Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My ratings are admittedly colored by the fact I am a Southern boy.

I have (a few times) tasted Walleye and it could possibly make a run for the top spot, but I just don't have enough experience to make that call. Trout seem to have a good taste if propperly prepared, but are much too soft-fleshed (mushy) to make the top list.

Most people who say they like fish.....really don't like a "fishy" taste. For them Crappie may be prefered due to it's firm flesh and mild flavor.

For that matter Largemouth / Smallmouth Bass are in the same catigory and you get the added benifit of a great feeling when cleaning them. Make sure you are close to a dock favored by the fanatical catch-and-release crowd and openly clean your catch. The look on their faces is worth as much as the filets.

Great flavor is had in Pike, Buffalo and Carp.....but the trouble with the many tiny "Y" bones takes them out of first place.

Over-all it's got to be catfish. Not just any catfish though.....they are different.

Any catfish living in still waters (lake, pond, ect) is inferior to one caught in a flowing river. The fact these have to "work for a living" makes their flesh so much firmer and tastey.

Pond raised catfish are the worst of the lot as they not only have the disadvantages of any still-water cats, but also are fed pellets that take away the true "catfish" flavor. Maybe that's why so many prefer them because, as stated before, many who claim to love fish really don't like the fish taste.

Also eleminate catfish caught in most tailrace areas in rivers as the constant flow of injued baitfish allows them to simply sit on the bottom and eat without working...makes for a fat, soft flesh.

Wild river cats are rated as such......Flatheads are best. Always firm fleshed, even if of tremendous size. Guess it's because they are true preditors and eat alsmost exclusivly live bait.

Channel cats.....also firm fleshed and seldom so big as to get "fat". Flavor is milder than Flatheads and Blues, but still difinitely "catfishy".

Blue Cats.......under about 10 pounds. Great taste and if caught in a free flowing river firm fleshed. Over 10 pounds or so they begin to get fat and soft and once over 25 pound or so are as bad as still-water cats.

I love bream also, but small size means many, many fish are needed for a meal. However, if you run into ones big enough to filet (3/4 pound or so)....they are great.

Just my opinion, but gained over 50 years of eating everything that swims. By the way.....worst you'll ever eat are Grinnel unless eaten right out of the grease. Once they start to cool at all.......are almost inedible.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TexasRick,

When I was a student doing a internship down south, TN, catfish was definitely the prefered fish of choice. Unfortunately, us northern boys (Pittsburgh) who fish the rivers aren't recommended to eat any catfish from there. Ashame, as I quite a few really nice size flatheads from there. Mouths big enough to stick my to fist in there down to my elbows. Trying to retrieve my shad rap rapla (size 5 or 7) which look like a midget fry in their mouth!!!

Regards,

Leo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perch is first, followed by Bluegill.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Salmon follow by catfish. All others run a distance third.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Walleye
Rainbow Trout
Crappie
Channel Catfish

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. walleye
2. perch
3. cold smoked salmon(lox)
4. smoked eel(unagi)

J
J
Crappie !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lake Superior Yellow Perch....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most definately Crappie....
Bluegill and smallmouth bass rounding out my top three.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sea-run cutthroat returnin' from the ocean.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Northerns, Walleyes, and Perch. Through the ice is best.

Fish just seem to taste a lot better that are caught in colder water vs warmer summer months.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Ted smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Spring Chinook, Pretty hard to beat on the BBQ or in the smoker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
walleye,no question

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
1. walleye
2. crappie perch bluegill

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

I would rate crappie as #1. These were caught two years ago by my son on our first trip with our new boat. Great day.
#2 would be flathead. That white, flaky meat is hard to beat.
I think I would rate a smallish cold water river smallmouth next. Any of those three work for me.

Indecision is the key to flexibility..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Walleye

Rainbow trout of at least a pound, but only from either of two lakes in BC. On second thought, I'll not name the lakes. The strain of fish in them produce heavy bodied trout with firm red meat.

Channel catfish
Crappie

Brook trout only if we heat the skillet before casting a fly, and pop them right in the skillet. They go soft fast but are superb if super fresh. I like to stop by a brookie lake for lunch when hunting my favorite moose area.

Doesn't seem fair to me to include sockeye and other salmon, though we catch them in freshwater.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Bluegill

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Arctic grayling is the best tasting in freshwater.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
1. Walleye
2. Yellow Perch
3. Channel Cat

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.