Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
There was a thread started by Doc Rocket back in 2012 about modifying brass to make handgun shotshells for .45 Colts and .44 Magnums. This is done by modifying other brass to fit the chambers. The thread initially dealt with making these shotshells for a .45 Colt. Later in the discussion, it was said that for a .44 Magnum, they could be done by modifying a .445 Supermag case. The supermag case does not need to be shortened, but the forward .30" or so does need to be sized down to fit the chamber throats. The overall case length is fine for the chamber, thereby using the most room for a large shot load. It was said that these supermag case ends can be sized down properly by using a .40 cal/10 mm sizing die. The outside diameter of a .445 SM case is the same as a .44 Mag case, .456". The throats on my .44 are exactly .430". The outside specs for a .40 cal case is .423", so this should fit just right in my chamber throats. Now, my problem is both times I have tried to run a piece of .445 SM brass into my .40 sizing die, I have crushed the case. Anyone have any ideas how I can downsize this to fit a .430" throat? I only need about .30" of the case end downsized. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact Doc Rocket about this problem. He and others have done it, so I know there is a way.

Last edited by Henryseale; 03/29/21. Reason: punctuation

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
try starting your necking with a 41 mag sizer. if using a carbide still lube the snot out of the case. lettuse know how it turns out.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When resizing cases, I've found that it helps to go by intermediate steps, lubing the case well (I use a wax, the name of which I can't remember) and going slowly, inserting the case a little bit, backing it out, turning it 90 degrees, inserting it again, backing it out, turning it again, etc. It's a slow process, but it works for me. I'm sizing .30-30 cases down to .219 Zipper, so you'll see why I'm doing it in steps. I don't know what you could use for an intermediate step, but 0.026 in one step is asking a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
try starting your necking with a 41 mag sizer. if using a carbide still lube the snot out of the case. lettuse know how it turns out.

Best option, think 41 mag is .432

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before there was a 445 Supermag I used cut to cylinder length 30-40 Krag brass with rims thinned & reduced in diameter. After fireforming a Lyman 41 mag carbide die has always worked for me. Nothing else needed. My cylinder throats measure .432".

Just checked a few of these & the reduced portion of the case measures between .427 & .430". Thinking the carbide insert is tapered a bit, so maybe just push the case in a tiny bit more to fit your cylinder? There's not enough threads in the press to properly adjust the die for full ram movement, so it's all done by feel. I usually insert the shortened .410 wads before sizing, but can still sneak them in afterward. This sure isn't precision reloading, so if the "neck" is a few thou longer it doesn't matter.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks to all for the replies! Sounds like logical advice, going from .456" down to .434", then down to .423". I happen to know of a local fellow who had some .41 Mag dies for sale a while back. I will call him and see if he still has them. If so, I'll then have an excuse, er...I mean, reason to get a .41 since I will have the dies to load for it, right? Sounds logical to me.... Now, if I can get my wife to buy that reasoning! :-) Enjoy the day!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Uhh...ohh...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
OK, situation update: I bought the set of .41 Mag dies. Resized a .445 Supermagnum case in the .41 sizing die (well lubed) down about .30". No problem doing so. Then changed to the .40 cal/10mm sizing die, relubed the case, and completed the sizing down to where I did before. The case fits perfectly in my .44 Magnum chambers. Thanks for the advice to all! It worked like a charm.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.