Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by b_li_ber_tar_ian
This is my model 60, 3" barrel. It carries better than the 3" mdl 65 i posted earlier. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My favorite wheel gun, got 2 of them, one I carry and one NIB for if I wear out the first one, did a trigger job and its a dream to shoot double action

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I carry 2 AirWeights with lasers. The “New York reload”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Switch
I totally agree. I carry a S&W 442 with a notch for a sight and a 2" barrel. I agree that a longer sight radius and adjustable sights are great for target shooting, but most self defense shooting are 7 to 10 feet , maybe 20 feet at the extreme. You don't net perfect sights or a long sight radius for that type of shooting. If you shoot someone with your adjustable sights and long barrel across the parking lot you are most likely to face charges, as the is no imitate threat. At the ranges mentioned 5 shots is plenty 1 or 2 does the job to disable the threat. My plan at home is to made enough noise with the hand gun until I can get to my shotgun. A hand gun is useless to the average guy that doesn't practice A LOT. my self include.

So if someone across the parking lot is shooting at you, they aren't a threat?
You know one or two shots will do the work?
Always have that shotgun handy, huh?

Last edited by MOGC; 04/03/21.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
I totally agree. I carry a S&W 442 with a notch for a sight and a 2" barrel. I agree that a longer sight radius and adjustable sights are great for target shooting, but most self defense shooting are 7 to 10 feet , maybe 20 feet at the extreme. You don't net perfect sights or a long sight radius for that type of shooting. If you shoot someone with your adjustable sights and long barrel across the parking lot you are most likely to face charges, as the is no imitate threat. At the ranges mentioned 5 shots is plenty 1 or 2 does the job to disable the threat. My plan at home is to made enough noise with the hand gun until I can get to my shotgun. A hand gun is useless to the average guy that doesn't practice A LOT. my self include.

I'm reminded of the elderly gentlemen who lived in a trailer park who saw a fellow trailer park resident involved in a gun fight with a cop, and took his (I believe) six inch Colt Python and took the bad guy out with one shot from fairly far away, like 30 yards or more. Any one remember that?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kragman1
Smith 696 in .44 special. 3" roundbutt L frame. Carried one for a while with CCI 200 grain Gold Dots, around 1,000 fps IIRC. Aluminum cases made them affordable enough to practice with too.

Solid gun but easy enough to carry, no hammer shroud but I just covered it with my thumb on the draw.
I could shoot it decently fast double action, plenty good enough for close range. Gun is mechanically accurate as well.
Not a lot of recoil (or muzzle flash in dim light), but I'll bet its very effective for self defense.

We closed those out for $399 for the last run of those when I was in the Wholesale Firearms Industry! Man was I ever stupid for not buying a couple of them! 😢

WOW...!

I wish that we had BOTH bought a couple at that price! I've seen what they go for today and I still wouldn't sell mine.
I do want to look into the GP100 in .44 Special though. It won't have the finesse of my Smith but I'm sure it would be fine.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I'm reminded of the elderly gentlemen who lived in a trailer park who saw a fellow trailer park resident involved in a gun fight with a cop, and took his (I believe) six inch Colt Python and took the bad guy out with one shot from fairly far away, like 30 yards or more. Any one remember that?

Was he carrying the Colt Python with a 6" barrel concealed? Doubt it. If I had to go out of my home to help a police officer in the situation you described I would have grabbed my shotgun witch is right by the outside door loaded with #3 buck, probably as handy as getting the Colt out of the place he stored it .Killed coyotes out to 65 yards out my back door. I'm more inclined to carry a small gun rather than a big revolver witch is left at home because it is hard to conceal. In the summer I usually wear a tee shirt and conealment is impossible.Try pulling a 6" python from an inside the pant holster. BTY I think 5 would do the job for sure! To each his own!

