Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scottishkat

John Wesley said "What one generation tolerates the next generation will embrace".

And oh, how we see this every day. Well, I do, anyway. Most everyone else who has gone with the flow over the years don't notice a thing wrong.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

So Christians should just get a free pass when they threaten people with eternal suffering if they do not bend to their ways?
What about when they do it to impressionable children?

That's not even a fair question.

If I warn someone of consequences that another has in store for them, how am I threatening them?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I warn someone of consequences that another has in store for them, how am I threatening them?

How about when Christians restrict the sale of alcohol on Sunday like they do in may places here in the south. Or restrict hunting on Sunday like they do in Virginia. How is that not using the law to force people to participate in your belief that Sunday is a holy day?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Willto

How about when Christians restrict the sale of alcohol on Sunday like they do in may places here in the south. Or restrict hunting on Sunday like they do in Virginia. How is that not using the law to force people to participate in your belief that Sunday is a holy day?

So, do these actions (which I have neither participated in nor condone) force you to believe anything at all?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
You are correct in the respect that Buddhism, like Stoicism, put the responsibility for your condition upon YOU, and doesn't provide the "outs" of blaming the Devil, or God, or some woman who ate an apple.
Buddhism, like Stoicism, gets a lot of things right. Even Christianity teaches that some types of suffering can be avoided through virtue.

I know things are going well for you now, you are crushing life. But it won't always be that way and it won't necessarily be because you did anything wrong.

You're a good dude, but no amount of charity, meditation or anything else is going to save you from suffering at some point.

Christ calls us to pick up our cross as a blessing, not something to be avoided at all cost. It's a tough thing to do. It's why so many are called and so few make it.

And Christianity doesn't guarantee that virtue brings worldly success either. Any religion that does is a flat-out lie.

ETA: I used to follow Lao Tzu, performing his health/spiritual practices daily for several years.

your way or the highway....this is why religion sucks....the only true belief is the one you hold everyone else is wrong...what if you are the one that is wrong?......bob

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by scottishkat

The Bible is full of the words "The people did what was good and right in their own eyes" or just "what was good to themselves".

That's always been the case.
Some just try to justify their actions through the lense of their religion.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Once more, you all know where I stand.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This might be the wrong time to look at church attendance considering most are closed. Besides God is with you all the time.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 04/04/21.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RiverRider

So Christians should just get a free pass when they threaten people with eternal suffering if they do not bend to their ways?

Generally, it's not intended as a friendly warning, but a threat, and very commonly comes after all the Christians better arguments are expended. Often this is cloaked in the form of Pascals Wager, but it reality, it's the no different from a mob protection racket. "Ya got a nice life here, it would be a shame if something were to happen to it, and you burned forever. Hey kid, don't be stupid like your old man here, you better fall in line, pay your rent or it will happen to you too.".

Additionally, what does it say about the morality of people who would willingly follow such a god? By our legal standards such a god is a criminal. Extortion is a Felony. In what other aspect of your life do you willingly follow a criminal and make criminal threats on his behalf?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobMt
your way or the highway....this is why religion sucks....the only true belief is the one you hold everyone else is wrong...what if you are the one that is wrong?......bob

And what makes you right, Pope Bob?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Generally, it's not intended as a friendly warning, but a threat, and very commonly comes after all the Christians better arguments are expended. Often this is cloaked in the form of Pascals Wager, but it reality, it's the no different from a mob protection racket. "Ya got a nice life here, it would be a shame if something were to happen to it, and you burned forever. Hey kid, don't be stupid like your old man here, you better fall in line, pay your rent or it will happen to you too.".

Additionally, what does it say about the morality of people who would willingly follow such a god? By our legal standards such a god is a criminal. Extortion is a Felony. In what other aspect of your life do you willingly follow a criminal and make criminal threats on his behalf?
What do those random Christians get out of that? Protection racket?! Are you serious?! laugh laugh laugh

You are better than that.

This is why I've pretty much given up arguing with you. You know it's about free will and the fact that choices have consequences. I hope you figure it out someday. It's not a lack of intelligence that you suffer from.

Sincerely, I wish you the best with your temper tantrum against nature.

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/04/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by BobMt

your way or the highway....this is why religion sucks....the only true belief is the one you hold everyone else is wrong...

Your dictum is self-contradictory; do you see that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been to churches that put me to sleep because they were so boring and so legalistic and so formal and so lifeless. They oughta make convicts sit through their services as part of their punishment. I like an appealing setting, engaging communication, and helpful content. And I like really good live music and fog machines and colored lights; and I like warehouse type settings with folding chairs and conversational type sermons, where I can bring coffee or ice tea into the worship area during the service. I don’t care for natural light or stained glass or choirs or pews or robes being worn by the pastor. Informal, non-traditional, and laid-back as described above puts me WAY more in the mood to worship Jesus in a building.

In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, enjoyable, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, no-fun, formal environment (with boring worship services).

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
This might be the wrong time to look at church attendance considering most are closed. Besides God is with you all the time.

