Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Being a coach for the National Scholastic clay target program at our local gun club for 8 years the club hosts 90
kids in the spring program from 5th grade through high school seniors. We have kids shooting H& R single barrels to Krieghoffs and everything in between. Mostly the kids are shooting their grandfathers old shotgun which are primarily Rem 1100 and 870's.

Most young shooters start out with 20 gauges yet can't wait to move up to a 12 gauge gun..even when they the are not ready too.

Not knowing the height, strength or size of your son your primary considerations are how much recoil can he handle? Also how much gun weight ( a 12 vs a 20) is he comfortable with? The last priority is proper gun fit in length of pull comb ( top of the stock) height.

i agree with most here a Beretta 390 ( if you can find one) or 400 is an excellent choice. Yet nothing wrong with a Remington 1100 trap as a starter gun. I find most high school shooters can't handle the recoil off say a BT-99 or over/under for a 200 round shoot until they are big kids or juniors in high school.

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 03/31/21.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
CZ is offering a great single Trap gun. 4 way adj butt and comb raised rib, ported bbl. lengthened cones and 5 briley tubes for half the proce of a browning

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Contacted my local small gun shop today ... he actually has 3 used but in excellent condition semiauto trap guns right now. He has a Beretta 400 Xplor ... a Beretta AL391 Urika ... and a Remington 1100. He sent me pics of all of them. The 391 has all the bells & whistles. Adjustable LOP ... adjustable comb ... elevated rib on barrel ... extended bolt lever. Not sure if he needs all that? The Beretta 400 and the Remington 1100 look more like field grade guns to me other than maybe tad longer barrels with extended chokes. I think I will run my boy over there Friday evening and let him handle all of them to see what he thinks!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Contacted my local small gun shop today ... he actually has 3 used but in excellent condition semiauto trap guns right now. He has a Beretta 400 Xplor ... a Beretta AL391 Urika ... and a Remington 1100. He sent me pics of all of them. The 391 has all the bells & whistles. Adjustable LOP ... adjustable comb ... elevated rib on barrel ... extended bolt lever. Not sure if he needs all that? The Beretta 400 and the Remington 1100 look more like field grade guns to me other than maybe tad longer barrels with extended chokes. I think I will run my boy over there Friday evening and let him handle all of them to see what he thinks!

Ricky,

Be sure to remove the forend on the Rem 1100 to check the bluing loss on the magazine tube....a good indicator of mileage on a Rem 1100 target gun. Regarding the Beretta 391, some competition shooters have experienced
cracked receivers which Beretta will not replace, Beretta states a cracked receiver will not effect functioning of the shotgun. The Beretta 391 did not last long in the product line for a reason. In my opinion the Beretta 303 and 390 were the best clay auto's ever made.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
find out where he'll be shooting and what style it is.

When I was in High School and we had a trap team. I brought my BT-99, turns out we were shooting clays from a hand launcher posted at our feet.

I wound up getting a 26" improved or skeet cyl and did very well.

so find out what the set up is first.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yes, ask the coach what exactly will he be shooting. A lot of school teams shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays (5-stand). True "trap" shotguns are good for trap but not for skeet or sporting. He could, however, shoot trap with an "all around" gun.

If he is shooting other things besides trap the best thing you could get him would be an A400 XCell with the "Kickoff" recoil reduction system. New they are about $1,800, used maybe $1,400. There is a lot to be said for the 20-gauge but if they are giving aways 12-ga shells then that is how I would go. But, generally in those kinds of deals they are giving away pretty powerful rounds, and their recoil is tough to tolerate in just about anything other than a gas-operated semi-auto.

The Beretta 390/391 was a great gun but did not offer the Kickoff system. I have owned several of all of them and the KO is the way to go, by a long shot. The A400 has the same adjustable-fit stock as the 391 (via an interchangeable shim between the stock and the action). They work fine for either a left- or right-hander.

Last edited by RimfireArtist; 04/03/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps also inquire if the school has shotguns they allow to be used for practice and events.

An additional resource would be the coach, for a recommendation and also to inquire if there are team sponsors. Who may give discounts on purchasing, or even donate shotguns to be used.

390, 391, XPolor, Xcell, BT99, 1100, CZ, adjustable, etc, etc, etc...to a poster who admits they are clueless..
Go talk with the couch, go to a trap club, go find a local trap shooter...go find someone who can give you hands on advice..

Last edited by battue; 04/03/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FU Couch!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Damit Couch...Spent primers are the ultimate tutorial. Now get off your cuchie and pass the AA's."

OK, OK..go talk with the "coach".... grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Local club that I shot at today and their efforts to get the "yutes" into sporting clays...Been going on for many years....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
battue that’s good to see! Getting the youngsters involved is the only way to protect our future in the shooting sports

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Getting the youngsters involved is the only way to protect our future in the shooting sports

That's true. Winchester SXP trap gun $379 until you figure he will stick with it. Or a used 1100 trap. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Both my boys shoot on a trap team. Season for us runs January to October. My boys shoot singles, handicap and doubles.

A automatic shotgun is my favorite but it simply won’t hold up if you put the rounds through them. When school is out and my boys are getting ready for a state shoot, sctp nationals or the grand they each will shoot 50 boxes or more Ammo a week. Even break action guns will break pounding them like that.

My advice if he’s only shooting singles I’d buy a BT99 and buy a PFS stock. If he’s shooting all three disciplines i bought the browning 725 combo gun in 34 inch unsingle with 32 inch o/u barrels both with adjustable ribs.

I reload so for practice they shoot a lot 7/8oz loads.

If you don’t want to spend a arm and a leg tell him he can’t join the team....cause it’s the costliest sport there is.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Odd, in that I know a few that have around 200,000 rounds out of various Beretta SA’s with routine maintenance and a few easily replaced parts. Should be enough to get them off to a good start.

Had to put a new locking lug and replace a side rib on a Perazzi after around 100,000.

Know one who went over 200,000 shooting a Beretta 682 series before he did a rebuild.

I know a good SA will serve them well just starting out. In the long run, today’s SA’s are the best dollar value of all the available shotgun options. The work reliably and what does break is an easy fix.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Took my boy to local gun shop yesterday evening and had him look at and handle several guns. We ended up ordering one for him. No idea when it’ll arrive. He will be getting a new Beretta 12ga SA a400 xplor with the kick off option. I’m excited for him to get it and start shooting with it! Should be a great gun for his Trap shooting and hopefully he’ll excel in the sport. Seems like the Beretta was a solid choice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now start finding ammo. A lot of ammo!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Now start finding ammo. A lot of ammo!

I heard that. I’m fine with the kid burning through it if I can keep it supplied for him. The kid could be doing a lot worse things! Lol

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I think I’m going to order a couple of the Beretta +2” chokes for him also. Anyone have any suggestions on what restrictions I should get for him? I was thinking of maybe ordering a modified and improved modified. The +2” choke tubes seem like the way to go to me for his trap shooting. Any suggestions?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since you asked....They will not break him a single extra target. The chokes that came with the shotgun will serve him well for now.

He has some learning to do

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think I’m going to order a couple of the Beretta +2” chokes for him also. Anyone have any suggestions on what restrictions I should get for him? I was thinking of maybe ordering a modified and improved modified. The +2” choke tubes seem like the way to go to me for his trap shooting. Any suggestions?

Pattern and see

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 68 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.