Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My son will be going into high school Fall of this year and is really interested in trying and joining the Trap shooting team. I’ve never been a wing shooter so I’ve also never shot much skeet or trap or etc. Looking for any suggestions on a shotgun to maybe pickup for him to give him a decent chance going into this. I know these sorta guns can get fancy & elaborate. I’m going to use some common sense here and say with him just starting out and not knowing if he’ll stick with it ... I really don’t find it necessary to spend an arm & leg on this gun for him. What I would like though, is a good shotgun with possibly some adjustability with the stock and the various chokes needed for the barrel. Also, I’m not sure if I need to be looking at pumps, auto loaders, or break actions?? Yes ... I’m pretty clueless! Can any of you folks get me pointed in the right direction?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beretta semi auto...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
G
Get a shotgun with a trap specific stock and make sure it fits him for length of pull. Field guns with a drop on the comb from 1 1/2” sloping to 2 1/2” tend to bang up the cheek and can be inconsistent depending on how the gun is mounted. Trap stocks generally shoot a pattern that is 60/40 to 80/20 and allow the shooter to pull the trigger before the rising target is covered up by the barrel.
Berettas are great and soft shooting. Auto loaders are generally more comfortable for recoil but having the stock fit correctly is he first factor to consider. A good option is to go to the gun club when hey are practicing and have him try several different guns. Trapshooters are generally very open to someone trying their guns for a few shots or a round of practice.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m one of the coaches for our local high school trap and sporting clays teams. My advice is to see if you can speak with the coach at the school your son will be attending. They should be able to make some recommendations and talk with you about fitting the gun to your son knowing he’s going to grow and need adjustments made over time.
It’s a great sport to get your son or daughter into.
Good luck.

Bob

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Whatever the gun costs will be immaterial to keeping it fed.if you can find the trap loads. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
You might want to talk with the coach before purchasing a shotgun for your son. Years ago when I was coaching 4H shotgun sports, Beretta had a discount program for youth shotgun sports. I saw a lot of kids getting a 391 which was a very good choice. The 391 stock could be set up for a left or right handed shooter and had 4 positions of vertical adjustment .All the available adjustments made the guns easy to fit to the individual. To paraphrase dead Johnny Cochran of OJ fame, if it don’t fit, you can’t hit.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MOGC
Beretta semi auto...

Your best bet, or a BT 99.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Wnincheser super x model 1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Wnincheser super x model 1.

Great gun... in 1981.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The only thing I keep thinking about is possibly the safety factor of an over/under in the fact when he’s carrying it around he can just break it open and everyone then knows he’s got a cleared safe gun. With high school kids I’d imagine they can get excited and safety possibly forgotten at times. I work with my kid a lot on the safety aspect of firearms but it never hurts to try avoiding accidents before they ever happen. Curious if I’m thinking correctly on this?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
The only thing I keep thinking about is possibly the safety factor of an over/under in the fact when he’s carrying it around he can just break it open and everyone then knows he’s got a cleared safe gun. With high school kids I’d imagine they can get excited and safety possibly forgotten at times. I work with my kid a lot on the safety aspect of firearms but it never hurts to try avoiding accidents before they ever happen. Curious if I’m thinking correctly on this?

I would say the majority of kids getting into sporting clays start with Semi auto. I have never seen a problem.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I would say the majority of kids getting into sporting clays start with Semi auto. I have never seen a problem.

Agreed. Our team consisted of three girls and one boy. That team won state in shotgun sports.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You would be surprised with the number of individuals who automatically notice if the bolt on a SA is closed or open, when someone isn’t on the pad or in the cage..

One doesn’t error long before it is brought to their attention.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would recommend a Beretta semi auto. I like the 390 or 391. They are pretty easy to adjust to fit to almost anyone and there is a big variety of parts and aftermarket accessories to help set it up as he wants. It will get him started until he knows exactly what he wants and hold its value if you ever decide to sell it and get something else. An over/under is nice but I think you really need to know what you want and what fits you before you get one. If it doesn't fit right, an o/u is a lot harder to change and he will feel the recoil a lot more.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Does anyone have an opinion on him shooting a 12ga or 20ga? He seems to shoot either fine. Just curious if you all had opinions on this?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you buy a 20 you will end up replacing it for the kid with a 12. The 20 ga target loads availible hold 7/8 oz of #9 a fine load on 16 yard targets even in a 12 but will be inadequate on handicap and 2nd shot doubles. Patterns of 7/8 oz of 8's and 7 1/2 shot will not be dense enough or fast enough for good breaks on 35 to 45 yard targets. So buy once cry once and again ammo will be the issue (the scarecity of it) for someone just getting into the game. You asked

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
If you buy a 20 you will end up replacing it for the kid with a 12. The 20 ga target loads availible hold 7/8 oz of #9 a fine load on 16 yard targets even in a 12 but will be inadequate on handicap and 2nd shot doubles. Patterns of 7/8 oz of 8's and 7 1/2 shot will not be dense enough or fast enough for good breaks on 35 to 45 yard targets. So buy once cry once and again ammo will be the issue (the scarecity of it) for someone just getting into the game. You asked

His school actually supplies all 12ga ammo to the shooters made possible through donations ... if you choose to shoot a 20ga you have to supply that yourself

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Also, what are the differences in the Beretta 390 & 391?

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Also, what are the differences in the Beretta 390 & 391?

Basically the difference between the two are components in the gas system. The triggers and many other parts are the same. You couldn’t go wrong with either choice.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One advantage of the newer Beretta SA's is the recoil spring is now up front and is part of the front magazine assembly and not hidden in the buttstock...Something that is recommended to be changed when it gets weak. A much easier job with the new models.

On any ot the Beretta SA models the recommended interval is 8,000 to 10,000 rounds..

Last edited by battue; 03/31/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
314 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.