Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As a student of QuickLoad, I have run a lot of models that are proven at the range.

There are some cartridges that work well with varying barrel lengths, powders, bullet design and weights.

These are usually mid sized cases for the bore diameter, 300 Win Mag being an exception.

What I'm looking for is peak chamber pressure coincides with the powder going from progressive to digressive burn, 95%+ case fill, on a barrel time for barrel length and a low muzzle pressure, with many different combinations of powder , bullet etc. 308 Win, mid sized 6.5mm cases, 6 BR based cases are some.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
I think that would have been counter productive to one design goal of the Creedmoor which was to allow for long ogive VLD style bullets to be seated so they fit in a 2.8" magazine without their ogives getting down into the case mouth.

No, the long bullet could still be seated the same and short bullets could be seated out near the lands (which is probably not that important either). Like I said, I just like longer necks. GD

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by greydog
I think that would have been counter productive to one design goal of the Creedmoor which was to allow for long ogive VLD style bullets to be seated so they fit in a 2.8" magazine without their ogives getting down into the case mouth.

No, the long bullet could still be seated the same and short bullets could be seated out near the lands (which is probably not that important either). Like I said, I just like longer necks. GD

You said 308 length brass, so that's the same as the 260 which had the ogive in the neck problem. Pushing the shoulder back to lengthen the neck doesn't fix the problem of the case mouth being too far forward on the bullet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by JGRaider
After JB repeatedly over the years harped about wind flags, I am but a recent convert and proponent. Boy was he spot on the money. Small, variable wind issues show up big time when using them. It's really eye opening to say the least.

Didn't know the wind blew in Lubbock!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by JGRaider
After JB repeatedly over the years harped about wind flags, I am but a recent convert and proponent. Boy was he spot on the money. Small, variable wind issues show up big time when using them. It's really eye opening to say the least.

Didn't know the wind blew in Lubbock!

"not too grumpy"
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Butch, many years ago I , while in the Air Force, I traveled a lot from Base to Base in West Texas. I always marveled when passing thru West Texas that in Lubbock the ditches were always filled with sand, just like a snow drift. Of course I was stationed in Roswell & we had plenty of dust storms there, as well. I miss the SW, but not the dust storms.

"not too grumpy"
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by greydog

You said 308 length brass, so that's the same as the 260 which had the ogive in the neck problem. Pushing the shoulder back to lengthen the neck doesn't fix the problem of the case mouth being too far forward on the bullet.

I thought the problem was one of having the bullet below the juncture of neck and shoulder and not one of wanting to have the shank of the bullet 1/10 in ch ahead of the case mouth. In the end, I don't really care; I just like longer necks! GD

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It was the mouth end, but I certainly agree having the bullet heel above the shoulder/neck junction is nice too. I had a heck of a time with a batch of WW 7mm08 brass that made more donuts than Dunkin.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
What are you using for wind flags?

Cottonwood fuzz. At a local range the cottonwood trees were spawning and the air was filled with their fuzzy cotton.
It was on of those rare days that you could not feel a breeze. But when looking down range there was fuzz floating left, there was fuzz floating right, there was fuzz rising and there was fuzz sinking. All this in 100 yards and yet you could not perceive it.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had two rifles that shot WAY better than anything else I"ve ever owned or shot, a 6mmBR and a ,221 Fireball. Both cases are short, and have relatively long necks. I still have the Fireball, it will be buried with me, I suspect. I really like both cartridges, but I've had excellent killing success with both the .25/06 and .270 Winchester, too, long cases with moderately long necks. This tells me that the main factor in my shooting is me, no real surprise.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
Butch, many years ago I , while in the Air Force, I traveled a lot from Base to Base in West Texas. I always marveled when passing thru West Texas that in Lubbock the ditches were always filled with sand, just like a snow drift. Of course I was stationed in Roswell & we had plenty of dust storms there, as well. I miss the SW, but not the dust storms.

