shed that you can walk into. Put up some roosts that let the poop fall through to the floor so you can go in with a shovel and scoop it out. You will have 12 chickens today but next year you will want 12 more then 12 more etc. etc. etc.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a garden shed in the back yard with a mezzanine in each end, we just boxed one of them in this weekend to use as the chicken coop. Still have to put in a window for light and ventilation. Photo sensor automatic chicken door comes this week. It's called the lady's first chicken coop door. Opens when the sun comes up and closes when the sun goes down. Has an override switch for bad weather and solar panel to keep it charged. Figured $219 was well worth it. Put roll vinyl from Menards on the floor to keep floor from rotting. Still have room to park the riding mower and store some stuff. Final dimensions are 4x10x6'6" high. Should be plenty of room for up to 20 hens. Still need to make some nesting boxes but they'll be easy. Going to mount them on the interior wall with ports to open and get eggs without having to go inside. Pretty slick set up for not much expense

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks KWG

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds nice Colorado!

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Esox357
Looking at building a chicken coop, any ideas or pointers? Reminds me of an oversized dog house. Looking at space for eight to twelve chickens. What ya think?

Size of a shed, where you can walk in to clear it out regularly. Make sure you can access the nest boxes through hatches from the outside to collect eggs. They will need a roost for sleeping at night. Best bedding for the floor is wood shavings they sell at Tractor Supply. In the nest boxes, you will want hay or straw for nesting material.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made a coop for my ex-GF's hens many years ago using a 8x8 wooden shed (T1-11 siding wink )with gambrel roof and double front doors. I measured in 4' from the wall with the door and built a mesh wall with rabbit fencing and a framed door with mesh, basically creating 2, 4x8 rooms that were separated by the mesh/fence wall. The chickens were kept in the fenced section with laying boxes, and 2-3 long saplings (to give their feet varying diameters to grasp) which were placed at different heights and offset from each other, (to keep the upper chickens from pooping on the ones below).

The from 4x8 area just inside the door was used to house feed cans and extra bales of straw for scattering on the floor, (to make poop cleanup easier). It was a good set up and I plan to build another for myself one of these days.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you build, you might want to consider a movable fence design. The taste of those free range eggs will be far better and healthier as they scratch and peck wild greens, bugs and get more sun. If you are fortunate enough to have a dog that will keep away daytime predators, then you can of course free range them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nest boxes need to be lower than the roost.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Whatever you build, you might want to consider a movable fence design. The taste of those free range eggs will be far better and healthier as they scratch and peck wild greens, bugs and get more sun. If you are fortunate enough to have a dog that will keep away daytime predators, then you can of course free range them.

Probably be wise to cover top of fenced run with fence fabric too to protect chickens from flying and climbing predators. Snakes are known egg and baby chick eaters, as well.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure it's off the ground. That way rats can't set up shop underneath. They love chicken feed,

I stacked up two rail road ties. So it's about 1.5' off the ground. Never had any problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Sounds nice Colorado!

Thanks it should be when we get every little thing finished. Chicks are only a month old so we got time. Might insulate it before winter hits and wire it all proper. I want to fence in our 1/2 acre yard rather than a small chicken run but we'll see. Walleyes will start biting here soon

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Probably be wise to cover top of fenced run with fence fabric too to protect chickens from flying and climbing predators. Snakes are known egg and baby chick eaters, as well.

Around here the hawks are bad. My friends that.keep them do ok most of the time with them in the woods near the house. The eggs they want to hatch go into the incubator. Then they have a special section to feed them to size where they won't be so vulnerable.
When I raised them for research and commercially, they were in big houses. The exotics were barned in smaller building, but the egg hobbiests do pretty good if they have dogs that stay nearby.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
For meat birds or layers?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8'x10' shed. 2x4 walls and rafters, 2x6 treated floor joists and treated floor boards. Galv. ribbed roofing. Car siding exterior. Entrance door on side. Guillotine style small door in rear for chickens. Two large swing up windows to face south. Outside window opening is covered with 1/4" hardware cloth. Five interior nesting boxes. Hickory sapling roosts. On two 6x6 treated skid with eye bolts to attach chains if need to move.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Next one I have will be full standing room height.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
8'x10' shed. 2x4 walls and rafters, 2x6 treated floor joists and treated floor boards. Galv. ribbed roofing. Car siding exterior. Entrance door on side. Guillotine style small door in rear for chickens. Two large swing up windows to face south. Outside window opening is covered with 1/4" hardware cloth. Five interior nesting boxes. Hickory sapling roosts. On two 6x6 treated skid with eye bolts to attach chains if need to move.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

nice

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Easily the most expensive eggs and meat you can get.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Easily the most expensive eggs and meat you can get.

Eggs, yes. But, fresher (duh) and tastier.

I need to figure my cost per pound on the meat birds. Chicken isn’t “cheap” here.

Again, But, far better tasting meat than the store. Even is costlier, I’ll continue raising them.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do like Bender and get some proper birds.

Commercial type fryers raised on only commercial type feed taste no different than the birds at the store.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.