Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, I bought a well used 22-250 - stock was rough, barrel was missing bluing, there was a tremendous up-pressure on the barrel.
The bore seemed good though. I stripped the stock and gave it many coats of boiled linseed oil - maybe 50 or more.
I took out the upward pressure on the barrel - free floated it and re-blued the barrel, mounted an old ‘5 star’ 3x9x Redfield, put a Basix trigger on it (went from 5+lb to 1 1/2 lb). I didn’t glass bed it.

My first load was IMR4064 (1/2 grain below book) and a 53 gr hp bullet - bullet seated about a quarter turn from touching the lands.
The first group shot into 45 seconds of angle or about 3/4 MOA on a very windy day 5 shots at 100 meters

I’m thinking that’s mighty fine. This will be a PD rifle, therefore no increment weather and I like the look and feel of oiled walnut. I may play a little with 1/10 grain powder - ladder.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I personally wouldnt have started with refinishing the stock until I knew for sure it was a shooter. I would have glass bedded (1/2 hr job) it first and also freefloated the barrel, but thats mechanics. Start at the foundation, then shoot it, then pretty it up and put new trigger in, but only if it proves its a consistent good shooter. You lucked out, but it could have went the other way with wasted time/effort on a pile of crap. I also dont stop at 5 shots on a varmint rifle. I always test them with 10 shot groups. If you are shooting sub moa for 10, thats where I stop and call it a day.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the Fire.
You should know you're not doing it right!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're happy with it, stop. H4895 or especially RL15 should give you more speed & possibly better accuracy with 50-53s. Seating depth may shrink groups too unless you got lucky 1st try.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I sure would try H4895, before I loaded up a bunch for prairie dogs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No flies on IMR-4064 in the 22-250.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For small groups, try H 322 and Benchmark, 30 grains with H 322, and 33.5 with Benchmark...

This coming from a 4064 for every thing, kind of guy.... this turned one of my 22.250s from crap t a real tight group shooting rifle...

Not max velocity but not that far behind....

regular large rifle primer... doesn't matter as long it is a name brand product...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I say you were done burn the barrel off on dogs instead of groups. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I personally wouldnt have started with refinishing the stock until I knew for sure it was a shooter. I would have glass bedded (1/2 hr job) it first and also freefloated the barrel, but thats mechanics. Start at the foundation, then shoot it, then pretty it up and put new trigger in, but only if it proves its a consistent good shooter. You lucked out, but it could have went the other way with wasted time/effort on a pile of crap. I also dont stop at 5 shots on a varmint rifle. I always test them with 10 shot groups. If you are shooting sub moa for 10, thats where I stop and call it a day.

The stock had to be refinished! I shot two groups - similar size.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/03/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shucks. I only had one lb of IMR4064 on hand. A friend bought a lb from a widow and I bought that from him. When I poured the powder into the measure a cloud of dust rose. The same throw of powder went from 35 gr to 32 grains. I threw that powder away without further ado. Buying more IMR4064 right now, not likely very easily done.

I have the 4895's, Re15, & H322 on hand besides some other powders in that burn range. Back to the shooting range for more testing. I want to stay away from powders that I've had troubles with when the temperatures got high. Last year we were shooting dogs in well over 100 degrees heat.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
REAL Rifle Loonies never quit!

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Given the temperatures you mention. I would work with H4895 of the powders you listed. Use a lot of it in .308 Palma loads here in Phoenix during the summer months.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given you got 3/4 just floating it out of the forend, I'd glassbed and pillar it before finishing a load workup. Might be a pet in the making.

Were mine, I would have cleaned it, shot a couple groups as a baseline, then floated it with shim stock, couple more groups, and if those improved a lot from baseline, gone ahead and bedded the action "properly" which for me includes pillars with the Acraglass. Couple more groups, then I'd go after the stock so it doesn't hurt to hold or look at.

But sounds like you might have a keeper.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
This is the Fire.
You should know you're not doing it right!

Laughin'
I learned my lesson.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.