Just giving the young man a hard time. I have a son,and daughter in law, nieces, and nephews that went to Tech. Dad was a Reese AFB and Sheppard, and Dyess in that area. I've shot BR in Lubbock and Midland. and you better damn well have good windflags.
Never was in Roswell. A military dependents life is a very great and valuable experience.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 04/01/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this has been great, and every time i hear a conversation like this i marvel at all the variables at every part of the process. in many of the things we do for fun there is equipment and there is skill. the biggest variable is the operator.

i'm mostly your basic hunter. for most of my uses, minute differences in accuracy don't matter. still, at the range i try to develop good loads.

the problem i have in trying to do what you do so well is that i lack patience. it's just the way i am and i've learned that no amount of gunsmithing or rifle and cartridge design can overcome it.

i love reading this stuff and i salute you who can make those tiny groups!

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The newest 1000 yard ten shot group is just over 2.6 inches for ten shots all x’s. 300 women. Short and fat round. Maybe something to that theory? The guy is 83 years old.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
From reports, he did a great job of tuning his rifles as well. He said the rifle shoots 5 shots into high .1's and low .2's at 100 yds. I have a 17 pound 308 which will do that but to have a magnum, shooting 220's, do that well is really something. excellent performance for sure. GD

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Look online for an article written by Mule Deer entitled "The 308 is Great". He addresses the concept of inherent accuracy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
What makes a rifle cartridge “inherently accurate”? I often see this phrase in the literature, but in the same piece there is never a discussion as to what attributes actually make a rifle cartridge inherently accurate.

Do the following generalities make a cartridge inherently accurate? I am not advocating any of these as gospel, rather want to see what others have to say about this. Neither is this meant to be a cartridge superiority pi$$ing contest!

1.) Given the same case volume, a shorter cartridge is more accurate due to more consistent powder ignition. TRUE or FALSE?
2.) On rimless cases, a sharp shoulder angle gives better headspace uniformity when the charge is ignited. TRUE or FALSE?
3.) A longer case neck results in more constant bullet seating tension. TRUE or FALSE?
4.) Others?

Is “inherent accuracy” just marketing hype?

Ahhh shiiite….. after writing the above I found the following.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/the-worlds-most-accurate-cartridge/

I suppose if I look there are many discussions and/or published books on the subject….. just want to get other’s opinions.

Flame away.

Petzal left out some reasons for the 6mm PPC's accuracy:

1) Its 30-degree shoulder is pretty much accepted as the angle that results in the finest accuracy. Just about every "accuracy" cartridge since it appeared features a 30-degree shoulder. A few have slightly steeper shoulders, but I have been informed by the top guys at a couple of pressure laboratories that right around 30 degrees normally results in the most consistent pressures and hence velocities. Which is why, after considerable experimentation, Palmisano and Pendell chose 30 degrees.

2) Generally a shorter powder column does result in finer accuracy. The most accurate cartridges in just about any caliber are fatter and wider. One of the major bullet companies used to do all its accuracy testing (on an indoor range) with .30-caliber bullets with the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum, depending on the bullet weight. When the .300 WSM appeared they found it shot just as well, and often better, with the same range of bullets.

3) Neck length has something to do with accuracy--but not so much consistent bullet seating tension, which is mostly a matter of consistent neck thickness. But the present trend is toward seating bullets so they don't encounter the potential "donut" (thicker brass) at the neck-shoulder junction. The 6mm PPC avoids this easily, due to using lighter, shorter bullets--but some newer accuracy cartridges (such as David Tubb's 6XC) are designed to avoid it even with very long, heavy, high-BC bullets.

4) Some cartridges that don't follow all these "rules" also shoot very well in many rifles, perhaps due to some happy accident. Among them are the .308 Winchester--and the 9.3x62 Mauser, as luv2safari mentioned, which was designed around 1905.

In fact, the 9.3x62 has a relatively long body, almost no shoulder, and a standard chamber throat that's very long and TAPERED--common back when it was introduced, to accommodate bullets or widely differing weights and lengths. All modern "accuracy" throats are parallel-sided. Yet it's rare to find either an old or new 9,3x62 that doesn't group three shots into less than an inch with almost any ammo, whether factory or handloads. That won't win any benchrest matches, but it's plenty accurate for a "medium bore" big game round!

And if the cartridge in question happens to be in .224, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, .30, or .338 caliber, which have a wider selection of bullets and precision "match" bullets available.

Ted
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.