Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
SDM Fabricating, who has also built guns for Clint Smith and others, did this one for me.

It started as an 8 & 3/8ths 29-2.

Shown here hunting saber toothed squirrels on the famed Pahsimeroi that Elmer Keith also loved to hunt on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The reason for using that length is to have the barrel markings in the proper place once the barrel is cut to 5"s.

SDM cut the barrel to 5"s put a Classic DX interchangeable sight system on it. They narrowed and smoothed the target trigger and polished it. The action is slick. Needless to say, this is one of those all time favorite revolvers and it was well worth the cost. If I could only own one iron sighted .44 this one would be it.

Mac, that picture of Keith was first published in his Gun Notes column in Guns and Ammo and accompanied his rundown on the then-new Ruger Redhawk. I remember him shooting those Jacks.

That hill behind him in the pic is right at a place called Horse Heaven Pass. It is not far (relatively speaking in big country) from my cabin. I have driven past it many, many times. When Bob (RJM 52) came to visit I specifically stopped there to do some long range revolver shooting. We were on a trek about the area and that seemed like a very appropriate place to shoot .41s and .44s.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mine is a 414 super mag, Dan Wesson, Seville or custom... I dont care,I just want one

Last edited by blazenet; 03/31/21.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's some DA grail guns that have come into my care over the last couple of years.

631 32 H&R
38-44 Outdoorsman
Mountain Gun 41 magnum
Mountain Gun 45 ACP
22/32 22LR

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s a great looking 38/44 Mart, I have a real soft spot for them with the Outdoorsman being my favorite. Someday I’d like a McGivern Outdoorsman with the 5” barrel. Can’t remember how many were made but it wasn’t a bunch. That with an original S&W grip adapter would be a wonderful gun for kicking around in the weeds. The 6.5” are pretty good as it is, carried mine yesterday evening out fishing just in case I needed to ventilate a hog or coyote.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. I just picked it up at a recent gun show. Working on loads for it right now.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
SDM Fabricating, who has also built guns for Clint Smith and others, did this one for me.

It started as an 8 & 3/8ths 29-2.

Shown here hunting saber toothed squirrels on the famed Pahsimeroi that Elmer Keith also loved to hunt on.

The reason for using that length is to have the barrel markings in the proper place once the barrel is cut to 5"s.

SDM cut the barrel to 5"s put a Classic DX interchangeable sight system on it. They narrowed and smoothed the target trigger and polished it. The action is slick. Needless to say, this is one of those all time favorite revolvers and it was well worth the cost. If I could only own one iron sighted .44 this one would be it.

Mac, that picture of Keith was first published in his Gun Notes column in Guns and Ammo and accompanied his rundown on the then-new Ruger Redhawk. I remember him shooting those Jacks.

That hill behind him in the pic is right at a place called Horse Heaven Pass. It is not far (relatively speaking in big country) from my cabin. I have driven past it many, many times. When Bob (RJM 52) came to visit I specifically stopped there to do some long range revolver shooting. We were on a trek about the area and that seemed like a very appropriate place to shoot .41s and .44s.

Have not acquired that thumb position, yet.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For me it’d be a S&W 646, minty and affordable. smile

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably a silly grail gun and I didn't start out to get all three of the Powermag chamberings. I wanted a 401 Powermag since I was kid reading, no memorizing, the annual Herters catalog. I got the 401 and just a few days later a Powermag in 44 Magnum came my way. I now had two of the three chamberings so had to get the 357 to round out the set.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by cra1948
A Registered Magnum of any length would be nice too.

Holy Sh.... WHAT a gun! Would you like to give us history buffs some more details? I only know these guns from the internet and from Tim Mullins books. Is yours a RegMag or Non-RegMag. Did you have it lettered?

It has been lettered. It was made in 1940 and is a non-registered magnum with factory hump-back hammer and factory-installed King sights. Barrel is 6.5". Stocks are Roper copies by Keith Brown. It shoots 125 grain hollowpoints into one ragged hole at 25 yards. I like it.
Bob

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The .41 Mountain gun is high on my short list.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
RGK, that Smith is absolutely beautiful. You have some very fine handguns, that is the one I covet the most. A grail gun for sure.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Mart some beautiful guns there...

Molon Labe
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SS336
RGK, that Smith is absolutely beautiful. You have some very fine handguns, that is the one I covet the most. A grail gun for sure.

Thanks! I stumbled into this one in a gunshop in So Cal...it was mis-marked "pre-27". Price was $900.00, with my police discount and no tax. I grabbed it as fast as I could get my credit card out. It was refinished years ago at the factory and a beautiful job they did. Markings are sharp and flawless. Keith Brown did the stocks. Bore and chambers are mint. It's a nice gun.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 04/02/21.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought this one from the man himself after a tour of his shop and a lengthy discussion of what his plans were for the future... This was in 1994.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Thank you sir. The 631 is the most recent. Ed posted his so many times it finally put me over the edge. A local guy had two of them NIB. Now he only has one. And a lot of my money.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Freedom Arms Model 97 in..32 H&R with 5-1/2 inch barrel and the rounded butt treatment. I really like FA 97s and have a .41 Magnum and a .357 Magnum, so this would round out the family for me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
3.5" registered magnum in nickle would be mine. i had to settle for a 3.5" 27-2 in blue. champagne tastes on a beer budget

My diploma is a DD214
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Thank you sir. The 631 is the most recent. Ed posted his so many times it finally put me over the edge. A local guy had two of them NIB. Now he only has one. And a lot of my money.

Glad to hear you picked on up. Killer little piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I sure like it. I tested a bunch of loads last week in my Ransom rest. Shoots fair. Throats are a smidge tight so I may have Doug Phillips open them a little.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by EdM
I bought this one from the man himself after a tour of his shop and a lengthy discussion of what his plans were for the future... This was in 1994.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Ed,
I’ve got some late 90’s issues of Handloader with TLA ads in them. I want to think they were about $1500 back then. I was just out of college and broke, but it makes my little heart flutter every time you post that pic.
I guess a TLA in .45 Colt would be my grail gun, but they’re probably more than $1500 now.....

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.