Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Me, only when my back is acting up.

I grew up using hiking sticks. I used one 6'+ most of a couple decades. Then I started using double trekking poles. Basically adjustable ski poles.
They are much lighter than any wood except bamboo.
Skip the cheap aluminum ones and ask your son in law for a carbon fiber pair that has 5 star ratings.
I'd pick it out from REI or wherever and ask for the exact set you want. Write down the order number so he doesn't accidentally get the wrong ones.

They come in foam, cork, and various plastic/rubber grips. I like the foam as your sweaty hands don't slip.
It's not that expensive when you consider how much you will enjoy using them and walking more. They keep your upper body mobile and strong, while reducing knee and hip stress.
It'll make a good birthday present.

β˜• πŸ˜‰ πŸ‘

It's biblical too.
Some great men in the Bible used them, young and old.
Young David and Moses at 80+ . (I think Jack wanted me to add this part.)

"And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.
Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD'S, and he will give you into our hands....
Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled."

I Samuel 17

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by slumlord
Wife and I been doing magnesium oil last 3 weeks. I cannot sense any difference. She says he benefits her and gives her energy. No more headaches either.

Mag deficiency may or β€˜may not’ have some helpful effect on migraines.

Magnesium is required for a hundred+ functions.
It's good to know about it like you do.
The MgCl is much more absorbed and utilized than the oxide form or Epsom salt. It's best used with another good form, but you won't find locally in a drug store.
Do you eat a lot of dark greens?

Why certainly

Dressed my legacy stand of collards yesterday with wood chips and mulch.

I post pics sometimes on here but the mtn dew, candy bar, beef jerky tittie babies shun collards and turnip greens. πŸ˜ƒ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some trekking poles are spring loaded for a cushion. I don't like them. When you need to push off to step up or over something, you lose the force you need.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Been using a walking stick for several years now, while hiking steep ground.

My mobility ain't what it used to be! (68 now)

Virgil B.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always liked carrying a staff or a cane and appreciate it even more as I look forward to the "golden years". Climbing steep trails is easier with a little help from the stick. A friend once told me it was desirable to know how to deliver the "stick-lickin' " so I suppose they'd work for that too. GD

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Wife and I been doing magnesium oil last 3 weeks. I cannot sense any difference. She says he benefits her and gives her energy. No more headaches either.

Mag deficiency may or β€˜may not’ have some helpful effect on migraines.

Magnesium is required for a hundred+ functions.
It's good to know about it like you do.
The MgCl is much more absorbed and utilized than the oxide form or Epsom salt. It's best used with another good form, but you won't find locally in a drug store.
Do you eat a lot of dark greens?

Why certainly

Dressed my legacy stand of collards yesterday with wood chips and mulch.

I post pics sometimes on here but the mtn dew, candy bar, beef jerky tittie babies shun collards and turnip greens. πŸ˜ƒ

Awesome possum!

You are way ahead of me.
I'm going to set up my seed planters tonight.

There's nothing better than greens like that for the best source of Mg and whatever they can draw up from the soil.

You are doing wood chip mulch? Excellent!
I have cardboard thats ready for my moss mulch soon.
One thing I want to plant are collards too. I'll be picking dandylions until the mixed greens get to size.

On the back issue, etc., I'm working with a big chain saw up in trees now and when my back gets tight/ sore, I buy a bunch of dark greens and eat salads. It helps me better than most anything else. Hope yours clears up soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some trekking poles are spring loaded for a cushion. I don't like them. When you need to push off to step up or over something, you lose the force you need.

I never bought those for that reason.
Good you mentioned that for Wabigoon.
I never needed shock absorbers, but noticed the aluminum vibrates and fatigues the arms faster than Carbon fiber. The big white oak is the only flex I found helpful, but thats comparing apples and oranges.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After my accident I suffered a stroke and what they called traumatic brain injury physical therapist have offered me various canes . I will use the walker when and if I go to court .

Of the various canes they have offered me none had a blade inside or fired a 12 gauge shotgun round so they were unsatisfactory .

I have a walking stick that a friend made me out of locust and finished nicely .

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Diamond willow's are the prettiest.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from img0.etsystatic.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wabigoon,

Thats a work of art.
I've never seen grain color like that in any of my willows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
After my accident I suffered a stroke and what they called traumatic brain injury physical therapist have offered me various canes . I will use the walker when and if I go to court .

Of the various canes they have offered me none had a blade inside or fired a 12 gauge shotgun round so they were unsatisfactory .

I have a walking stick that a friend made me out of locust and finished nicely .

This movie platform is a little temperamental, but it usually works with patience. You might like Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman.

https://www11.123movieshub.one/movie/zatoichis-flashing-sword-1964/watching/?ep=3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick and Wabi,

Here's a sharp walking stick.
I don't think you can order it from REI unfortunately.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Carry one whenever I'm in the woods without a long gun: cruising timber, walking the dog, looking for sheds, etc. Helps with balance and beating down the brush and briars.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I carry a stout cane when in courthouses or airports.

I was diagnosed w/ a herniated disc at L4-5 last month and now use my trekking poles for all hikes and they are a gamechanger for me.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This guy is a cane craftsman.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That would be too pretty to use.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.