Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Waders
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!

You might like the S&W 337-1. 3" barrel, excellent sights. I have one. Nice gun.
Google 337-1 to see a picture. They are hard to come by, but available on occasion if you look.

Rambo?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger Security 6 .357 4 inch. It's about the right balance of size, weight and cartridge if a revolver is the requirement.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sometimes carry a S&W 351Pd in 22 mag. I like the light weight and 7 shots. I load it with 40g gold dot SB ammo. It's the only load that expands from the short barrel.

I thought I was going to have to use it yesterday when 2 pit bulls ran into my yard towards my kids while they were playing. My pointy haired wired griffon ran them off into the neighbors yard before I could get a shot. I'm tired of the free ranging pit bills in my neighborhood. There are 2 different pairs that run around.

I also have a 360 pd in 357 that's about the same size and weight but only 5 shot. I carry the rem 125 golden Saber 357 load in it because it's not a full power 357 but hotter than any 38. It's still manageable in an 11 ounce gun.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I sometimes carry a S&W 351Pd in 22 mag. I like the light weight and 7 shots. I load it with 40g gold dot SB ammo. It's the only load that expands from the short barrel.

I thought I was going to have to use it yesterday when 2 pit bulls ran into my yard towards my kids while they were playing. My pointy haired wired griffon ran them off into the neighbors yard before I could get a shot. I'm tired of the free ranging pit bills in my neighborhood. There are 2 different pairs that run around.

I also have a 360 pd in 357 that's about the same size and weight but only 5 shot. I carry the rem 125 golden Saber 357 load in it because it's not a full power 357 but hotter than any 38. It's still manageable in an 11 ounce gun.

Bb

You need to get a 22 short. It is near silent. It will dispatch those bulls, no problem. The dogs are not running around, they are hunting. It's in their DNA. It will be a service to the community.

Last edited by MM879; 03/29/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I recently sold or traded my snub nose revolvers. I had a nice Colt Detective Special with real ivory grips that I sold a year or two ago and I traded my S&W model 36 (no dash) to my best friend (and neighbor). The model 36 I traded to him for a Remington 788 in .308 with a Leupold 3-9 (which I traded to him several years ago 😁) and his Ruger Security 9. I threw in a bunch of ammo for him, mostly .38spcl along with several hundred rounds of .40s/w.

He and I are always horse trading and for years he’s wanted my model 36 but that was what my wife carried and shot well. She had borrowed the Security 9 for a trial period for a couple months and really liked it. She shot it very well and didn’t mind the extra weight in her purse, having 30rds available between the pistol and 1 reload beat the hell out of 10rds. for the 36.

Now that I don’t have a suitable EDC in a revolver and in the spirit of the OP’s question......I am the kind of guy that wants my guns to be able to do “double duty” if possible. I would like for my EDC to be legal for hunting in this state. In order for it to be legal it must have a 4” barrel and be a minimum of 6mm so I have plenty of options however I’ve always wanted a 4” S&W 329 so I think I’ll look for one when I get back from vacation.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
3" S&W Model 13.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
3" S&W Model 13.

Bingo. The perfect, everyday, concealed carry, revolver. It hits every consideration right in the Goldilocks zone. It's the Glock 19 of revolvers.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BC30cal
antelope sniper;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you and all in your world who matter are well.

I've always liked the L frame stainless S&W revolvers as well. At one time a relative had one that I shot a bit and it was smoother than my Security Six before it was worked over for sure.

Before they went to being issued a .40 Glock, the BC Conservation Officers carried a fixed sight 4" L frame - stainless - so a 581 I believe it is?

They were well thought of by the CO's, though they didn't use them for much other than qualifying annually.

All the best to you all as we head into spring.

Dwayne

Dwayne,
Happy Monday to you as well.
It would of been nice to get in one the sale when they surplused those 581's. Like an Italian army rifle I'm sure they were barely fired, but in contrast never dropped. whistle

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought that referred to the French not Italians.
"Dropped once but never fired"

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
686 Plus 3”. Or Mountain Gun in .44 mag.

IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by RGK

This works if you have to keep a low profile. I still carry this daily in retirement. Preferable (to me) to a semi, but I'm not expecting a reinforced Haji rifle squad.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Curious about the taped grip. Throw down like The Godfather bathroom stashed piece? wink

No, it's not a "throwdown". Never had to plant anything on the people I arrested (or shot). This 442 has a set of plastic stocks on it that give a better grip, but are very slick, especially in hot, humid weather. The solution was the sticky electrician's tape, which also helped secure the revolver in my back pocket when I was buying narcotics. I never carried it in a holster or carried extra ammo when I was buying; cops wear nice holsters and carry spare ammo, bad guys don't. Plus, the tape made the gun look like a crook's stolen gun. That impression worked a couple of times when the 442 was spotted. I didn't purchase any dope those times, but I didn't have to fight, either.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 03/29/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by SS336
Lots of choices here, some I wouldn’t carry. They would be, for me, to large for concealment. But fine woods or ranch revolvers.
For me, there is only one choice. The revolver I have been using since 1974, S&W M66 4” with any holster that works for you. Along with speed loaders or speed strips.
This revolver and it brother, the model 19 have been getting it done for decades.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice appearance. Did you give the gun a polishing job?

BTW, did you take that picture with the additional help of a light box?

Elmer Keith
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Any of these 66's. Clockwise: -2, -1, -1, no dash.

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Do you carry these M66/M19-square butted revolvers with target grips as a concealed weapon? Or do you generally practise open carry?

Elmer Keith
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Any of these 66's. Clockwise: -2, -1, -1, no dash.

This 19-3.

Or this 686+.

Do you carry these M66/M19-square butted revolvers with target grips as a concealed weapon? Or do you generally practise open carry?

I don't carry any of them, usually. I have carried a couple of the 2.5" 66's and the 4" 686+ on rare occasions.

I listed them as response to OP's question: If you HAD to carry a revolver for EDC...

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Local, nice very nice. Functional as it gets, those who have never owned or used short barreled k's don't really understand what they have missed . Karry on LD your values are solid and in good taste. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So many great choices and I'm not a Smith guy. just askin for a friend.

Last edited by MM879; 03/30/21.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Starman
I thought that referred to the French not Italians.
"Dropped once but never fired"

During WWI the French Fighting men acquitted themselves extremely well. The bulk of the Fighting and Dying on the Western Front was paid in French blood. WWII, were very different.

Look at the Italian adventures in Africa, from the 20's all the way thought WWII. They turned in some real miserable performances against some real backwater countries, which is why it's also applied to the Italian's as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The myth of French cowardice has been so ingrained into our culture I'm afraid there's no fixing it. That's how the great (and ignorant) unwashed get brainwashed.

As mentioned, the French fought as good as anyone else during WWI, only to be crushed by a combined arms 20th century army whilst they were practicing 19th century and or WWI tactics. People forget what the French did under Napoleon I, who won more battles by a significant margin than even the most ablest German general.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The myth of French cowardice has been so ingrained into our culture I'm afraid there's no fixing it. That's how the great (and ignorant) unwashed get brainwashed.

As mentioned, the French fought as good as anyone else during WWI, only to be crushed by a combined arms 20th century army whilst they were practicing 19th century and or WWI tactics. People forget what the French did under Napoleon I, who won more battles by a significant margin than even the most ablest German general.

Roger that. The French held the perimeter and beat up the Germans while the British evacuated Dunkirk. The French Army now is as good as any. Their spec ops guys are some of the best.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got out of the revolvers several years ago BUT liked some of them.
The only revolver I have today is an el cheapo 8 shot DA, 22 lr that I inherited.

IF I HAD to carry a revolver for EDC -- SS336's 4" 66 would be a top contender (no pun) for me.

[quote=SS336]
For me, there is only one choice. The revolver I have been using since 1974, S&W M66 4” ....
This revolver and it brother, the model 19 have been getting it done for decades.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another top contender would be a GP 100, 4"

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
592 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.