Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thawing some for tomorrow night and looking for some ideas, thanx.

GB2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
This is one of our favorites!
https://www.americastestkitchen.com...-caramelized-onion-and-mushroom-stuffing

Or slice it pound it thin and make chicken fried steak. It is a little sacrilegious to fry blackstrap but it is delicious.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Makes great jerky!!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Coarse salt and pepper. Dab of butter in a smoking hot iron skillet. Sear sides and leave it in there as long as you have to, hopefully no more than medium rare. Put them on a plate with a slice of salted butter on each steak and let them sit while you finish up the trimmings.

Quarter 8 big white mushrooms and half a sweet onion. Another big dab of butter back in the same skillet and add your mushrooms and onion. When they’re about half done as a little red wine and some worchesteshire and let them finish.

We had this last night and I just polished off the leftovers for lunch. I always pair it with a salad and a green vegetable, most likely asparagus or broccoli but Brussels sprouts or cabbage might be on the menu too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
Coarse salt and pepper. Dab of butter in a smoking hot iron skillet. Sear sides and leave it in there as long as you have to, hopefully no more than medium rare. Put them on a plate with a slice of salted butter on each steak and let them sit while you finish up the trimmings.

Quarter 8 big white mushrooms and half a sweet onion. Another big dab of butter back in the same skillet and add your mushrooms and onion. When they’re about half done as a little red wine and some worchesteshire and let them finish.

We had this last night and I just polished off the leftovers for lunch. I always pair it with a salad and a green vegetable, most likely asparagus or broccoli but Brussels sprouts or cabbage might be on the menu too.

I might give this a spin!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whole?

I like to take deer back strap. Cut a slit and make a pocket lengthways. Cream cheese. Jalapeños. Wrap in bacon.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pound out, S&P, flour, egg, panko. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Whole?

I like to take deer back strap. Cut a slit and make a pocket lengthways. Cream cheese. Jalapeños. Wrap in bacon.

This is one of my favorites and always a staple on our annual opening weekend deer hunt.
I usually sauté minced garlic, diced jalapeños and onions then mix it with cream cheese and add some shredded cheese also. Season the backstrap inside the pocket and outside. Stuff and then wrap in bacon.
Cooked on a red oak open fire bbq pit. You can also put it on the smoker and it’s awesome.

Attached Images
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Use a real hot cast iron skillet, some butter and sprinkle liberally with Johnny's Seasoning. Bingo!! Best backstrap (deer or elk) ever!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Simple, salt and pepper, hot fat in a steel/iron pan or a hot grill. Pull at 125 degrees and let rest for 10 min. Slice and serve.

Don't need to complicate it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Simple, salt and pepper, hot fat in a steel/iron pan or a hot grill. Pull at 125 degrees and let rest for 10 min. Slice and serve.

Don't need to complicate it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Damn!! 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Found some Johnnys French Dip.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
This thread has me thinking I need to pull the last of the backstrap from the fall hunt out of the deep freezer. The weekend is now a special occasion. And get me some big mushrooms and onions...

Thanks, guys!

Yep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slice it thin, soak it in a bowl of teriyaki for a couple of hours.

Get the grill up to 350 long enough for the grates to get good and hot.

Slap the backstrap on, use a brush to give them a coat of teriyaki, coat the first on the grill to the last, flip from the first brushed to the last, coat with teriyaki again and then pull off in the same order again, and chow down.

Its easy to over cook them, so you gotta be quick. If you do it right, you can almost cut it with a butter knife.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you do....don't overcook it and let it rest.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dusty246
Thawing some for tomorrow night and looking for some ideas, thanx.

Bacon grease and a HOT frying pan. Don't overcook it .. medium rare is about right. My preference is for seasoning that bring out the taste of the mean rather than trying to mask it. (Unless the meat is "funky" because it wasn't handled correctly in the field. If that's the situation, y' gotta do what y' gotta do, unfortunately.) A bit of black pepper and some pink / Himalayan salt. That is all. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and a salad.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We always have to do a strap like this, cause everyone begs for it...One whole head of purple cabbage get sliced/chopped up and tossed in a pot with some olive oil and cooked down with a few onions, S&P, garlic powder, onion powder. As that begins to cook get the grill HOT and grill the strap until medium rare (closer to the rare side) take off and wrap it in some foil for 15 minutes or so. Take the strap and and start slicing fajita or bit sized chunks when the cabbage is cooked and ready, toss in the strap and toss together and you will eat bowl after bowl...

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.