Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang, nice lightweight all weather rig there, i have a Heym 98 mauser in 9.3x62, RL-17 under 320gr Woodleighs for 2400 fps is a hell of an accurate load, noting you have the cheaper 285gr ppu's, hope you have a pile of them, shoot the hell out of a JES rebore to help 'smooth' it in, i firelap mine with JB, then 500 strokes of JB, clean with Kroil, patch dry and they're ready to RIP.

Uh no I have better things to do than count 500 times..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well an update the rifle shoots very well in my last round of testing. No more odd ball flyers, WHEN I BEDDED IT, I added some support under the barrel shank. In the past I have issues with model 70’s. So I removed it and made sure barrel had no contact with stock. I apologize for having a life outside these forum and not posting pictures or more updates..

Last edited by 79S; 03/28/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Well an update the rifle shoots very well in my last round of testing. No more odd ball flyers, WHEN I BEDDED IT, I added some support under the barrel shank. In the past I have issues with model 70’s. So I removed it and made sure barrel had no contact with stock. I apologize for having a life outside these forum and not posting pictures or more updates..

Now you are learning.. Some guys think you need that bedding material under the chamber/shank. I hate always having to disprove some guys theories.. It gets damn tiring...I know you are jealous because I shoot like "Al Bundy". All laid back with one hand in my pocket and bullets just sink right into the X-ring.. You keep trying. You might get there one day..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice rifle in a classy caliber!

I have 5 or 6 JES rebores and 2 Wayne York rebores. Wayne smooths his barrels with a lapping machine he built and I find they foul less and are very easy to clean. Naturally his cost is about $100 more than JES and takes 3-4 months because he also builds rifles and ultralight stocks. JES rebores take about 150 shots to settle in and smooth. There's alot of elbow grease and pricey chemicals involved in cleaning them too.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d bet as that rifle sees more and more rounds through it, it’ll start getting better and better. All of mine have. I haven’t had to firelap any of JES rebores yet but I don’t doubt it works well. I need to load some 9.3 and get that rifle ready to hunt. I’m thinking of using some of the PP2000 this time to see how it does. 15 is great at the lower charges but I haven’t found magic towards the upper end yet.

Semper Fi
IC B2

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Now you are learning.. Some guys think you need that bedding material under the chamber/shank. I hate always having to disprove some guys theories.. It gets damn tiring...I know you are jealous because I shoot like "Al Bundy". All laid back with one hand in my pocket and bullets just sink right into the X-ring.. You keep trying. You might get there one day..

Yeah super jealous.. the Al bundy joke went over your head..

Last edited by 79S; 03/29/21.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did I ever tell the story about the time I went to kodiak and used a leupold scope??

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d bet as that rifle sees more and more rounds through it, it’ll start getting better and better. All of mine have. I haven’t had to firelap any of JES rebores yet but I don’t doubt it works well. I need to load some 9.3 and get that rifle ready to hunt. I’m thinking of using some of the PP2000 this time to see how it does. 15 is great at the lower charges but I haven’t found magic towards the upper end yet.

I’m at 65.5gr of big game. With the 285 ppu’s and 250 AB..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

200 yards

400 yards

I’ve tried working in both those nodes. It’s decent, just not as well as it did down lower.

Last edited by beretzs; 03/29/21.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I’ve got BG as well. I’d be down to try that as well.

Semper Fi
IC B3

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I’ve got BG as well. I’d be down to try that as well.

I will send you what I’m using for OAL in pm, when I get a chance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks John. I’d bet if yours is like mine it has a country mile to hit the rifling.

Semper Fi
M
M
That’s an excellent choice in caliber 79S! I picked up an Extreme Weather in 30-06 with hopes of having it bored up to make a nice 9.3x62. The go to guy in Canada advised due to the fluting the barrel was getting too thin.

I ended up ordering a 9.3 caliber barrel finishing at .670” @ 20.5”. I wanted the rifle to be a smidge heavier. Hoping to get the barrel soon and drop it off at a smith locally.

I wish Us Canadians had easy access to JES, his prices are fantastic and his work seems to be too!

Range report when you can good sir!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tmitch
Cool! I have a .243 M70 at JES right now being turned into a .358

He did this one for me. Turned out well.

Here's the link with a running commentary. Sorta went long, no doubt too much BS, but lots of good stuff, otherwise.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15226684/1

DF

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks John. I’d bet if yours is like mine it has a country mile to hit the rifling.

Yes it does lol.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.