That’s a good point but it also begs the question of how important attendance ever was in the first place given how easily many churches ceased to assemble.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
I’ve been to churches that put me to sleep because they were so boring and so legalistic and so formal and so lifeless. They oughta make convicts sit through their services as part of their punishment. I like an appealing setting, engaging communication, and helpful content. And I like really good live music and fog machines and colored lights; and I like warehouse type settings with folding chairs and conversational type sermons, where I can bring coffee or ice tea into the worship area during the service. I don’t care for natural light or stained glass or choirs or pews or robes being worn by the pastor. Informal, non-traditional, and laid-back as described above puts me WAY more in the mood to worship Jesus in a building.

In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, enjoyable, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, no-fun, formal environment (with boring worship services).

The church service is not supposed to be a concert or a laser light show. (nor is it for "reaching the lost"!. It is for praising God and the edification of the saints). The modern pop-culture nonsense is why I LEFT the church I grew up in. It went "modern" (though so far, no fog machines that I know of...yet).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What do those random Christians get out of that? Protection racket?! Are you serious?! laugh laugh laugh

You are better than that.

This is why I've pretty much given up arguing with you. You know it's about free will and the fact that choices have consequences. I hope you figure it out someday. It's not a lack of intelligence that you suffer from.

Sincerely, I wish you the best with your temper tantrum against nature.

Christians have a difficult time stepping back and looking at the idea of an omnipotent and omniscient being, creator of everything, choosing to create evil.

Right there's a big hmmmmmmm????

Then, the idea that if someone lives their whole life literally never breaking any of the Christian god's laws, but for some reason either chooses not to believe in Jesus or never even hears about him, they are tortured for eternity after they die.

Seems legit.

Or, one could look around and reasonably conclude that if there is a "creator" there's a pretty good chance it doesn't care a whole lot about those things running around on the third rock from our particular sun, one of trillions of such rocks floating around trillions of stars.

And don't even start thinking about how incredibly messed up it is that all the evil things that happen happen if there is a god that's paying attention. An all-powerful being choosing to allow satan to exist......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stophel
The church service is not supposed to be a concert or a laser light show. (nor is it for "reaching the lost"!. It is for praising God and the edification of the saints). The modern pop-culture nonsense is why I LEFT the church I grew up in. It went "modern" (though so far, no fog machines that I know of...yet).
Different strokes for different folks.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You are correct in the respect that Buddhism, like Stoicism, put the responsibility for your condition upon YOU, and doesn't provide the "outs" of blaming the Devil, or God, or some woman who ate an apple.
Buddhism, like Stoicism, gets a lot of things right. Even Christianity teaches that some types of suffering can be avoided through virtue.

I know things are going well for you now, you are crushing life. But it won't always be that way and it won't necessarily be because you did anything wrong.

You're a good dude, but no amount of charity, meditation or anything else is going to save you from suffering at some point.

Christ calls us to pick up our cross as a blessing, not something to be avoided at all cost. It's a tough thing to do. It's why so many are called and so few make it.

And Christianity doesn't guarantee that virtue brings worldly success either. Any religion that does is a flat-out lie.

ETA: I used to follow Lao Tzu, performing his health/spiritual practices daily for several years.

Tyrone,
Happy Easter to you and all those you love.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, in certain aspects of my life I'm crushing it, and doing better than ever before. In others parts things are.......interesting, I just don't share my drama's on The Fire or other social medias. I've had my struggles that were not the result of my own doing, and my primary tools for working thought these derive from core tenants of Stoicism and Skepticism, neither of which make any guarantee's to worldly success. Of course Buddhism isn't monolithic, but in general, it makes no promises of worldly success either. Actually, it's promises quit the contrary, that life is suffering and provides idea on how to mitigate how you allow this to affect you.

In my mind, Christianity's just another take on this same dilemma that adds an unnecessary supernatural element. (Now to be fair some forms of Buddhism do worship The Buddha as a God and include an origin story with super natural aspects, but I digress...) I take a more holistic approach to literature during the navigation of life's challenges. I don't limit myself to one philosophy, or one writer of one era, or one discipline, and don't consider any specific one as divinely inspired so I'm able to perform a less biased evaluation of the relevant text and idea.

You will noticed I included Christianity, because sometimes it provides very relevant idea. I'll give you a example. My daughter and her boyfriend were considering a move to another state. His father did not want them to leave for his own selfish reasons, so I sat down with them to discuss. And upon what did this discussion center? Genesis, Chapter 12, verse 1 and 2:

1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

Sure, it's from the Bible, but on that day, it was the wisdom that best applied to their situation, but of course I skipped the part about Abraham whoring out his wife as his sister, because well, that didn't apply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stophel
The church service is not supposed to be a concert or a laser light show. (nor is it for "reaching the lost"!. It is for praising God and the edification of the saints).
I want no part of a congregation that feels no obligation for reaching out to the unchurched, and I want no part of a congregation that feels no obligation for reaching out to the unsaved. The exclusivity of what you describe above is the polar opposite of what Jesus Himself did. The ‘members only’ attitude of what you describe above is the polar opposite of what Jesus Himself did. He was even criticized by the ‘holier than thou’ crowd because of the kind of people He chose to hang out with.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Politics has taken the place of religion in American society/culture.

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.