Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have one, and that bolt release didn’t work. The spring was worn and the bolt came out every time you worked it. It’s sort of like the old Browning but not quite. I couldn’t find a replacement and I couldn’t do anything to make it work. I finally hit upon the perfect solution, even if it is a bit inelegant.

I took a bolt release from a regular Mauser. Since there is no way to attach it to the action without welding, I attached it to the stock with a longer screw. It worked and looks like a regular Mauser. The only thing is that the spring pressure on the release would cause it to stick out on the front end of the release and that would sometimes make the bolt come out. The solution was that I took a very short screw with a large flat head and put it in the stock with enough overhang to hold the front of the release down and is fairly unobtrusive. I’m sure someone with some real smithing and welding skills could have made it look better, but it would not have worked better.

Last edited by JoeBob; 01/20/21.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This action adorns a '06 barrel at the moment but I have none in my collection and headed in a different direction, i always like 2 guns at least of the same caliber if i can, so no orphans when it come to brass and components, the only two orphans i have are a 300 win mag and 350 legend and both shoot factory ammo good enough to hunt, I luckily loaded up before the "run" so I am good for life on them two. I just flipped the switch a minute ago on 6.5 CM barrel for this and another project, so in a few months I will see what all the hype is about LOL if I don't like it i will part them out on eBay, seems to be popular now!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thats a nice looking rifle TeeBone

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Many thanks. It's a 338-06AI w/Shilen #3 24 in bbl. Now wears a Leupold 1.75-6x. Here's a better look....

Attached Images
Heym 33806_01.JPG (28.38 KB, 375 downloads)
Heym 33806_02.JPG (34.56 KB, 359 downloads)
Last edited by TeeBone; 01/20/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is a beauty and nice looking action. Makes me wish I had bought a bunch of the Herters when they were something like $75.00 apiece. The lightning bolt spacers turned me off even as a kid.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a Herter's J9 in 6mm Remington. It is an absolute tack-driver With every bullet I developed loads for - from the 65 gr V-Max to the 87 gr BTHP to the old Barnes 115 gr Original RN. That last one has brought home many a deer.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

George Leonard Herter lived on the southwest corner of Clear Lake here in Waseca. Very few photographs have ever been published of him, in fact the only two
I have ever seen are in his Find A Grave entry in the link below.

George L. Herter Find a grave entry.

The author of the New York Times article linked below is an obvious fan of George's writing style and perhaps a collection of well read and worn Herter's Catalogs reside in his library or on a night stand near his bed to provide comforting thoughts before dozing off or perhaps hoping for it to fertilize the subconscious mind in hopes of having an adventure during those moments when sleepy dreams take over for an alert state of mind. George may be gone, but, is there any doubt that his wordsmithing skills are unsurpassed?

The Oddball Know-It-All

Having run a barber shop in Waseca for many years and having observed the goings on within the area there is one thing that George accomplished that few people can lay claim to in their own lives. Like Ted Hustead of Wall Drug Store fame in Wall, South Dakota, George Leonard Herter made Waseca a destination for tourists from all over the world. It never fails to amaze me the number of out of town people that would stop at my barber shop and ask for directions to Herter's even though it had been bought out by a Chicago liquidator in the latter part of the 1980s. Most were middle aged men and older, some with children or grandchildren in tow wanting to be living those simpler times in life that has escaped almost all of us now, but, the longing still exists. Before they left to search out their boyish Valhalla I would dig out the Herter's catalog I kept at the shop and let them relive those days of their youth when everything was new and we were all inquisitive and wanting to learn about everything in the out-of-doors world we wanted to trek in our spare time. Many a young lads' dreams of their future were enriched by George's prose. Virtually everyone that I let peruse the shop's copy of the Herter's catalog wanted to buy it. Some of them even offering fifty dollars for it! It may have been lost on some, but, George's catalog is undoubtedly the standard that New York City advertising agencies strive for, although Times Square is woefully underpowered and undoubtedly much more expensive to maintain over time. George's catalogs are over fifty years old now as well as out-of-print and are still selling product. If you don't believe me just go to eBAY and type HERTER'S into the search bar.

As for the Herter's rifle in question, I have lived in or within 10miles of Waseca for all of my near 70 years and have never heard of a A()NT Hubert Co in Waseca, MN. I still have the J-9 barreled action that I purchased in 1969 that I put into a Herter's Walnut semi-inletted stock that I worked on in shop class at the public school that I attended. Try that today and see if you get arrested! It is in .270 Winchester and as others have mentioned the bolt stop is not the best design.

Now, before I sign off, I find myself compelled to mention one other thing: It has been said by others that there is a fine line between advertising and B.S., I prefer to think of the Herter's Catalog as a tool for educating oneself.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If it ain’t made with the Belgium-American Three Reamer System, it’s junk !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.