Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm running a 12 ga / 223 save 24F (newer with safety) with a vortex red dot and I use this gun for farm pests and beaver riddance. Its not used much.

The 12 gauge patterned about 10 inches below the rifle sight point at 30 yards.

Any ideas to get them to shoot to the same point?

The barrels are not soldered together so take the front band off and machine it shorter to bend the barrel up?

Last edited by humdinger; 03/30/21.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you trying to get the shotgun to shoot to the sights?

If you just want the barrels to shoot the same place you can put a wedge between the barrels about 1/2 the way that puts pressure upward on the center of the rifle barrel. That should lower its POI. It doesn't take much pressure to change it substantially. The Valmets have a movable wedge at that point, but the rifle barrel is below the shotgun, so the opposite adjustment applies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, the Baikals have a jack screw in about the same position, which serves the same function.The challenge will be in getting the amount of tension at the midpoint right - a little bit of pressure makes a noticeable difference - and then fixing it in some way so it doesn't move.

The other way you might do it, though I haven't tried it myself, is shimming the band at the muzzles to bring the muzzles slightly closer together. Once you have the two barrels shooting to more or less the same POI you would re-zero the sights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Yes, the Baikals have a jack screw in about the same position, which serves the same function.The challenge will be in getting the amount of tension at the midpoint right - a little bit of pressure makes a noticeable difference - and then fixing it in some way so it doesn't move.

The other way you might do it, though I haven't tried it myself, is shimming the band at the muzzles to bring the muzzles slightly closer together. Once you have the two barrels shooting to more or less the same POI you would re-zero the sights.

Dan,

The problem with shimming the bands, which usually requires relieving them to allow shimming, often changes windage a bit, or a lot if not done with utmost care.

As you correctly state, a little pressure or movement can make big POI movement. Also, IMO, shimming at the front band can really adversely affect general accuracy/widen groups, especially as barrels heat up.

It's an interesting project that I wouldn't like to undertake.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by luv2safari

If you just want the barrels to shoot the same place you can put a wedge between the barrels about 1/2 the way that puts pressure upward on the center of the rifle barrel. That should lower its POI. It doesn't take much pressure to change it substantially. The Valmets have a movable wedge at that point, but the rifle barrel is below the shotgun, so the opposite adjustment applies.

Yes - trying to shift the shotgun pattern up 10 inches... or possibly bring the rifle down 10 inches

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t you loosen the screw on the barrel band and move it back and forth to change the POI?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The center lug regulates elevation. The lug on the rifle barrel slides and pushes up or pulls down, depending on its position. The shotgun barrel, being far more rigid, is affected little if at all.

The slide at the muzzle is for windage on the Valmets. They are a great and simple design.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Yes - trying to shift the shotgun pattern up 10 inches... or possibly bring the rifle down 10 inches

On the 24F with the rifle on top that's the best scenario, since all you need is a wedge between barrels pushing up slightly on the center of the rifle barrel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.