Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am looking to get a motorcycle for hunting nd also be able to take on the street. Not planning on a touring type bike, but I am a big guy, 6-1 and 250. Plan on a scabbard, rack, and whatever else I can fit on it reasonably.

Any suggestions?

A friend mentioned a KLR 650.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 650 off road is a lot of bike.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
KLR 650

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
was also looking at CRF250L

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What kind of street riding? If you are connecting trails with a little bit of asphalt the Honda mentioned would be great. That KLR isn't really a dirt bike. It's a street bike dressed in drag. It's a big heavy turd.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Find a Suzuki DR350 if you can. They stopped making them in 1999. I’m 6’, 240 and it’s still a big bike.

I hunt off mine at the ranch, and also plated to be street legal. No need for a scabbard, just cross sling your rifle over you back. My hunting buddies think I look like Mexican Cartel member.

The seat makes a nice shooting rest. I’ve shot numerous deer and hogs off it.

You have to call in a cleanup crew (quad or truck), unless you shoot something small and then you can drape it over your lap.

Last edited by Stammster; 04/03/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Back when I rode dirt bikes for fun, it was a pain in the ass to keep a 2 stroke from loading up when I was in actual woods with it. If you'll be in a lot of "go slow" spots with broken ground and lots of downed trees, I would recommend a 4 stroke. If you are in more open territory it shouldn't matter.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gonna need a sidecar.......

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
You gonna need a sidecar.......

Yeah....

Or,not.
I rode with a friend that had a nice, tricked out klr. Nice bike.
I rode a xr650l, more off rode modded, blah blah,blah.

what your asking for, klr.

Thumpertalk.com is your friend.
Go cruise that site. Read, for hours.😉
Good luck.✌🏻

Last edited by fester; 04/03/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I were going to buy a bike to take hunting and it had to be street legal my two choices would be a Yamaha TW200 or a Honda 125 Trail.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A Ural with a sidecar, on demand 2 wheel drive, and a place to pack out your dear.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
If I were going to buy a bike to take hunting and it had to be street legal my two choices would be a Yamaha TW200 or a Honda 125 Trail.

I concur.

All new motorcycles are in short supply these days, particularly the Honda which was just introduced last year, but used Tdubs are around.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Decide where you want the most adaptability.

A 250cc might offer all the speed/power I need for the street but be a lot more agile on the trail.

If the street or highway is the main concern the 650 wins.

A 350 - 450 is a good compromise, but I'll still lean toward the lighter weight & agility of a 250 every time just a long as it's capable for my street travels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My TW200 has fat tires and a rack I built out of cromo tubing. It will haul more than you'll believe. Aftermarket lighting is essential.

I love the xt for blasting around on.

I also have a yz250 2stroke dialed in for the woods. If I had to keep one it would be the xt225. It's faster and closer to moto layout. I've been on bikes for over 40 years and the tw is wide and squatty.... but it is a goat if you can keep it upright it will go through whatever you need it to.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a tw200, great bike BUT, I'm the same height as you and we are too tall for it. The peg to seat height is not enough for comfortable riding. Your knees will be up high and your crotch will be numb after 20 minutes.

I now have a 2018 Suzuki DRZ400 and its just about the perfect all-around bike. I bought it specifically to use for backcountry wolf hunting, and I am very happy with it.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the DR200S, I'm lighter than you but the bike would by far haul your azz around.

I'm off pavement about 80% of the time but make short, 15 to 20 mile highway runs to get to some locations. I can run it up to 65 mph pretty quick and eventually hit 80.

That's where I'd think you'd be happier with the DR400, maybe I would too. I missed a chance at buying a good Honda 250, it could be the ticket for you as well.

I'd just hate to go with a heavier bike now that I have this one.
The 200 I can manipulate really well off the road, my aging light weight body still has enough umph to make a light bike do what I want it to in hard spots. I've bounced my way up some really steep rocky climbs and been surprised with the control I can maintain.

With the DR200 weighing in at 275 pounds, it's a bike I ride, it don't ride me. Then there's the loading it on the rack on the back of the RV part. I would not want a heavier bike when it comes to that maneuver.
The DR400 is 320 pounds, so you'd probably find it to be similar in maneuverability and manipulating, you have a 100 pounds of body weight on me and a few inches of height.

The bike is super quite, when I first purchased it I was recommended to put a performance exhaust system on it to enhance performance and make it sound like a real motorcycle.
Really glad I didn't do that. I can sneak around pretty stealthy like in the mountains without spooking every critter I come across.

I put it in neutral and shut it off for downhill runs and then it's just tire noise, some places for miles at a time.
Last fall I put 1700 off highway miles on it in the mountains of Montana, it's proven.

I've been getting between 90 to 100 mpg.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Since I bought the bike I've installed front and rear racks, get good ones, they are the best tie down points when hauling.

Got rid of the factory tires and installed 40/60s, the factory tires were 80/20s. Huge off road performance enhancer, I waited too long to do it, the 80/20s were new and I wanted to get some miles out of them before I junked them, I wouldn't wait to do that again.

I went with the Black Widow rack system and I'd buy it again, it's worked out to be perfect for a light weight bike.
If you're considering a bike hauling rack such as this get one with a minimum of a 5ft ramp, the shorter the steeper.

I use the Rino brand 1 1/4 inch wide tie downs.
I tie down at 4 points, a bit overkill but it don't budge when hauling on rough roads. I watch it with my backup camera, it never wiggles.

So, that's my two cents worth, good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i18.photobucket.com]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
OK, so 650 appears big for what I want. I plan on driving 50/50 road/offroad. I am not a young man and not Evel Knievel. Several people recommend the TW 200 and several honda crf250l.

I would plan on putting racks on it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Uhhh no not really but ok.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Go sit and ride a few..... you will find what you want

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.