Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
anyone used them? likes/DIslikes?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've had two pairs that failed (ripped) at the seams in a single, week-long hunt.

I much prefer OR Crocs...HD preferably but the "standard" version work well too.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
100% dislike, for the same reasons as Dave. The seams came apart with next to no use: just like their Mountain Extreme and Hardscrabble boots.

Flame away, Kennetrek fans. I am unashamed.

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/02/21. Reason: updated the models

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mine tore first week of use. Are any others quiet and durable? Thanks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a pair that came with boots I bought Lasted two seasons.

Gaiters =Crocs

Lefty

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a pair this year for when we had to tap trees in 30+ inches of snow and they worked great for me. No brush or anything, just lots of snow. They kept my boots from getting snow in them and kept my jeans dry.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just finished the third season with mine and they're still going strong. They seem pretty durable to me. Don't know if it makes a difference, but mine are the softer material camo ones. My only knock on them is that they don't come large enough to fit over my pac boots.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 04/02/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a set I wear some and have had no trouble. They are probably four or five years old so maybe a better generation of them. It is hard to get them snapped and the Velcro on straight. Once on they seem to work great. I wonder about the KUIU model as they look similar.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OR crocs have worked great here.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Same as most, mine lasted less than a season. Have had good luck with crocs. Trying sea 2 summit quagmire next.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine have given me years of great service.

Because I liked their snow cammo I bought two pairs sis or seven seasons ago in case the first one did not last long.

So far the second pair has not seen the field.

I do not use them in thick brush, though,only in high mountain hunts above the tree line.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by chamois
Mine have given me years of great service.

Because I liked their snow cammo I bought two pairs sis or seven seasons ago in case the first one did not last long.

So far the second pair has not seen the field.

I do not use them in thick brush, though,only in high mountain hunts above the tree line.

I've never had problems with mine either, but they are older ones. Have been using them for at least 8 years now. I like them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a pair for 35 bucs from Kevins. the Outdoor reearch are a no go I hd to return a pair as theya re too small, even the XXL

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OR Crocs are OK, but the little velcro tab at the bottom towards the boot toe wears out quickly and becomes useless. The Sea To Summit Quagmire is a better gaiter design than the Croc IME and is what I replaced my Croc's with a couple years back.

No comment on Kennetrek, never used them. The Kuiu gaiters look excellent.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Brad
OR Crocs are OK, but the little velcro tab at the bottom towards the boot toe wears out quickly and becomes useless. The Sea To Summit Quagmire is a better gaiter design than the Croc IME and is what I replaced my Croc's with a couple years back.

No comment on Kennetrek, never used them. The Kuiu gaiters look excellent.

th issue has been circumfrance of the Gaiters for me. Kenetrek has the biggest diameter. my calf musces tape out at 21 inches without clothing. OR's circ. is 21 inch at the widest. Kenetrek is 23 at the calf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gitem, if you look into the other suggestions above and still have not made your mind up, two other brands I have found to be durable, but also adjustable enough to fit over packs and winter pant legs are the Markhor Aravis and Sleeping Indian wool.

You'll pay for the Sleeping Indian, and they're heavy wool, deep winter snow kind of gaiters, but they (at least mine) easily fit over packs, base layers and my Mackinaw wool bib pant legs. The Markhor are more of a general use gaiter and also fit over packs and heavy winter clothing. I have no idea what the circumference of my calves are (I am a T post kind of build, so take that into account) but they fit me just fine.

My only complaints are the cable heel strap on the Markhor gets little frays in it which can hurt if you don't handle it right. The boot strap on the Sleeping Indian is a bit odd too, in that it is supposed to wrap around your foot twice and is made from (I believe) cordura which can collect balled up ice. I end up just wrapping it twice around my ankle tightly instead of underneath the arch of my boots.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
gitem, if you look into the other suggestions above and still have not made your mind up, two other brands I have found to be durable, but also adjustable enough to fit over packs and winter pant legs are the Markhor Aravis and Sleeping Indian wool.

You'll pay for the Sleeping Indian, and they're heavy wool, deep winter snow kind of gaiters, but they (at least mine) easily fit over packs, base layers and my Mackinaw wool bib pant legs. The Markhor are more of a general use gaiter and also fit over packs and heavy winter clothing. I have no idea what the circumference of my calves are (I am a T post kind of build, so take that into account) but they fit me just fine.

My only complaints are the cable heel strap on the Markhor gets little frays in it which can hurt if you don't handle it right. The boot strap on the Sleeping Indian is a bit odd too, in that it is supposed to wrap around your foot twice and is made from (I believe) cordura which can collect balled up ice. I end up just wrapping it twice around my ankle tightly instead of underneath the arch of my boots.

i bought the kenetreks on sale for 35 bucks il try them out. if they don't work I may look at the Markhors. thanks

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like mine. I have had them about 7 years. No problems. I like them especially because they are big enough to go over my knee brace.

My oldest boy has a set too. He has had them about 5 years. No problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried the Camo Kenetreks for deer hunting here in S Oregon.
I wanted something that would deflect the little cockle burrs - or whatever they’re called from getting all over my socks, boot laces and pants...
They failed miserably. The gaiters collected a lot of seeds that had to be removed by hand. You couldn’t just brush them off.

I found gaiters called Rattlers, that are intended to be for snake defense. They have a harder surface area that does not allow the burrs to stick - very few anyway, and those can just be brushed off with a leather gloved hand.
It’s a real win to be able to spend a day wading through those burrs without ruining my clothes.
There’s the added good vibes while walking out of the woods after dark when the snakes are their most active and not having too be concerned about it.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Kennetreks and mine are prob 5 years old. I wear them starting in Oct ending in early Jan and havent had issues with them.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two sets of them. No issues but I am not rough on things. Not much walking on rock. My camo colored set is made of a softer material and does pick up burs and greenbriars. My solid color does pick up burs and snag briars but is noisier. Mine are five years old so not sure if they have changed them or not. Seems like they switched from a replaceable foot strap to one that is sewn on. i haven't been able to wear out a foot strap yet but not walking on rock.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.