Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
An old military table I got from my grandfather. Dated 1962 on the underside. Its held up well for as much as its been used:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by deflave
These are the bees knees for shooting vermin all day.

https://www.amazon.com/Muddy-Swivel...ting+bench&qid=1586458812&sr=8-8

The Caldwell that MM posted is probably just as good if not better. Just be sure it swivels. And use real bags. Dump the stick.

Correct on all counts. If it doesn't swivel, save your drivel.

These work great and nothing else in their price range is even close to being as good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of ideas here too. Hard to get much more portable than your tailgate.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...10549308/Tailgate_benchrest#Post10549308

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Build UR own as mentioned

3 legged design is solid---table top is 2-3/4" pcs ply wood 38" long x 24" wide

Hint....1.25" pipe sleeves cut/welded @ 15* (pic 1) Legs 30---31" long

pic 2.........prob kilt a million p/dogs over this table the last 20+ yrs

20 Vartarg on table

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tikka nut and I use Lonny's brackets. I go to the Habitat for Humanity and buy solid core doors, and you can get two great table tops from one door. Home depot, lowes can make/ cut 1.25" galvanized pipe legs to your length and thread one or both ends. This makes for an extremely sturdy table, just as stable as a concrete bench. I do a couple of things extra, I put two coats of fiberglass or casting resin on the table to preserve it, and I put V notches in the off side of the table to lean guns up against. When transporting, simply screw the legs out of the table. I have one that I have been using since 1987, and it is still ROCK SOLID! I used a SawsAll to cut out the bench tops, and a heavy duty saber saw would do the job also.

Custom wood suppliers for cabinet makers sells 1.5" plywood, if you want to get the good stuff, and you will get two tables out of one sheet, sell one.

There are various ways to attach the table legs to the underside of the table during transport after they have been unscrewed.

These benches are so sturdy, it is hard to believe...rock solid.

Lonny's legs are made so well, they will be around for a couple of hundred years, and I use a 4 legged version.

I like the seat that a drummer uses to sit on, completely adjustable for all heights, purchased at pawn shops...$40 or so..

Remember one thing when you are designing a table, you need your elbow on the arm that pulls the trigger to be supported. It is a huge mistake to have your elbow unsupported.

If you need Lonny's contact information, send me a pm. I just got in 4 sets of 4 brackets for my brother and nephews, and have great table designs.

Also, many skimp on the thickness of the table top, this is a huge mistake. 1.5" plywood or 2" thick wood from solid core doors is the best way to go. Each leg support uses FOUR 5/16" or 1/2" carriage bolts with lock washers, and they do not come loose.

My table legs are cut 31" long, and we have shorter legs we screw in for the kids to shoot off of....we start them off young!

Three basic issues on any shooting table:

A. sturdy

B. correct height

C. stool you sit on has to be of the correct height for each person using the bench, and people do vary in their torso.

D. shooting stool should be comfortable, not cutting off the circulation in the legs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
and I put V notches in the off side of the table to lean guns up against.

When are you guys gonna learn? V-notches suck. Cut handholds instead, no chance to accidently knock stuff over, when the barrel is slid into a 'hold....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
2" deep V notch. If you are a clutz, then put a small bunji cord with eye hooks on each side of the V Notch. Guns do not fall over or out of the V notches.

Huntsman, I have no idea what you are talking about. I put two handles on the front of the bench and one on the rear of the bench to move the bench around, but this has nothing to do with standing up extra rifles up against the bench while the barrels cool. The 4 legged bench with the 1.5" top is so sturdy, you are not about to knock the guns over bumping the bench unless you are stone cold drunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
says the guy who's dog don't like to lay under the bench in the shade....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

My portable version......

I've settled on two pieces of half inch glued & screwed together as a good compromise between weight & stiffness.

48" x 30", rounded corners, and a 10" x 16" cutout.

Indoor/outdoor carpet on the top, folded under & stapled.

Folding banquet legs from Menards on the bottom. Off set so the lay flat.

Weight is 37 pounds.

Used to be under $50.00 to build at the old prices.

Buddy of mine had one of these and I told him how much I admired it. Top was a little different, plywood with an edge board so ammo and other parts like scope covers and tools don't fall off while shooting. I usually put a shooting mat on mine while shooting.. Last birthday one showed up in the back of his vehicle when we went shooting with my name on it... Great little set up, very light and portable to move around, and pretty darned stable. If I get time this year I'm going to build a rotating unit like the ones sold at Midway, etc.... but a bit heavier.

Started shopping for parts and I found the folding legs for these (or I should say the tables they come on) are on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for dirt cheap quite often, even sometimes free because people just want them gone. Mine has adjustable legs by inserting the adjustable legs from those handicap portable toilet stands that fit right into the bottom of the legs. Drill a couple holes and you can adjust about 6-8" up and down.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 04/10/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.