M

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
http://www.boundarytec.com/1530-showercoil-camping-shower.php#!prettyPhoto

https://www.rei.com/product/758045/...F5KrG6QIV-D6tBh1kmghuEAQYASABEgIWQfD_BwE

I got one of these sea 2 summit shower bags. Fill it with hot water and you are in business. Lots of ways to skin that cat. I always figured I'd try the boundary tec coil, but haven't done it yet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I do the hot-water-in-the-clean-new-bug-sprayer thing.
Last one was $5.00 and change at wally world.
Half full of cold water and dump boiling in on top of
that. Works fine. Didn't invent that, just copied it off
whoever. I've had the roll up vinyl bags and they didn't
work as well for me

If space doesn't permit the sprayer, I'll carry a cleaned
out can and use No Rinse Body Bath from CleanLife
with a wash rag

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We use a "solar" shower bag. Don't often put it in the sunshine but just fill it with hot water and hang it up. Before we finished our camp, I'd just hang it in a tree and wait until dark. We now have a shower stall (but no running water) in the camp so just hang the bag from the ceiling. It's easy, efficient and cheap. Water gets heated on the gas cook stove or the wood stove. We (my wife) keeps thinking about the pressurized hot water heaters but it wouldn't save us any time and would definitely cost more.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99
I do the hot-water-in-the-clean-new-bug-sprayer thing.
Last one was $5.00 and change at wally world.
Half full of cold water and dump boiling in on top of
that. Works fine. Didn't invent that, just copied it off
whoever. I've had the roll up vinyl bags and they didn't
work as well for me

If space doesn't permit the sprayer, I'll carry a cleaned
out can and use No Rinse Body Bath from CleanLife
with a wash rag

This, we have used one for the last couple of years. Paint the sprayer black and let it sit out in the sun and it gets warm enough for nice weather showers. We have found that 1/3 to 1/4 of boiling water is all it takes when the weather is cooler.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If the high elevation boiling point of water is 195F and the creek is barely above freezing, 50-50 will get it to 110F. You can get by nicely at 80 so about 1/3 hot is about right.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Baby Wipes are your friend.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

I like these bath wipes a lot better because they're a lot bigger.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just used the solar showers for years. Got by just fine and they don't take up much room!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No experience with your shower system indicated. Have seen similar devices in various camps throughout the years, but I have opted for the solar bags. Lay it on the hood of the truck, ATV seat or rock works, if not heat water in the 2 quart coffee kettle from a nested camp cookware set, plus a little more cold water if needed. Good for one shower.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

yep. been there done that too

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A plastic 5 gallon bucket with 2 or 3 16d nails poked into side close to the bottom. Easy to add water to it and you can vary the flow by how many nails you pull. Double headed nails are easy to grab.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I do shower on a cold hunt, I usually boil some water and take a hot rag bath in the wall tent. If a hot hunt, baby wipes....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
No experience with your shower system indicated. Have seen similar devices in various camps throughout the years, but I have opted for the solar bags. Lay it on the hood of the truck, ATV seat or rock works, if not heat water in the 2 quart coffee kettle from a nested camp cookware set, plus a little more cold water if needed. Good for one shower.

Plus 1, those things work great if you have any sun at all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole

Until you don't on a 10 day cold grind..😅....

BTDT....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GregW
If I do shower on a cold hunt, I usually boil some water and take a hot rag bath in the wall tent. If a hot hunt, baby wipes....

yep. Pretty much by mid Sept the solar showers won't work. Its boiling water and adding cold water and a whore's bath or steeping into a nearby body of water with some unscented soap and a wash cloth then quickly back to a heat source. Or teethe old stand by the unscented baby wipe.

The 5 gal bucket and nail idea sounds like worth trying.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I should have added more detail. The person I hunt with the most is my wife. We have done solar shower and boiled water in a shower bag. Just bought a light weight pickup camper that does not have a hot water heater and our looking for a more “luxurious” way to shower.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by moellermd
I should have added more detail. The person I hunt with the most is my wife. We have done solar shower and boiled water in a shower bag. Just bought a light weight pickup camper that does not have a hot water heater and our looking for a more “luxurious” way to shower.

look up zodi showers.....I bought the double propane bottle unit for a cargo trailer hunting rig I am building....have not used it yet....but did research and came up with this......bob

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by smokepole

Until you don't on a 10 day cold grind..😅....

BTDT....

Me too. If you can heat water you can fill it halfway with cold water, then pour in the hot water.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The 5 gallon bucket works well if you have a nearby creek. Attach a garden spigot with the small on/off lever. Fill about a 1/3 boiling water from a stew pot and the rest cold water. Makes for a quality Holiday Inn shower on long hunts.

Upper left corner
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I built this one last year. Some copper pipe and fittings, a 12V pump, a small battery, a solar panel and a steel pot for water. Custom trucker themed shower mats optional.

