Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Welp, got my old rifle back from my 'Smith today, the old girls buttstock had began to crumble at the tang, kinda splintering and oil soaked, 'Smith buddy loves old Winchester lever actions, Colt 1911's and SAA's, he's also a Mauser nut, he offered to spruce the old girl up, complete with a new set of stocks, correct re-blue, he even color cased the butt plate, fore end cap, and a little flat, what i assume to be a spring retainer plate behind the load gate.

The old rifle turned out beautiful, it should now last close to another hundred years, shot it today in a hell of an East wind shooting dew North, 3 rounds of the old heavy jacket 250gr Barnes's landed into a couple inches, also a couple inches left of center, i'll go back in calm weather and center the rifle, chronoed a couple at 2188 fps, i dont lean on the old rifle, and where i come from that's plenty of velocity for bolt peep sight hunting within 200 yards.

Bought some of the Alaskan Bullet Works 250gr Kodiaks, thought i'd have to use those or the big 250gr Woodleighs, learned right here from North61 and others the old 250gr Barnes is not so bad after all, i was glad to read/learn that, have only shot one deer and one pig with this rifle before it went in for a makeover, it done a fine job.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pictures?
I have a 1940 71 Deluxe w / factory bolt peep, best lever action ever made in my opinion

Attached Images
71 grip cap.jpg (35.95 KB, 685 downloads)
model 71 5.jpg (26.1 KB, 690 downloads)
Last edited by Mossyoak1957; 03/30/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang, beautiful rifle Mossyoak, i agree, they are fine rifles, i had forgot how light and quick handling it was, never shot a big Grizzly/Kodiak bear, but would have absolutely no problem going after one with this rifle, that goes for timber elk and moose too.

I'd have to get Pacecars or Riflecrank to post some pics for me, i took about 6 pics today, fun, fun rifles they are.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sounds good,
just got mine this past winter didn't shoot it yet but it will be hitting the woods here in PA for Black Bear this fall, cost me a small fortune stocking up on ammo for it not the best time to be buying ammo.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sounds great Gunner! A bolt peep sighted Winchester 71 is on my wish list. I have taken several head of African game and this BC moose with my Browning 71 in .348 Win using a max load of Varget under Swift 200 grain A Frames:

[Linked Image]

It is a fine cartridge! Would love to find a classic bolt peep sighted Winchester in this caliber! I've taken a couple of brown bears (both with a .500 S&W handgun) but like you I wouldn't hesitate to hunt one with a .348 Win!

Looking forward to your pics!

DJH

Last edited by 8Point; 03/30/21.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Mossyoak, and dang, bet that factory ammo was/is very expensive, thankful for a couple hundred sticks of old WW brass and a set of dies.

Man, that's nice 8point, heck of a deal, beautiful bull moose, i suppose even at 200 grains those A-frames are giving you plenty of penetration? and yes Sir, the old 71's are cool, 200 yard steel is pure cake with the bolt peep.

Trump Won!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am indeed an A Frame fan! I've taken several head of game with the .44 Mag and 240 and 280 grain A Frames (deer and hogs) and the 300 and 325 grain A Frame in the 454 Casull (caribou and several African species up to the size of Kudu). They have worked so well for me in revolvers that it was only natural to try them in the lever guns. I was not disappointed! If they don't pass all the way through they are found just under the skin on the opposite shoulder with very high weight retention. As an added benefit, the 200 grainer shoots extremely well in my Browning 71.

I plan to use the 450 grain A Frame in the .50-110 this Summer on Cape Buff as well.

Last edited by 8Point; 03/30/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, after hanging around and reading from some big bore handgun hunters, i bought and worked up loads for my 44 and 454 with 300 and 325gr A-frames, i bet once i drop the hammer on one of those i'm not likely to get it back, they penetrate like crazy according to the big bore handgunners.

Great news on the 200gr A-Frames, those 450's from your 50-110 are going to knock the soup out of M'Bogo! ; ]

I cant wait to read that report and see those pics too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great news Mossyoak and 8point, our friend Riflecrank has once again decided to bless my i.t. challenged soul, he will post a few pics i sent of my 348 Winchester, my old 'Smith Buddy done a real Bangup job! and you all should see the blue job he done on my '09 DWM 98 Mauser in 7X57, if that guy likes what he's working on Professional/Gunsmith/Guild etc, etc does not exceed.

For an example, i talked him into doing a trigger job for another Buddies 700 Remington varmint rifle in 22-250, the moment he finished the job he called and hollered, come get this POS outta my shop!!!!! grin

The trigger breaks at 8 ounces, it passes the slam bolt home as hard and fast as you want, bust butt on the floor without dropping the hammer, as said, the Old Guy knows his chit. smile

I'm more than happy that he calls me Friend.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The old rifle sounds like it got a fine make over. This is what she looked like before the work was done:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I liked the patina of the old girl, but if the butt stock needed replaced, sounds like it was time to add some life back. I'm anxious to see the end result.. Tell your buddy to hurry and post those damn pics.. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL BSA, old 'Smith buddy said that was real elephant ivory under that black paint he was thinking 'brand' that some Western cattle ranchers would have used back in the day to identify one of their rifles, serial numbers can be filed off, but who the fu-k has a chunk of real Ele ivory in 1937, i'll tell ya who, the same sombitch that owns this 15 thousand acre cattle ranch! laugh

