-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I see the Royal Australian Air Force is 100 years old on March 31st. So Happy Birthday!
Have any of our Australian CampFire members served in it?
Got any funny or good stories to tell?
Even if I'm not Australian, thanks for serving.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As a teenage cadet in the Air Training Corps (much like the JROTC as I understand it, and part of the RAAF) I was on parade at RAAF Richmond for the 60th anniversary celebration. It was a big turnout. Standing to attention on the tarmac for the formalities saw several cadets drop - they stay at attention all the way down, like a tree falling.

AirTC was a lot of fun. We would do range practice and field training like army cadets, but also had flights in various aircraft, and the opportunity to do flying training.

Out of my mates in cadets one went on to flight school in the RAAF. He did well in officer training, and qualified for jets, but realised that he actually didn't like flying all that much. A second joined the Army, and last I heard he was a colonel. Another did a 6 year stint in the army and then went home to Switzerland, where he was required to do National Service in their army. I had a few years in the army as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy Birthday to the RAAF!

Oh, to wind back time. There were never any service exchange tours for the EA-6B since only the US flew them but with the RAAF getting F/A-18Gs I'm sure there's a program now. My general aviation flight instructor was retired USMC A-4 and Harrier guy and did an Exchange tour with the RAN flying A-4's off of HMS Melbourne. He wonders why he came home sometimes!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Happy Centennial Anniversary to the RAAF...Last I heard from my best friend when I lived in England, who was Australian, which was 50 years or so ago...He had joined the RAAF, and was Bound for flight training...We both had wanted to grow up and be pilots, and had a real love of airplanes...

Sadly we lost touch....in our college years... My eyesight kept me from being able to become a pilot, so I decided to not take the appointment Ito the Air Force Academy, the summer after I graduated High School...

John Hobart, where ever you are, I hope that your child hood dreams came true and you got to get your wings and serve your country...

r

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pugs
Happy Birthday to the RAAF!

Oh, to wind back time. There were never any service exchange tours for the EA-6B since only the US flew them but with the RAAF getting F/A-18Gs I'm sure there's a program now. My general aviation flight instructor was retired USMC A-4 and Harrier guy and did an Exchange tour with the RAN flying A-4's off of HMS Melbourne. He wonders why he came home sometimes!

The Aussies indeed do service exchange, one of the pilots was in my running group when I lived on Whidbey. You know there's Aussies in your town when you can find Vegemite in the grocery store! laugh Happy BD RAAF!

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by dan_oz
As a teenage cadet in the Air Training Corps (much like the JROTC as I understand it, and part of the RAAF) I was on parade at RAAF Richmond for the 60th anniversary celebration. It was a big turnout. Standing to attention on the tarmac for the formalities saw several cadets drop - they stay at attention all the way down, like a tree falling.

AirTC was a lot of fun. We would do range practice and field training like army cadets, but also had flights in various aircraft, and the opportunity to do flying training.

Out of my mates in cadets one went on to flight school in the RAAF. He did well in officer training, and qualified for jets, but realised that he actually didn't like flying all that much. A second joined the Army, and last I heard he was a colonel. Another did a 6 year stint in the army and then went home to Switzerland, where he was required to do National Service in their army. I had a few years in the army as well.

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by dan_oz

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yep, those that stand with their knees fully locked are likely to pass out & go right down, without warning !!!!!

"not too grumpy"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.