Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a JD x730 for my property in the hills. Thinking of getting a ZTR for duty here. Who's got a good one? We've got JD and Kubota dealers, the Runnings sells CubCadet and Ariens, the local small engine house has Gravely and Simplicity I think.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you have Hustler or Walker dealers?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get a commercial grade in whatever brand you end up choosing. My first zero turn was a Cub Cadet, residential, and although it worked out okay, it was just too lightweight for my rough ground. My current mower is a Husqvarna, commercial rated, and it's been practically trouble free for 6 years now.

Buy from a dealer, not the big box stores, although sometimes the big stores will offer good deals. The problem though, is that the mowers they sell are sometimes downgraded in the engine department, and other features.

The thing about the JD's is that if you take care of it, it's going to hold it's value.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 Gravely's. Wouldn't have bough the second if I didn't like the first one so much. Test drive them all if you can.

Agree with James, buy it from a local dealer instead of a big box store even though they may be a couple bucks cheaper. The "local small engine house" has a reputation to uphold and will work on them should the need arise, Home Depot won't.

Black Cows Matter!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
grasshopper here, my wife runs it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a Gravely 4 years ago because I see most of the commercial guys around here using them. Glad I went that way. Built well and very durable.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We might go with a Kubtia.

A Diesel would be nice.

Last edited by wabigoon; 03/30/21.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 54" Exmark from 2004, bought used in 2010. I've beat the living snot out of it and it keeps on ticking. New blades each spring, have replaced a couple of spindles due to my roughness with it and thats about it. Most of the commercial guys around here run Exmark. Have a friend that cuts commercially, he has 3 Deere's, but he grew up on a dirt farm in Minnesota and his blood runs green already.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've got a 54" Exmark from 2004, bought used in 2010. I've beat the living snot out of it and it keeps on ticking. New blades each spring, have replaced a couple of spindles due to my roughness with it and thats about it. Most of the commercial guys around here run Exmark. Have a friend that cuts commercially, he has 3 Deere's, but he grew up on a dirt farm in Minnesota and his blood runs green already.
Do you have difficulty with precise cuts around obstacles? Every ExMark I've been on had vague sticks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Do you have difficulty with precise cuts around obstacles? Every ExMark I've been on had vague sticks.

I don’t think i have difficulty? Wife’s flower beds are still in tact. But don’t have much to compare to. Put a ton of hours on a Grasshopper 25 years ago, and dads got a Bad Boy I’ve used a little. If the were more precise, it would be above my perception level.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buy a commercial grade machine from a local dealer. There aren't that many major differences between major brands. Welded deck, Hydrogear 3100 or higher drive, Kawasaki motor.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
All good advice, thanks much everyone

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BK buy the Gravelly at Brown's and be done with it my brother did and they take care of him. You buy at Lowe's, Runnings, or TSC you got to haul the sob to Hill City for repair. I BOUGHT A Cub from Runnings so I know first hand. And no it works fine but for an even cut on a rough yard it is lacking. Magnum Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exmark Laser Z.

Buy commercial.

Big back tires, if you get a little one with thebaby tires you will hate it on hills.
Stay off hills with wet grass, be careful at dropoffs or water.
A local woman died when she slid into a crick.

They climb a hill like no ones business.
Going down, if they start sliding, you are just a passenger.
Side hill isn't bad if its not too steep.

The worst is running an angle then turning.
It's solid and just great. Then it isnt!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have hills, don't option for the suspension forks. They'll let the deck cut uneven.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am currently going through the same search. I’ve learned a lot along the way. As others have said before me, go commercial grade. Also, you’ll find that most people highly recommend a Kawasaki engine. My personal needs and choice was narrowed down to a 52 inch or 60 inch cut, but that will depend on how many acres and the size of gates you need to access. Choice of dealer is more important than the few dollars you can save on price. I asked about service times and the answer right now ranged from 2 weeks to 8 weeks to get something serviced.
My final choices were Scag and ExMark. I have decided to go ExMark Laser Z. Warranty and service were the deciding factors that brought me to this choice. Though I would be comfortable going with either and I was splitting hairs in the end.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing in favor of Skag but it's no issue for many at all.
Their pto drive for the mower should be better on a commercial run
machine, that is often run as a brush hog. It would have less potential
to slip or get fouled by sticks or twigs.

At the expense of initial cost,
complexity, and maintenance.

For mowing grass, it's not an issue. Don't think anyone else
offers anything like it, and you never hear of belt issues unless
there is another problem.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.