D

BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Builds off.
With the pre64 375, 458 wm and a possible ruger in 416 rigby I think the big bore itch is scratched. How ever that ruger guide 416 looks pretty slick.
If the rigby falls through I have a feeling about that guide gun.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics, I like the 458.

From my experience with the big bores I have owned and others I have shot, you may be on the right track. Try a bunch of different rifles/cartridges until you find the one that is right for you.
Unless your goal is to own a bunch of different big bores, find the one package you like and shoot the heck out of.

My simple goal is to have one big rifle. Non looney of me I know. I want it to be over 40 caliber. My 375 was an opportunity that came up. While I like it, the comfort level is not there.

I only have 100 rounds through my new to me 416 Remington and already feel very comfortable with it. I can shoot the 416 as comfortably as my 375, so much so, that the 375 will probably go down the road once the 416 is completely done and have a bunch more range time with it..

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’m thinking the rigby will follow me home tomorrow and my next step will be to try a 416 ruger guide. Then sell what I don’t like.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shoot a CZ 550 416 Rigby and 416 Remington on the Winchester 70. I like the Rem version of these two better for handiness and was quicker to my shoulder. On my one buffalo hunt (I'm not an expert) i used the 350gr Barnes TSX's at 2550 fps with R-15. You can get another 100 fps out of this quite easily and i did, but backed it down for a little less recoil. I carried that rifle maybe 40 miles on a 14 day hunt. When i finally shot my buff at 15 yards, it was instant lights out for the buff, fell on its nose and death bellowed.

All this to say, make your rifle balanced between power and handiness, and you certainly don't need more juice than the 416 Rem Mag provides. My PH carried a stock 416 Weatherby Mag, but complained about the price of ammo in Zimbabwe to feed it.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DingoDuk
I’m thinking the rigby will follow me home tomorrow and my next step will be to try a 416 ruger guide. Then sell what I don’t like.

Enjoy your journey and keep us posted on your experiences.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Ended up with the rigby it’s a heavy sob I’ll see how it shoots and if I enjoy all the forward weight.
Might end up swapping it for the Ruger 416 guide gun if I can’t fall in love with the M77 of old.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Weight seems to be a drawback to the Rigby, which requires a bigger action, etc.

The .416 Rem seems to be growing in popularity generally, the SS Ruger .416 in Alaska. Ruger built a package that seems to fit the needs of hunters in AK. Both are good rounds, either one I’d pick over the Rigby. My bud really likes his RSM Rigby, but it is heavy.

New powders and improved bullets make .416’s even more effective. So, the “good old days” of rifle technology is not as good as what we now enjoy.

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve shot Cape Buffalo with a few different calibers, including 458 Winchester, 375 H&H, 470 NE and 416 Hoffman. The only heavy rifle I have now is the 416 Hoffman, which I acquired about a month before Remington announced their version of 416.

If I were to get a new 416 today, it would be 416 Remington, in a controlled round feed Model 70.

The Remington is nearly the same as Hoffman, only difference is the shoulder on the Hoffman is about 1/8” farther forward, so you can shoot 416 Remington cartridges in a Hoffman, not not the other way. My Hoffman load up to now has been a 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw atop RL15 at 2,510. It’s a great Buffalo load. However, I’m about to start tweaking it as finding Bullets is very difficult right now and I have a Buffalo hunt coming up.

I’ve got a 16-day hunt coming up in western Tanzania that includes 3 buffalo bulls and am considering what to shoot in my 416. So far, I have 350 gr TTSX’s & 400 gr Cutting Edge Raptors in hand and have 400 gr Swift A-frames on back order. Also have some 400 gr Trophy Bonded sledgehammer solids. I should be able to get some 400 grain TSX’s by early May. It’s going to be fun testing these various Bullets and will make the time until October fly by. I expect I’ll be able to push the 350’s around 2,650-2,700 but am not sure I want to. It’s hard to argue with a 400 at 2,500+, that load really is great Buffalo medicine. My PH, Alan Vincent, thinks I should stick with 400 grain Bullets.

I gave all that background because you can nearly duplicate it with a 416 Remington. While I love the history and tradition of the Rigby, I think the Remington is the best practical option.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
While I love the history and tradition of the Rigby, I think the Remington is the best practical option.

With today’s powder options and able to fit in a std full length mag action, the Rem does make more sense than the Rigby.

The Rigby has an outstanding history and is a great round. The Rem will almost equal its performance in a lighter, less expensive package. Thus, it’s more practical.

DF

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This might not be what many would opt for, but here’s what I had built for my .416... I went with a .416 Hoffman, because Remington had not yet announced their 416 when I had mine built by Champlin Firearms.

It’s a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 with 22” Shilen stainless barrel. Brown Precision fiberglass stock, barrel band front swivel stud to protect hand on forearm, German claw mounts for quick on/off scope with fixed open sights. Scope is a Leupold 1.5-5x. Weight about 9 1/2 pounds, IIRC.

The load I shot has been 81.0 grains of RL-15, pushing 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bullets at 2,510 FPS. I’m getting ready for an October hunt with 3 buffalo on license and going to be testing a variety of other Bullets since Bearclaws are tough to find these days. For solids, I have Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers, Cutting Edge Safari Solids and Woodleigh Breakaway Solids, all in 400 grain. For expanding, so far I have 370 grain Cutting Edge Raptors and 350 grain Barnes TTSXs. Still waiting on some 400 grain Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame and Nosler Partitions. Load development is going to be interesting, and I’ll work from my current load downward till I find what shoots best between 2,400-2,500.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 03/14/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DingoDuk

That’s a nice rifle Fred, Matt was saying it’s a pussycat with the kdf.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rigby or Rem. Both kill efficiently and work great. I have used both. I prefer the Rigby for no other reason than that is what I have.

