Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Heard this on the radio the other day and for some reason Roger came first to mind. whistle

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think Jose gives a tinker's damn about any border, so crossing it'll do no one any good. I'll betcha Roger would agree.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That would be the norm now for sure.

perhaps one would have been a bit safer when the song was first released.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
ha, remember when he was screwing Joaquin Jackson's's wife.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Johnny was big in the 1970's. I don't know when he did his last concert or album. I always liked his music. He came from close to the border in southwest Texas as I recall. He was discovered by a Texas State Trooper who heard him singing in a jail cell after he was arrested for stealing someone's goat, butchering it and cooking it at at an outdoor party.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter

No shit? LOL.

I hit the drive of my life on one of the short par-4 holes on the Alpine golf course back in the late 80s, and Joaquin Jackson was on the green forking around with his buddies putting over and over again. I hit the sumbitch with my drive. It was a thing of beauty.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kwg020
Johnny was big in the 1970's. I don't know when he did his last concert or album. I always liked his music. He came from close to the border in southwest Texas as I recall. He was discovered by a Texas State Trooper who heard him singing in a jail cell after he was arrested for stealing someone's goat, butchering it and cooking it at at an outdoor party.

kwg
Joaquin Jackson who became a well known Texas Ranger.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider

No shit? LOL.

I hit the drive of my life on one of the short par-4 holes on the Alpine golf course back in the late 80s, and Joaquin Jackson was on the green forking around with his buddies putting over and over again. I hit the sumbitch with my drive. It was a thing of beauty.

My uncle worked with him a lot when he was in the FBI, my dad knew from when he was a trooper.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

No shit? LOL.

Barry knows a lot about that affair.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No shit? LOL.

Don't tell me Barry was there on the green.

Oh wait...you mean when Johnny was diddling the man's wife. Or do you? LOL.

Don't be the darkness.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

No shit? LOL.

Back when he was a LEO

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I knew that would bring out some good TX stories!

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

No shit? LOL.

lol, that would be something to see.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No shit? LOL.

LOL!

Nah, I don't play much golf. wink

Yeah, I knew Joaquin fairly well. Johnny R too.

Johnny Rodriguez was arrested for goat stealing... True story.

The Paul Harvey version is a bit more interesting...

Johnny R stole the goat from Happy Shahan. Happy owned the ranch where John Wayne built the town and Alamo replica for his movie, The Alamo.

After the movie left, Happy opened the movie site up to the public, and named it Alamo Village. They put on gunfight skits, and offered a saloon environment where they played live music and events...

SO.... Happy told Johnny R he would not press charges on him for stealing the goat if he'd come to work for him at Alamo Village... Singing, playing the guitar, and doing the western gunfight skits.

Johnny R accepted the offer, rather than go to jail. And lucky he did, for he was discovered as a talent for C&W music, and gained his fame.

Another interesting fact about Johnny R~ He shot and killed a guy in 1998. He was acquitted of the murder charge after it went to trial.

UVALDE, Texas (AP) _ A jury acquitted country singer Johnny Rodriguez of murder Wednesday in the killing of an acquaintance he claimed was a burglar.

Jurors found Rodriguez innocent in the death of Israel ``Bosco″ Borrego, 26, who was shot once in the abdomen in 1998 at the Rodriguez family home in Sabinal.

Rodriguez’s lawyers had argued that he was justified under Texas law to defend himself and his property.

The 47-year-old singer, who could have faced life in prison, put his face in his hands when the verdict was announced.

``I’m just sorry that the whole incident took place,″ Rodriguez said. ``I don’t want to go through anything like this again.

Rodriguez is best known for his 1970s hits such as ``Pass Me By (If You’re Only Passing Through)″ and ``Ridin’ My Thumb to Mexico″ that soared into the Top 10 on the country charts. His career took a downturn by the 1990s, but he still plays concerts in South Texas.

Uvalde County District Attorney Tony Hackebeil argued Rodriguez was drunk and used a pistol to kill Borrego _ described as a regular drinking buddy _ as Borrego cooked in Rodriguez’s kitchen.

``How hard is it to conclude that he decided, `I’m going to get rid of this pest once and for all?‴ the prosecutor said.

Defense attorneys argued Rodriguez believed Borrego was a burglar.

``He doesn’t go hunting this guy,″ said lawyer Alan Brown. ``This guy pops up, bump in the night, right in his house.″

https://apnews.com/article/b945a245422e4e49b6987860737631e8

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

No shit? LOL.

LOL!

Nah, I don't play much golf. wink

Yeah, I knew Joaquin fairly well. Johnny R too.

Johnny Rodriguez was arrested for goat stealing... True story.

The Paul Harvey version is a bit more interesting...

Johnny R stole the goat from Happy Shahan. Happy owned the ranch where John Wayne built the town and Alamo replica for his movie, The Alamo.

After the movie left, Happy opened the movie site up to the public, and named it Alamo Village. They put on gunfight skits, and offered a saloon environment where they played live music and events...

SO.... Happy told Johnny R he would not press charges on him for stealing the goat if he'd come to work for him at Alamo Village... Singing, playing the guitar, and doing the western gunfight skits.

Johnny R accepted the offer, rather than go to jail. And lucky he did, for he was discovered as a talent for C&W music, and gained his fame.

Another interesting fact about Johnny R~ He shot and killed a guy in 1998. He was acquitted of the murder charge after it went to trial.

UVALDE, Texas (AP) _ A jury acquitted country singer Johnny Rodriguez of murder Wednesday in the killing of an acquaintance he claimed was a burglar.

Jurors found Rodriguez innocent in the death of Israel ``Bosco″ Borrego, 26, who was shot once in the abdomen in 1998 at the Rodriguez family home in Sabinal.

Rodriguez’s lawyers had argued that he was justified under Texas law to defend himself and his property.

The 47-year-old singer, who could have faced life in prison, put his face in his hands when the verdict was announced.

``I’m just sorry that the whole incident took place,″ Rodriguez said. ``I don’t want to go through anything like this again.

Rodriguez is best known for his 1970s hits such as ``Pass Me By (If You’re Only Passing Through)″ and ``Ridin’ My Thumb to Mexico″ that soared into the Top 10 on the country charts. His career took a downturn by the 1990s, but he still plays concerts in South Texas.

Uvalde County District Attorney Tony Hackebeil argued Rodriguez was drunk and used a pistol to kill Borrego _ described as a regular drinking buddy _ as Borrego cooked in Rodriguez’s kitchen.

``How hard is it to conclude that he decided, `I’m going to get rid of this pest once and for all?‴ the prosecutor said.

Defense attorneys argued Rodriguez believed Borrego was a burglar.

``He doesn’t go hunting this guy,″ said lawyer Alan Brown. ``This guy pops up, bump in the night, right in his house.″

https://apnews.com/article/b945a245422e4e49b6987860737631e8

Thanks for that TX history lesson B,

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always liked his singing. David Alan Coe mentions him in Longhaired Redneck.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot all about that, but he sure did,

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Johnny Rodriguez has been on the family pool party music playlist for a long, long time. A fan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always liked Johnny Rodriquez’s Country Music. Saw him perform once locally in the 70’s. Great show!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wifey and I met him about three years ago at the Stagecoach Ballroom in Fort Worth. We were there to see Eddy Raven. Johnny showed up, sang a few songs with Eddy, came out in the crowd, sat at different tables, signed anything people had.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.