Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
For the first time in 80 years, the number of Americans with dedicated church attendance has fallen below 50%. According to a Gallup poll released Monday, only 47% of those polled confirmed that they are members of a religious body. This is quite a decline from previous years of polling, which saw the number hover around the 70% mark for several decades. Unsurprisingly, the downward trend began around the dawn of the new century.

In the past few years especially, the secular religion of politics has become an obsession. On the Left and Right, adherence to a political philosophy can overshadow, or at the very least compete with, all other long-held beliefs. While the shift didn't suddenly begin in 2008, it was certainly pushed further along by Barack Obama's presidency. In response to his eight years in office, the Right searched for an answer that would stem the tide of progressivism. President Donald Trump created his own revival among the GOP faithful. Many religious conservatives even found a deep connection between his election victory and the idea that God would save the nation through him. But political allegiance isn't the same as spiritual, no matter how closely they resemble one another.

Americans seem to be finding a religious-type fervor in things outside the walls of the church, political or otherwise. Added into the mix is a pandemic that has discouraged attendance, and churches are emptier than ever. The global health crisis upended life as usual, and even committed attendees had to change their habits for safety reasons. At the start of the pandemic, nearly every church in America shut its doors to in-person services. By the end of last year, roughly 80% had opened back up for these regular services. But attendance is still incredibly low compared to pre-pandemic levels.

According to the Pew Research Center, the percentage of Americans who consider themselves to be nonreligious or unaffiliated is now at 29%. This has been a somewhat rapid rise from the 17% who said the same in 2009. As those who identify as Protestant or Catholic decrease, the so-called nones, as Pew describes them, have risen.

Eviction moratorium is unconstitutional, federal judge rules
This shift toward a less religious American landscape is a loss for society. Beyond the chief reason for church, communing with God, and meeting with those of like-mind, church attendance brings other benefits. Religious communities are important players in cities and towns. A 2019 study by Pew shows that those who attend and are actively involved in church tend to self-describe as happier and more civically involved than their counterparts. It's not a mystery as to why this is the case. Connecting with others who share similar beliefs in a regular setting brings a strong sense of belonging. The camaraderie is unlike anything else found in other community organizations.

Our national discourse is fraught with anger and tension. There has been great struggle, sacrifice, and sadness over the past year. There is uncertainty surrounding both economic and public health. With challenges still remaining, there is no better time to seek spiritual guidance and hope at places that foster relationships and fellowship.

Kimberly Ross (@SouthernKeeks) is a contributor to the Washington Examiner's Beltway Confidential blog and a columnist at Arc Digital.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most westerners from boomers on, are their own gods.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
True Christianity always unites.

Politics always divides.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It like mean nothing more that those who attended for social or family reasons alone leaving.

Another reason could the abandonment of true Orthodoxy by most congregations and denominations. People who want genuine faith becoming tired of a hollow and or entertainment drive social club.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Indy, if you guys and gals had your way you'd ban every Bible preaching Church on earth.

Our Church will be open to face to face preaching Sunday..

Jesus said,
"The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil."

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 04/02/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think maybe Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchins mighta had something to do with it too. Especially with college age folks.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fewer children will be molested by clergy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
It means the Leftists, MSM, DNC, Satan, Commies and CCP are winning. Congratulations.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Setting up the time of the persecution of Christians.

LOL
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by kingston

+1. I was raised a Catholic and the Church's dealings have sickened me. So I go this way
Matthew 18:20 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
I don't really need organized religion. If you live a good, moral life, you'll end up where you're supposed to.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As was said in a post the other day most of Western philosophy, morality, and society are rooted in a faith in god. Our founders said as much. There are exceptions but as a whole whiteout a deep rooted faith in god based in Christian teachings why would anyone believe in individual liberty, capitalism, honesty, property rights, nuclear families or anything else enshrined in Western culture. There’s a reason that virtually every communist country is atheist.

Without a God and Christian faith we might just as well all take what we can get however we can get it like the Chinese or antifa.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker

+1. I was raised a Catholic and the Church's dealings have sickened me. So I go this way
Matthew 18:20 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
I don't really need organized religion. If you live a good, moral life, you'll end up where you're supposed to.

I was raised Roman Catholic too.
Their church lost a lot of credibility when they moved those priests to other churches to continue their crimes, didn't they?

The awesome words the Lord spoke that you quoted are true.
As perfect words as those are, He wasn't speaking about where a man goes at death in Matthew 18:20.
He does meet by means of His Spirit with groups of believers in prayer for sure. The video might explain.
Feel free to ask if you disagree or whatever reason.
Hope this is a blessing.
https://youtu.be/pO1O93PLNrA

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 04/02/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
As was said in a post the other day most of Western philosophy, morality, and society are rooted in a faith in god. Our founders said as much. There are exceptions but as a whole whiteout a deep rooted faith in god based in Christian teachings why would anyone believe in individual liberty, capitalism, honesty, property rights, nuclear families or anything else enshrined in Western culture. There’s a reason that virtually every communist country is atheist.

Without a God and Christian faith we might just as well all take what we can get however we can get it like the Chinese or antifa.

👍

Romans 5:1
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
2 Thessalonians 2
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I was raised Roman Catholic too.
Their church lost a lot of credibility when they moved those priests to other churches to continue their crimes, didn't they?

The awesome words the Lord spoke that you quoted are true.
As perfect words as those are, He wasn't speaking about where a man goes at death in Matthew 18:20.
He does meet by means of His Spirit with groups of believers in prayer for sure. The video might explain.
Feel free to ask if you disagree or whatever reason.
Hope this is a blessing.

Maybe this speaker can show from God's Word when Jesus changed His mind. Jesus clearly stated in Mark 16:16,
The one who believes and is baptized will be saved. The first sermon by an apostle told people to repent and be baptized. So it must have been after that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ringman are you referring to Acts 2:38?

Romans 5:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The year 2020 was a big hit on church attendance due to the Chicom Flu. Let's look at it again at the end of 2021

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kingston

That’s definitely taking Matthew out of context if you’ve come to that conclusion. Jesus made clear the path to the father and it isn’t by good works. Happy Easter and best wishes from a forgiven sinner. WMR

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Less folks in church, fewer hypocrites.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.