Print Thread
Hop To
M
mar Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’m thinking about getting a 4 door truck and am looking for recommendations. I currently have a 1994 Ford F-150 regular cab and have no complaints. The reason that I am looking for a 4 door truck is because I can’t haul the family when we go fishing and other outdoor activities. I want a used truck in the $10-15,000 range. I’ve been looking at 1st generation Toyota Tundras. I thought about a Tacoma but they seem too small. I’m 6’1” and my kids are going to be tall. I like the looks of Chevy silverados as well. I want something that could pull a trailer with a small boat or 2 four wheelers. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Marshall

GB2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my 1st gen Tundra V-8 4X4. Quiet, smooth ride; excellent handling, very powerful; quality build; but poor fuel economy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Near any full size half ton will do what you are looking for as far as fitting the family and pulling a smaller trailer. Is your '94 a daily driver or something that you use just on your outings? Most used lots have nothing but 4 door half ton trucks around here, so finding one shouldn't be too difficult. For mileage, I'd say a GMC or Chev with the 5.3 would be good in that price range. A small turbo like the 2.7 Ford would do better for mileage, but if you keep them forever like I do, I would stay with a medium size V8 for longevity. Toyota Tundra for longevity, but they cost more and are not as fuel efficient. Friends who have them all complain about the gas mileage. I'd be looking at sites like Auto Trader for a good idea of what is around in your price range. Ideally you could find a private seller with a low mileage, garaged, older trip truck that has depreciated because of it's age instead of it's condition.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
With kids I’d pass on a first gen Tundra. They have very limited rear seat room. When my kids were school age I had to sell mine and get a gen 2 crew max. Other than poor mpg it was perfect for a outdoor-oriented family of 4 or 5. Do you need a pickup or would something like a 4Runner work?

M
mar Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Windfall and sigguy,
My 94 Ford is driven weekly but not my primary vehicle. I mostly drive a Chevy equinox but the kids are getting bigger and we are kinda outgrowing it. My wife wants something that has the captains chairs in the second row so we thought possibly a used Chevy traverse which is definitely bigger and be the family vehicle. I kinda wanted to get an older 4 door truck for more outdoor activities. Wouldn’t mind taken it on dirt or gravel roads, going fishing, hunting, etc. things that I might not want to do with a nicer family vehicle. My Ford is great it’s just I can’t take the whole family. My wife says just get the SUV and use it for everything. She’s probably right. Sigguy, I would have thought the first gen tundras would have been big enough....not to take long trips, but just outdoor activities. I have to admit I’ve never been in one just looked in the window on some. Thanks for the comments thus far.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd probably go with an Expedition. The newer ones drive easily and have a ton of power, but are still reasonable on fuel. We had a Buick Enclave some years back and the highway MPGs weren't much better than the newer Expeditions or Tahoes, and it was marginal at best towing a small ski boat.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ram 3/4 ton longbed, with Cummins Diesel engine. Many of those have rolled 1,000,000 miles on original engine. A gasser usually is done 200,000 miles or so

Smith and Wessons are Thoroughbreds; Rugers are Clydesdales —John Taffin
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Kid was in the exact same situation, he ended up with an older suburban. Worked out perfectly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are probably gonna have a hard time finding something clean at that price point. The used market is super hot right now. Good luck in your search.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My 1st gen crew cab Tundra carries adults in the back seats just fine. Access cab is a no go beyond kids and dogs.

Sure, a later gen crew cab Tundra has more back seat room, but I personally like the first gen. I sold my 2017 Tundra and bought another 2004, because of preferences...,,newer wasn’t ‘bad’ in any way, just thought the 1st gen was overall better, especially for the $.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
500 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.