There are no bad .416 cartridges. All work.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
416 rigby is a keeper. I’m in love with the horse power got 400 Aframes well under min of buffalo.

Im in the process of regulating the sights now.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Neither.

Just get a 375 H&H, which is all you need for buffalo.

The 416s are not really "all around/general use" calibers. Kind of a waste of space and weight for a second rifle to bring for only one animal. They are overkill for plains game and on the lightish side for elephant. You really don't need anything bigger than a 3-7-5 for buffalo anyway.

The 375 H&H will be much more accurate, reach out further, and in combination, more accurate at longer range. Even with a rest and in a blind, your PH won't be saying "take the Rigby" to snipe that croc or hippo. The 375 H&H will also handle a bit better both on sticks and freehand. Much easier to get a second bullet downrange with a 375 H&H. The "field' recovery time alone on a 3-7-5 outweighs any theoretical "internet" more dead 416 argument.

Finally, the 375 H&H has a very light recoil due to its taper. I am not recoil sensitive at all. To me felt recoil is not much more than a 300 Win. You know you've shot a 416 Rigby. Again improves both accuracy and quick follow ups.

Oh and good luck trying to find ammo over there. (Don't tell anyone you've got a 375 H&H as everyone will be hitting you up to buy your ammo.)

Here's my Holehan 416 Rigby on top and my Pre War Mod 70. The Rigby has never been to Africa and I'll never (need to) take it. Very pretty and look good on paper, but in retrospect for me a huge waste of money.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 05/23/21.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
Neither.

The 416s are not very all around general use calibers. Kind of a waste of space and weight for a second rifle to bring for only one animal. They are overkill for plains game and on the lightish side for elephant. You really don't need anything bigger than a 3-7-5 for buffalo anyway.

The 375 H&H will be much more accurate, reach out further, and in combination, more accurate at longer range. The 375 H&H will also handle a bit better both on sticks and freehand. Much easier to get a second bullet downrange with a 375 H&H. The "field' recovery time alone on a 3-7-5 outweighs any theoretical "internet" more dead 416 argument.

Finally, the 375 H&H has a very light recoil due to its taper. I am not recoil sensitive. To me felt recoil is not much more than a 300 Win. You know you've shot a 416 Rigby. Again improves both accuracy and quick follow ups.

Good luck trying to find ammo over there. (Don't tell anyone you've got a 375 H&H as everyone will be hitting you up to buy your ammo.)

Here's my Holehan 416 Rigby on top and my Pre War Mod 70. The Rigby has never been to Africa and I'll never (need to) take it. Very pretty but in retrospect a huge waste of money.

Harry Selby would disagree with you about the 416 not being an all-around rifle..

I'd go with an 8 pound 416 Remington with 350 go TTSX

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
Neither.

The 416s are not very all around general use calibers. Kind of a waste of space and weight for a second rifle to bring for only one animal. They are overkill for plains game and on the lightish side for elephant. You really don't need anything bigger than a 3-7-5 for buffalo anyway.

The 375 H&H will be much more accurate, reach out further, and in combination, more accurate at longer range. The 375 H&H will also handle a bit better both on sticks and freehand. Much easier to get a second bullet downrange with a 375 H&H. The "field' recovery time alone on a 3-7-5 outweighs any theoretical "internet" more dead 416 argument.

Finally, the 375 H&H has a very light recoil due to its taper. I am not recoil sensitive. To me felt recoil is not much more than a 300 Win. You know you've shot a 416 Rigby. Again improves both accuracy and quick follow ups.

Good luck trying to find ammo over there. (Don't tell anyone you've got a 375 H&H as everyone will be hitting you up to buy your ammo.)

Here's my Holehan 416 Rigby on top and my Pre War Mod 70. The Rigby has never been to Africa and I'll never (need to) take it. Very pretty but in retrospect a huge waste of money.

Harry Selby would disagree with you about the 416 not being an all-around rifle..

I'd go with an 8 pound 416 Remington with 350 go TTSX

Phil’s daughter in AK uses a .416 Rem as her all around rifle, including sheep. First of all, she can shoot it and she won’t get surprised by a big bear and not be prepared.

That apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

My bud’s .416 Rem is as accurate as my .375 H&H, both will go MOA with select loads.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Modern times. Reality. Not internet theory.

He also did not have A Frames....or any decent soft projectile.

TSX in big bores ain't all that and a bag of chips. A lot of PHs who welcomed them with open arms when they first came out are now coming full circle and going back to A frames. Just not opening up at lower velocities.

I'll never use them again on anything bigger than a 300 Win.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 05/23/21.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Until I have a problem with the ones I have ill stay with the bag of chips

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If I were to make another 416 it would be a 416 Taylor. I owned one and I have made about 15 of them and I like the fact it's a standard sized Mauser so it carries very easily and gives the exact same ballistics as the 1920s 416 Rigby in a more slender rifle.
I believe the 416 Ruger may be everything the Taylor is, but having not made any 416 Rugers I can't say what is needed to make the cartridges feed from a Mauser, which is my favorite action.
But a 400 grain bullet at 2300 to 2350 needs not apologize for anything, anywhere.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.