Riflecrank is a busy man, but, i've known him to post very late, my happy ass is up this late waiting on a sat cc, maybe he'll post pics before he sacks out tonight. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW, that happens to be the second damn accurate rifle you've sold me Buddy, What's Up with that? wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gunner500's latest precious, for his comments:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Front sight still looks like this ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
BTW, that happens to be the second damn accurate rifle you've sold me Buddy, What's Up with that? wink

I sell good accurate rifles... I won't sell a rifle that doesn't shoot well. I've sold 79s here a few rifles as well.. Your old rifle looks beautiful man !! Yeah, a buddy of mine thought that was real ivory as well. He said the same thing as you did, about rich cattle ranchers. It was a good identifier, like a brand... I'm sure that old girl rode around a few miles in a saddle scabbard too... Hey speaking of accurate old rifles. I shot a buddies 1990's Marlin 336 38-55 with long octagon barrel. That rifle was damn accurate. He handloads cast bullets with New correct length and neck thickness Starline brass with correct diameter bullets for the rifle and that thing is a damn tack driver. He has 3 38-55's, but this one is the best shooting one of the lot. He said he wanted me to shoot it to see what it was capable of. You know I have to shoot right handed with irons, the reason I sold you the model 71. When I shot that rifle, he was spotting for me and the first 2 shots were touching. He said they went into the same hole, but I didn't believe him. He said "6 o'clock 1" low, but in the same hole". So I held the same spot on the bullseye and fired again. The third one made a 3/4" group (at 100 yards). That's the only lever rifle that I know of that is more accurate than the 71 I sold to you... My buddy has a scoped 71 that he can shoot 1" 3 shot groups with, but a scope on one of those is like cheating.. grin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wow, that turned out great Gunner, congrats! cool I think that this is a perfect excuse for you to go shoot those 250 Barnes bullets into something large!

grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sir Ron, many Thanks for posting the pics Sir, and yes, the rifle still has it's front sight and hood, but, the hood didn't get re-blued, my dumb butt forgot to take it to 'Smith, that's okay, i'll still have a piece of originality left ; ] he put new springs, firing pin and anything else that had heavy wear, as said, that things ready for another hundred years now.

Thanks buddy BSA, and yes you sure do sell accurate rifles, that pre-64 375 H&H thinks it's a varmint rifle, sounds like your other buddy has the 38-55's figured out, me too, i shoot a 380" 265gr Beartooth hard cast in my 94 lever 38-55, it's a hole puncher too, hard to see the group i fired on the box yesterday, i took the rock out of the box and threw it back in the creek, damn wind blew the box as i was taking the pic, it was about to rain, i had to haul ass back to the house, cant be getting your brand new old rifle wet! grin

8point, Thank you too Sir, iirc the old Barnes' are about pure copper and lead, leaving at an easy 2188 should let the old bullet work as it's penetrating, that said, and money paid, traveling for a hunt, i'd have to load it with the 250gr Bonded Kodiaks i have, or use the big Woodleigh's or A-Frames, still wish Swift would make a 250 grain A-Frame, another fine hammer to add to the 348 Winchester tool box.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As per gunner500, here is the original front sight hood on the refinished barrel.
That old patina on the hood is a good thing, looks sorta-like color case hardening:

[Linked Image]

I think a hardcast 250-gr FNGC sized to .350" diameter after PC paint would do nicely in any .348 WCF for smokeless loads
befitting that rifle and cartridge.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a great rifle and cartridge to have in ones hands when creeping though the North Woods looking for moose and knowing old Griz is some where around. Yours is a beauty and thanks for sharing. I Ackley Improved a new Miroku Mod. 71 Deluxe last year and had a few other things done to it and it is the best looking rifle I own. My favorite sling for my lever guns is the quick adjusting Montana sling, they look better with age.

My other beauty is my old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 made in 1958. At my age I appreciate what I grew up with, blue steel and walnut. Been using them here in Alaska for 55 years.

I hope to slay a moose and brown bear with my Mod. 71 Ackley this year. May you make many gut piles and memories with your great rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm no fan of refinishing old classics, but when they're in need and it's done right, it's beautiful thing. That sure came out nice gunner!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sir Ron, you're exactly right, that old hood indeed looks like case colors, i'll take it, can also see where the old scabbards polished the edges on that hood, never thought about hardcast in my rifle, a good hard gas checked bullet with the largest flat meplat that would reliable run in the action would be a heck of a load, would need to check twist and bullet lengths, if stable, a 280 grainer would be a toughy.

1Akshooter, Thank You for the kind words, as said and thought by me many times, i think the 348 Winchester with a good bullet would indeed be a fine big bear rifle, i had forgot how light, nimble and fast pointing the rifle is, dusk or dawn would call for a simple unscrew up the aperture and complete the hunts with the ghost ring, i like the old guns too Sir, something about blued steel and walnut that wont let me go, closing in hard on 60 years of age, i dont think it ever will, i plan to roll out many gut piles with this rifle, fun hunting it will certainly be.

tmitch, Thank You too sir, and i fully agree with leaving the old guns be, we can ask our friend BSA here who i got the rifle from, it had a hell of a hard working life, the scabbard [left] side of the rifle barrel and mag tube was ate up with pits from moisture, the side of the action had some pretty good scars from a horse wreck or possibly rock slide fall while hunting, that buttstock done the heavy lifting for a lot of years, it was getting weak and time to go, plus, my old 'Smith Buddy is getting old too, thought i'd better get it done while i could, my survivors can argue gun values if they care too, i wont be minding that a bit. smile

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.