Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You might pm geedubya before you throw one away. He has his made into sausage.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have used a .243, 7-08, .270, and .300 Savage to kill a good number of them without drama. We shoot them on site like Feral pigs. Like Feral pigs once you have them it is damn near impossible to get rid of them. I digress. Anyway if I was paying for a hunt I would prefer something 6.5mm or larger.

As far as eating the young ewes are not bad. On the rams the only way I personally think they are edible is ground and made into sausage. I do clean them and run the meat through my grinder and if I don't make sausage it gets fed to my dogs. They like it fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buffybr
I've only shot one aoudad. That was on my first hunt with my .300 Weatherby. My guide kept telling me how hard aoudads were to kill, and told me to anchor him by shooting him through his hips. I put a 168 grain Barnes TSX bullet through his shoulders and he simply dropped dead where he was standing.

My guide then said "You don't listen to your guide, do you?" I just smiled and answered "No."

He's not much of a guide if he's telling you to shoot an animal through the 'hips'.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by GreggH
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by RIO7

I'm kinda like Hanco, We shoot Aoudad on site, i usually carry a .243 in my jeep so that's what i use, if i was looking to hunt for a trophy Aoudad, and paying for the hunt i would use something a little heavier than a 6mm, But very few get to trophy size here. Rio7

So what are you considering trophy size? Curious

I don’t know how you measure an aoudad, curious what this one would have measured, just for curiosity’s sake. The Dad I killed with a bow weighed 200 lbs, this one was bigger.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don’t know much about them but I would be tickled to have that one on my wall. Hanco do you have any other pics of him?
GreggH

No sir, that’s the only one I took that day.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pete53
so do these Aoudad taste ok or are they not fit to eat ? i suppose Aoudads to hunt a person needs to go thru a guide service ?

They taste fine, but if you're a lazy fat f uck say you wouldn't feed one to yer dog........that makes it so......

The issue is people think corn fed beef is what meat tastes like. Truth is, that doesn't taste like anything. I've eaten steaks off of 5 or so aoudad. It tastes like meat. Same as pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail, elk, sage grouse, sharptail....whatever.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/27/21.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, right. When a guy goes on a meat hunt it ain't never, ever for an aoudad.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The outfitter that we booked with said in all his years of hunting and shooting a bunch of aoudad that only a very few have decided to keep the meat. He told us we can do as we please but he didn’t suggest it on the old Rams he hopes to put us on. He said the younger ones are a little different story. I’m still debating what I want to do. I figure I can put just about anything into a sausage and make it taste halfway decent.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m with JG... I’ve only shot one - a 13 year old ram in the Devil’s River area. I was bound and determined to at least take some backstraps home despite the consensus of the group. I lost all will and desire upon smelling him - no way was I attempting it.

Another ram shot during the hunt was located by smell. Our “mark” on where he went down was lost as we climbed the big ridge. Once we got up there, all of the brush looked the same. I ended up going to the very top of the ridge and walked it until I smelled him. Then we got the group on the line and walked upwind until we walked right into him. He was about 75 yards from me upon smelling him.

I would like to try a young ewe, though...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You can smell them if the wind is right, they can smell as good as a deer also, gone if they smell you.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm much more of a meat hunter than a trophy hunter, and Aoudad are a target of opportunity that can be taken year round.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a juvenile I took last spring.

I have the meat made into boudin, snack stix.

summer sausage and smoked link sausage.

My latest favorite is Green Onion/Pepper Jack smoked links.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/27/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If you wish to eat Aoudad, it's fine with me, I just feel there are to many other critters that I don't have to hide in sausage to make it eatable, and some of them are also great in sausage. We are not going to run out of Aoudad, any time soon, the Buzzards and Worms got to eat to. Rio7

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
What's the old saying.....
there's room for all god's creatures........ right next to the mashed potatos.

Anywho, there are numerous critters at which I'd draw the line.

I enjoy taking game and making meat. I'm fortunate that I can do so with reasonable expenditure of time and money.

I give quite a bit away,

it seems most folks appreciate it.

of all the stuff I have processed or smoke,

or turn into jerky

use in beans and soup

or stew

Alligator jerky is probably my least favorite

followed closely by Javelina!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/28/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Shot my first Aoudad a few months ago. Took along my M70 7mm08 shooting 140 Accubonds. Worked perfectly, as one should expect. Not sure why some outfitters want 300 Mags and larger used. I’d use anything from the 6.5 and up with a quality bullet.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I was hoping to see some Dad’s this weekend, but no luck. I did clip a couple pigs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously pretty tough, you guys have been killing them for about two weeks now! 😁😁😁

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by buffybr
I've only shot one aoudad. That was on my first hunt with my .300 Weatherby. My guide kept telling me how hard aoudads were to kill, and told me to anchor him by shooting him through his hips. I put a 168 grain Barnes TSX bullet through his shoulders and he simply dropped dead where he was standing.

My guide then said "You don't listen to your guide, do you?" I just smiled and answered "No."

I’m not a guide, but I would never recommend a hip shot. Seems like unnecessary suffering for the animal. I always make shoulder or heart shots when possible.

NRA Endowment Member
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.