Campfire Tracker
H
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And he went into the water, killed it, or not, but into the water and carried it up onto the land?

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It was the last one he retrieved. Obviously, that one was too big for him to ‘kill’, but it wasn’t for lack of trying. First we knew of it was the dog on back of the beaver, in about 2.5-3’ of water, biting it all over the head.....beaver finally spun out from under the dog, made a run back towards the lodge, and son (in pic) shot it when it went by. You can see the water got shallow quick there, and I think it just had one run/ditch to work with, or it was out of its element. Dog drug it out and up there by me. He killed small beavers, but that’s probably the biggest beaver I’ve ever personally seen.....and yeah, the big ones are bad news, but the dog didn’t know/care.

Not sure if you can see, but there’s a vertical scar on his snout, where a ground hog got a claw clean through his upper lip, while he was nose on to it in a burrow. He racked up some stitches on that one.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/30/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bad ass...

Last edited by battue; 03/30/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by battue
Like Wilks mentioned...

Most of the breeds mentioned are likely to come out on the short end if a kicking Beaver gets a chance to grab on....no place for a Springer, AWS or Boykin, And a waterlogged Beaver will test the retrieving weight limit of all three. It may take a Kangal...

I'm with Battue...Use enough dog. I would not send any of my springers to retrieve a beaver and an AWS or Boykin isn't any bigger/tougher. I'd vote chessy or a lab. Years ago I had a chocolate that didn't care if something had feathers or fur. If I shot it, she was going to get it. Took an incidental deer while duck hunting one day. While it wasn't my intent to use the dog, she ran into the brush and held onto it for a close finishing shot. Wouldn't chase fur unless the gun went off.

ETA- There's some posts somewhere about a guy hunting seals for tablefare. I think it was Norway. Anyhow he snipes seals from the beach and uses a lab to retrieve them. Said that you couldn't send the dog until they were dead or they'd kill the dog.

Last edited by Hal4son; 03/31/21.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^

Sure. None of my current labs are the game-aggressive bruiser that that dog was. He was 95# of solid athlete, and was 11 or 12 years old in that last picture....too old for that crap, and why we raced to try to kill that beaver as soon as they’d separate enough for safety. My current dogs are in the 65-75# class, and while plenty athletic, they’ve not shown that ‘killer’ gene, outside a gopher rat. LOL I’m sure they’d retrieve fur, but it would 100% need to be stone dead. You’d need a dog that could handle things whenever Murphy showed/plans went bad....and that’s a bigger dog, period. That dog was an outlier for what I’m used to with waterfowl dogs, and none of it was something I had anything to do with....it was just his natural nature.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find an old line of big Wirehaired Pointing Griffons. The original breed was designed perfectly for your purposes, and they are great upland gundogs as a bonus.

What abbydog said!

"Wire haired pointing Griffon, the 4x4 of hunting dogs"

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/01/21.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.