Print Thread
Hop To
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Went through a bucket of WWs today. Seems straight forward enough to sort out the Fe and Zn and plastic weights ( I've been crushing the corner of each with the throat of a pair of pliers. All those so far marked 'micro' have been soft.
This kind marked 'Al' are also soft. Good to go ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the AL designates wheel type, the weight is lead alloy

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks deerstalker. Lots to learn..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm
Thanks deerstalker. Lots to learn..

me too since i have reached the age i have forgotten all i knew, or thought i did. what were we talking about?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I melted a bunch of WW a few months ago. Used a pair of dikes to check any I wasn't sure about.
Zinc has a slightly higher melt temp so I was looking for any "stragglers" in the pot. They all seemed to melt at the same time.

Pretty sure they were all lead!

On another note. I used a muffin tin to pour them into ingots.
Do not set your muffin tin mold on a milk crate! 😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I melted a bunch of WW a few months ago. Used a pair of dikes to check any I wasn't sure about.
Zinc has a slightly higher melt temp so I was looking for any "stragglers" in the pot. They all seemed to melt at the same time.

Pretty sure they were all lead!

On another note. I used a muffin tin to pour them into ingots.
Do not set your muffin tin mold on a milk crate! 😂

or on the wife's grandmothers antique wood cutting board! don't ask.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
About the only letters on wheelweights to worry about are FE and Z or ZN. The other letters are either the Manufacturer or the type of wheel that they are made for. You really don't have to worry about the ones marked FE. You won't melt them at the temps that casters work at.

lightman
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Sorted out the Fe, Zn, and plastic weights. Started with a 5 gallon bucket maybe 4/5 full. That included all kinds of crap from the tire shop floor.. valve stems lots of lug bolts, washers, some trash, and of course the undesirable weights.
Finished with this much lead. Not super, but free and I'm happy enough. Dirty job.

Last edited by longarm; 03/27/21. Reason: Typo
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Noticed that every weight marked "micro" was lead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker

or on the wife's grandmothers antique wood cutting board! don't ask.

Ouch

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Same round these parts.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sorted out the Fe, Zn, and plastic weights. Started with a 5 gallon bucket maybe 4/5 full. That included all kinds of crap from the tire shop floor.. valve stems lots of lug bolts, washers, some trash, and of course the undesirable weights.
Finished with this much lead. Not super, but free and I'm happy enough. Dirty job.

It gets easier after you sort a few. You get a routine established and you get a feel for the Zinc weights. Get a box of those rubber mechanics gloves.

One of the buckets that I got last year had a used oil filter standing up in it. Another had a wheel cylinder draining in it. Talk about nasty. But the lead was still good and shiny once it was melted!

If al goes as planned a buddy is planning to come over in the morning and we plan to smelt all of the scrap we scavenged last year. We'll see..............

Last edited by lightman; 04/01/21.

lightman
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Ah the good ole days. Enjoy the scavenger hunt and melt at the end of the day

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am glad I came across this subject. I didn’t know there was a difference and anything about the markings. So avoid Fe and Zn.

How hard are wheel weight bullets? I am very new to casting. I have only used range lead before.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by viking
I am glad I came across this subject. I didn’t know there was a difference and anything about the markings. So avoid Fe and Zn.

How hard are wheel weight bullets? I am very new to casting. I have only used range lead before.

The newer ones are about 12 BHN but the ones from the early 70's run 14 or slightly more.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Well, I guess nothing stays the same. I just found a Zinc weight with the "Micro" name on it! Up until now all of the Micro weights that I saw were lead.

lightman
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have a bunch of wheel weights and used them for my muzzleloader , and tried to swage them down to .452" . It got stuck and could hardly get it out. I now only use wheel weights for sinkers and jigs.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
I have a bunch of wheel weights and used them for my muzzleloader , and tried to swage them down to .452" . It got stuck and could hardly get it out. I now only use wheel weights for sinkers and jigs.

You need to cast them into bullets first. grin

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WW alloy is far too hard for ML guns. Round balls should be pure lead, and I wouldn’t try anything harder that 30:1 lead/tin in a bullet gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks digital Dan. I found that out real fast. They make good sinkers and jigs though, but I think they are a big lighter.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.