Last edited by Switch; 04/03/21.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Was he carrying the Colt Python with a 6" barrel concealed? Doubt it. If I had to go out of my home to help a police officer in the situation you described I would have grabbed my shotgun witch is right by the outside door loaded with #3 buck, probably as handy as getting the Colt out of the place he stored it .Killed coyotes out to 65 yards out my back door. I'm more inclined to carry a small gun rather than a big revolver witch is left at home because it is hard to conceal. In the summer I usually wear a tee shirt and conealment is impossible.Try pulling a 6" python from an inside the pant holster. BTY I think 5 would do the job for sure! To each his own!

But the story goes against the principle you proposed that a long range shot would always be unjustified.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

But the story goes against the principle you proposed that a long range shot would always be unjustified.

What ever! Not going to get in a pissin match with you, no gun is perfect. Scope a Red Hawk 454 and carry it in your back pocket. Then when you get a chance to shoot a bad guy or help a cop at 300 yards you'll be good! No more "what if's.

Last edited by Switch; 04/03/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
S&W model 19 2.5 inch or S&W model 60 in .357

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

What ever! Not going to get in a pissin match with you, no gun is perfect. Scope a Red Hawk 454 and carry it in your back pocket. Then when you get a chance to shoot a bad guy or help a cop at 300 yards you'll be good! No more "what if's.

So when you're shown to be mistaken you just start throwing insults??

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
better to be judged by 12 then buried by 6

bring what you can fight with and live.

and get the eff out of communist states and repopulate the midwest with solid conservatives

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I personally like revolvers. I have a S&W model 17 that I have shot thousands of rounds through at small targets. At one time it was my favorite thing I owned. It has been carried a lot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I would go with a 4 inch Model 19, frame is shootable and saves a bit of weight.

As to barrel length, I carried a Ruger Service 6 with a 4 inch barrel for years, and thought I needed something more concealable and bought a 2.5 inch Colt King Cobra. I found the 1.5 less barrel did almost nothing for concealment, but made it less shootable.

I have no experience shooting a 3 inch barrel revolver so can't speak on it, although a 3 inch model 19 is intriguing.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 3" K-frame round butt has a cult like following for a reason.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been carrying a .45 1911 lately because...well, just because. But I have carried a plain old .38 M&P for a long time. 2" and 4". Loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr SWCHP's, and speedloaders with Underwood hard cast wadcutters (soft lead hollowpoints tend to hang up when reloading. The hard wadcutters slip right into the chambers).

I am definitely a Safariland speedloader man. HKS speedloaders suck, frankly. I always found them fumbly, rattly, and unreliable... and definitely not that fast. I can reload with a Safariland speedloader pretty dang quick, with a lot less fumbling. No, it's not quite as fast and sure as slapping in a magazine into a 1911, but still not too shabby. This is something that I think is important to practice. Get reloading down to where you can do it easily and reliably and you're good to go.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Goldilocks Zone for daily concealed carry. The Glock 19 of revolvers.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I would have to agree, and I'm a Colt guy.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Yup.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It all boils down to what you are able and willing to carry and conceal while out and about. This may mean you have a couple different sized revolvers , carry methods, and perhaps even finishes- stainless or blue...

Hard to beat the 66 you already have for most carry situations, but they can be heavy and bulky as was my 686 when I used to carry it. I was offered a Smith Model 10 in a gun store the other day and was sorely tempted but I have never cared for 2" barrels when practicing. A 3" model 10 would be the cat's whiskers though when carrying light . My son carried a Smith Model 19 when he was on Embassy duty in the Marines and loves it. After shooting one myself after he got out I really like them also, but they are a large frame and would be a heavy carry revolver IMO for when you were wearing a suit or heavy outer clothes- which I assume you do both of...

In the end, it may be more difficult to choose a carry system than the pistol you're going to carry. I prefer an underarm holster rig these days but still looking for a good IWB or OWB carry holster that is comfortable and concealable....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Better to file off the sights for quickdraw.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.