Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Otter
Had an Uberti Walker some years back . . . They and the Dragoons are HEAVY shootin' irons, to say the least. Have you shot yours at dusk yet? Impressive fire flash !!! 18" or so beyond the muzzle. One of only two guns I have sold that I wish I hadn't. Good shooting, BTW.

Thanks. That sounds cool. I will have to try it at dusk.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice!

I enjoy seeing your range reports with various guns! smile

Especially the Western ones.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s pretty neat. What’s the weight of those balls?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A .454 ball is only about 140 grains.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mathman
A .454 ball is only about 140 grains.

But they penetrate deep and make big holes.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ok. Yeah I never paid much attention to black powder stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can use conical bullets in cap and ballers too. I don't remember the velocities possible but the conical bullets are quite a bit heavier than round balls.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
You can use conical bullets in cap and ballers too. I don't remember the velocities possible but the conical bullets are quite a bit heavier than round balls.

Yes, they are, but people don't realize the effectiveness of just plain old lead round balls. Elmer Keith had it on good authority from folks who were there that they were preferred by many lawmen and such in the Old West, due to observing their superior effectiveness, even over conicals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have this somewhat rare 2nd gen Colt all stainless 1860 Army. I actually have two of these, this one in the photo that came without a box that I basically stole from my LGS (They didn't know what they had) and a second one that came with the box, book, everything I won at a Little John's Auction. I did well on this one also even with the auction premium. Both show as unfired, unturned, and unmolested...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I have this somewhat rare 2nd gen Colt all stainless 1860 Army. I actually have two of these, this one in the photo that came without a box that I basically stole from my LGS (They didn't know what they had) and a second one that came with the box, book, everything I won at a Little John's Auction. I did well on this one also even with the auction premium. Both show as unfired, unturned, and unmolested...

That’s pretty cool !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. I always wanted one of the reissue Colt's. I need to get the Ruger Old Army out to shoot it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's one big hunk of steel Hawkeye. Very nice. Congrats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Shame on you! smile smile smile
I'm sure you can "fix" that "unfired" situation.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The "Original Magnum" overlooked by the gun haters, a couple of loaded cylinders, and 44 Magnum velocity whats not to like? Capable of being shipped direct to your door, with no paperwork.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Nice. Is that a First or Second Dragoon?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Walker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fun to shoot but reloading takes a while.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice!

I enjoy seeing your range reports with various guns! smile

+1

You have an awesome collection of firearms

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Gatofeo
The late gun writer Elmer Keith (1898 - 1983) wore his first revolver at the age of 14, in 1912. It was a Colt 1851 Navy in .36 caliber.
He grew up in Helena, Montana. At that time, the area had many veterans of the Civil War, Yanks and Rebs. These men taught him to shoot and how to load his cap and ball revolver.
In his classic 1955 book, "Sixguns," Keith includes a chapter about shooting the old cap and ball sixguns. The book is still printed today, I believe. Though some of it is dated, it's still good reading.
Keith obviously loved the old cap and balls, though they were more troublesome to shoot than modern, cartridge guns with smokeless powder.
What he reports about the deadliness of the lead ball will, I hope, dispel the myth that these revolvers were not nearly as deadly as the cartridge revolvers that replaced them.
Listen to what Keith has to say:

"For its size and weight nothing is so deadly as the round ball of pure lead when driven at fairly good velocity," Keith wrote. "Maximum loads give these slugs fairly high velocity from a 7-1/2 inch barrel gun."

Keith knew two Civil War cavalrymen who had seen an enormous amount of battle in the Civil War. Major R. E. Stratton fought in the Confederacy's 1st Texas Regiment. Samuel H. Fletcher fought in the Union's 2nd Illinois Cavalry.
"Both Maj. Stratton and Sam Fletcher told me the .36 Navy with full loads was a far better man killer than any .38 Special they had ever seen used in gun fights," Keith wrote.
"Maj. Stratton said that for a man stopper he preferred the round ball with chamber full of FFG to the pointed conical bullet," Keith wrote. "Sam Fletcher also told me he preferred a pure lead round ball in his Navy Colts with chamber full of black powder, to the issued conical ball load.
"Fletcher claimed the round ball dropped enemy cavalrymen much better and took all the fight out of them, whereas the pointed bullet at times would only wound and leave them fighting.
"Fletcher stated, however, that when foraging and shooting cattle for meat, the pointed bullet was the best for body shots that had to be taken where penetration was needed. But that on all frontal shots on beef, the old round ball was plenty good and would reach the brain --- even on bulls.
"Major Stratton claimed that while the big Dragoon was slower for quick-draw work, once you had it in your hand it was the best cavalry pistol of all," Keith wrote. "It would drop a horse as easily as a man with its .45-caliber round or conical ball and 50 grains of FFG black powder.

"Many a buffalo was killed from horseback with the heavy Colt Dragoons using the round ball and 50 grains of FFG black powder. The big guns would drive the ball well through the lungs of a running buffalo at a few feet range. I had one old Dragoon at one time that had killed a number of the big California grizzlies. The owner used to bait them and sit up in a tree above the bait on moonlight nights and shoot down into the back of their heads."

"A lot of fun and good shooting can be had from muzzle loading sixguns. True, they are dirty and throw a big cloud of smoke, but that same smoke cloud or screen was often an advantage to the old gunfighter as he could see through his own gun smoke much better than an adversary some distance away could, and for this reason many of the old-timers preferred black powder for a sixgun."

"In a low ceilinged room, a few shots from a black powder sixgun lays down such a smoke screen that you can only see when you are down next to the floor. At night, the blast of the first shot would put out all the kerosene lamps from concussion."

"Percussion pistols in good working condition arenot just century old relics; they are very deadly weapons. Great grand dad was far from being disarmed or helpless with a cap and ball pistol, fully loaded and capped, swinging from his hip."

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.