Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got new Lapua .223 brass.

Have always "prepped" other brands i.e. run thru sizer to round out case mouths, trim all to consistent lengths, and chamfered case mouths.

Since Lapua is supposed to be cream of the (brass) crop will this really be necessary?

(Yes I know I can just check the ones I have but am curious about other peoples experience!)

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if you are use to doing it, why skip it? skipping isn't going to hurt nothing...

I should add an addendum that I NEVER trim the length of brass, new or range pick up, until the rifle tells me it needs trimmed...

Last edited by Seafire; 03/22/21. Reason: addendum

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I do to new Lapua brass is inspect them inside for debris, run a mandrel into the neck to insure they are round and chamfer.
No reason to trim until after first firing, that's when you'll see the largest stretch.
I didn't used to inspect them inside but my last batch had one case full of brass shavings from when they trimmed them to length so now I do.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just loaded up some new Lapua brass last weekend myself, ran it through a Lee collet neck die and only chamfered the inside. the outside was so smooth it did not need it. I'm with NVhntr, waste to trim before you fire a time or two.

On a side note I also had some new Norma cases, they were defective. the primer pockets were too small and too shallow, I thought if I sent them back that I would probably see them after the Biden error was over.............it took 6 hours to ream and uniform to get primers in

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same as the others I just run a mandrel through the neck with any new lapua brass and thats it.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
if you are use to doing it, why skip it? skipping isn't going to hurt nothing...

I should add an addendum that I NEVER trim the length of brass, new or range pick up, until the rifle tells me it needs trimmed...

I need to take classes from you.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Lapua put out a bunch of 223 rem brass recently. A LGS had 10 boxes of it a couple weeks ago and I bought some for $80.00. Since I turned mine into 6x45 brass, I ran it through the sizing die, checked for proper length and examined all case mouths. Everything looked great. Had I used it for 223 rem brass, I would have been good to go without any prep at all. Good stuff as per usual, but still needs to be checked just to verify. Also, my box contained 101 pcs. Couldn't be happier with the quality.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good to hear. Bought my 1st batch of .223 Lapua brass recently for use in a Browning Low Wall to replace the old batch of Federal nickel plated brass that's about worn out. Been a believer in Lapua brass for .30-06 and 6.5x55 for quite a while now, figured I was stepping up in the .223 world by switching to it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As already mentioned, check for debris. I have found string chips inside maybe 1:250, like they came from the flash hole drill and were long enough to get stuck. Other than that they should need very little prep.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

don't confuse knowledge and intelligence,

with lazy and being a cheap ass.... whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I put a heavy Chamfer on the inside of the case mouth. This is an aid in helping the bullet get started without scoring the bullet jacket. I neck size all the Lapua brass to insure uniform neck tension on the bullet.

When the brass is in the loading block, inspect the inside of the case with a small AA battery flash light.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by keith

. . .When the brass is in the loading block, inspect the inside of the case with a small AA battery flash light.

My goodness! You mean to say you actually take
time to do something like methodically check cases
for problems or defects?!?

I was beginning to think that I was the only one left
who would actually do a non-mechanized step in the
loading process
Well, that makes two of us. Maybe there's someone
else. Maybe there's somebody that uses a beam scale.
Or even. . . . a single stage press. . . :-0

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto all three!😎

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

don't confuse knowledge and intelligence,

with lazy and being a cheap ass.... whistle

Ha! A big portion of knowledge and intelligence is knowing when to be lazy and a cheap ass...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I run all new brass through the sizing die, including Lapua and Norma. I also trim it to the same length and work on the primer pockets. To each his own, its just how I roll.

lightman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just load Lapua brass as it comes out of the box. I've only used 3-4 boxes so far, but I never saw one piece of Lapua brass that had a defect of any sort.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lightman
I run all new brass through the sizing die, including Lapua and Norma. I also trim it to the same length and work on the primer pockets. To each his own, its just how I roll.
That is how I was taught.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lightman
That is how I was taught.

I check it for length. Generally new brass doesn't need to be trimmed. There are those rare occasions though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm still learning and that's why I pay attention to these technique threads.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I got an extra pc. in my last new box. Hey 80 cents is 80 cents. 221 fireball to make into 20VT.

Last edited by boatammo; 04/04/21.

MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.