Tending the water heating system.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We rigged up a shower head on a water hose, hung over a tree limb. Used a 12 volt RV pump in a 20 gallon water jug. RV pump had leads and clips to connect to truck battery.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
5 gallon bucket of warm water and a red solo cup works best for us.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Lslite
5 gallon bucket of warm water and a red solo cup works best for us.

Done that too, beats hell out of being stinky!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Our camp consists of 3 house trailers pushed together and connected there’s 4 showers that I know of and I ain’t been in the Yat trailer.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BobMt
look up zodi showers.....I bought the double propane bottle unit for a cargo trailer hunting rig I am building....have not used it yet....but did research and came up with this......bob

They work real well for car camping. I used to meet up with a bunch of friends from up and down the west coast. One of the gals has real long hair, past her butt. She had a 2 burner Zodi. After about 3 years I caved in ("real men bathe in the crick") and tried it ... it's GOOD. Set it up inside one of the biggest "privacy shelters" (aka shiitter shacks) you can find with a piece of cheap indoor outdoor carpet for a floor .. especially good on gravel. I bought the one burner unit .. probably a mistake. I run the water through it twice, once as a pre-heat, the second time to shower. I'm done with the creek outside of July / August.

If you want to do it on the cheap, get the Zodi pump / showerhead / hose, heat water over the campfire, and mix with creek water to reach whatever temperature floats your boat ... use a cheap 5 gallon bucket to hold the hot water while you shower.

The "shiitter shacks" are good amusement .. watching people try to re-fold them for transport. They'd make a preacher cuss.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After supper.... Warm up some water on the stove in a large pot.... put it on the tailgate... get the foam cup from McDonalds drive thru coffee out of the cup holder in the dash of the pick up... throw the truck floor mat down to stand on... have a dry towel with in reach. Keep the soap on the tailgate so you don't loose it.

You will sleep like a baby that night....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have used the bag showers quite a bit as well as having jugs of water set near enough a camp fire to heat up. The bag showers will get hot enough to burn you if they stay in the sun all day. Not an idea combo, but beats stinking or being covered in dust.

NRA Endowment Member
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Splurged with the zodi extreme. Switched out the head with a cheap sink sprayer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by KC

They've gotten me through a few deer seasons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tent camp at tbe farm in tbe summer. Bought a new red 5 gallon plastic gas jug with the safety nozzle. . I drilled several holes in the end of the safety nozzle, and one breather hole in tbe top of the jug. I fill it with well water in tbe morning and put it in the sun. Throw it up on the toolbox of the pickup in the evening for a hot shower...in summer. By mid September it may still be a little cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I tent camp at tbe farm in tbe summer. Bought a new red 5 gallon plastic gas jug with the safety nozzle. . I drilled several holes in the end of the safety nozzle, and one breather hole in tbe top of the jug. I fill it with well water in tbe morning and put it in the sun. Throw it up on the toolbox of the pickup in the evening for a hot shower...in summer. By mid September it may still be a little cool.

When the sun doesn't heat water in a bag, I turn to a two quart tea kettle or a cast iron kettle steamer and put them over or near a campfire, on a Coleman camp stove, on a wall tent wood stove or on a wood stove in a cabin. Have even heated water to fill the bag with a coffee pot. Cold weather be damned.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good idea, Roundoak. Hot showers are way better than cold ones on a camping trip.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Best thing you can do is buy a 6gal RV water heater and build a box for it, propane tank, and demand pump with spliter, regular shower faucet. Once its done, its done.

The best thing to remember about all of the other methods is its harder to regulate the temperature so its better to shower during the day with the sun hitting the shower tent.

And these Hoo-Ahhs work well especially if you are bald headed or have short hair

http://www.hoo-ahhs.com/

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/29/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have had good luck with solar showers, though I am working on getting a RV pump and a sistern for an actual shower system. In the past we have used gallon sized water jugs near the camp fire. A shower is always refreshing even if its not as good as home.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You guys using a 12v pump - here's another use for it. I have a spare pump and I got a water filter similar to this one with a filter small enough to handle gut bugs. I got some plastic hose and rigged it so I can drive to the creek and filter water into 5 gal jugs. Back at camp I can pump or dump them into my RV tank when I'm running low or just have them on hand for extra clean water.
HINT: when setting it up, put the filter AFTER the pump, not before. If you put it before, the pump can't suck any water through it. It can push it through just fine.

[Linked Image from premieresales.com]

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

That’s what I use also.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Zodi is the cat's meow, switched to them at all my caribou camps, and there were no complaints but lots of complements!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up with out running water in the winter we had a wash tub in the kitchen, stand in it and pour water over yourself in the summer time the river and a bar of Ivory soap. Saw my first shower when I played football in high school. I spent three years living in a tent in midlife and went back to pouring warm water over myself. On long camping trips I still use that method and pack a straight razor for trimming up. I did splurge and buy a battery powered hair clippers for my hair cuts.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have used the clean bug sprayer for last few years. It works fine.

GreggH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.